Detectors That Have Earned A Permanent Place In My Collection

Thanks Terry, because I like the ATX and the GPX in time I might get them both, There are enough folks here to get me through the tough spots with the GPX its just with all that going on its more about the need to stay focused in order to get to drips with it, I have my mind set on the Nokta/Makro machines so I want them here by time the weather clears up.

john

OK, in update to first post core units now expanded to five machines, and final position six in play. MX Sport lost its bid at replacing DFX and so is moving on with CTX 3030 officially taking its place for water hunting.

1. The GPZ 7000 - this detector got the most detecting time last year and found nearly all the gold that matters. Lots of people have issues with the GPZ 7000 but I get along really well with mine. It works and works well and for me it is a joy to use. I have no doubt most of my detecting hours this year will be with the GPZ. It will not go away until Minelab pulls the next rabbit out of their hat. My main nugget hunting unit.

2. Garrett ATX - if I am in the water with a mask and snorkel it will most likely be with the ATX. It performs well at places with intense mineralization like Hawaii or Lake Tahoe. It is bullet proof and folds up nicely for travel. I also can cherry pick coins fairly well with it and so it gets a bit of park use. In theory it can handle hot rocks that would trouble my GPZ but so far I have not found a place where I have had to resort to that. Even if Garrett came out with a light dry land version I would keep this machine as my primary water hunting unit.

3. Makro Gold Racer - Goes where my GPZ goes. It can find tiny gold my GPZ can't find and so is a good specimen hunter and bedrock sniper. If the ferrous trash gets too thick for the GPZ, I am getting out the GR. I have only done it once so far but I was thoroughly impressed with the 15" x 13" DD coil on this machine and it would be my choice for hunting big cobble piles or other tailing piles where large deep junk is lurking. It is rapidly becoming a favorite for hunting jewelry. The Gold Racer is the highest frequency machine sporting adjustable discrimination and a target VDI and I have yet to fully explore its potential. My main VLF nugget detector and a sleeper for jewelry detecting.

4. White's DFX / Bigfoot Combo - this is more about the coil than the detector. The Bigfoot is unique in its ability to skim large areas like sports fields for shallow targets. I use a pinpointer and screwdriver only; the name of the game here is quick recovery of lots of targets. I run the DFX in 15 kHz un-normalized mode which expands the low conductive VDI range and run in full tones. All this combined with the DFX Signagraph display is a superb jewelry hunting combo.

5. Minelab CTX 3030 - I usually want to use the ATX above in the water and just dig everything. For underwater areas where there is too much trash, I am getting the latest CTX version just released for use in both fresh and salt water. The CTX is one of the finest general purpose detectors available, and my use of the GPZ 7000 had made me appreciate both the GPS and wireless headphone features. This is also the machine I would grab for working parks or yards where digging holes must be kept to an absolute minimum, as the CTX may have the most accurate discrimination system currently available on a metal detector.

That covers me very well for all my detecting tasks and requires no compromise anywhere. However, I am keeping a position six open as a possibility for machines that excel in trashy locations, especially 1800 and older campsites and cabins pulling non-ferrous items. The CTX actually does pretty well there with a small coil, but much lighter weight options are available or are due soon. I currently have a Deus waiting for V4 upgrade and Racer 2 to play around with and may get an Impact when they become available.

The DFX was designed specifically with Bigfoot in mind. V3i is not and in 22.5 kHz or three frequency mode the 22.5 kHz VDI numbers run three times normal. This can actually be used to your benefit but in my case the DFX is more straight forward, gets the job done, and for half the money tied up. I went back and forth DFX and V3 several times before realizing V3i benefits for me and my use were more imagined than real.

I am not running a detector, I am running a specific coil for a specific task. For me the DFX does the trick. After years of screwing around that particular item for me is finally settled and done with. And since my only reason for having the DFX is to run Bigfoot, I will be putting all my other White's coils up for sale.

Yeah I see what you mean, I am like that with the 12"/300 coil and the 5.3, The MXT Max Coil is sensitive to bits about 0.03 grams But I bought that as a deep seeker and although the 10"DD is sensitive I just don't Gel with the thing, It's sort of no mans land to me, The 950 is a good all rounder and the 6x10 is my cross over from coins to Nuggets.

I still have the SL but I still want a full On PI, as I said the ATX appeals to my sense of adventure and the 4500/5000 would be as far as I want to go,

That new Nokta/Makro machine due out later has my eye along with the Relic and the Gold Racer, I like the F75 too but they are now charging about $1450 for them over here when they were the same price as the MXT a couple of years ago.

John