Amazed At How Quickly White’s Discussion Faded

(Joe D)  White's has such a long list of "Premium detectors" It also had some "Also ran".  I believe some of the detectors which didn't make the top sales only didn't because at the sametime there were White's top of the line detectors winning out. I made a mistake selling My XL Pro to afford the MXT, But in the end it was a good trade up.  I have been on the lookout for a IDX Pro "Closet Queen" A great detector to take a newbie out to learn with.  Garretts did an amazing job of taking White's out, Why did they buy White's out?  They needed to get rid of the competition.  Glad to own White's

• Like 2

For those of you that still own and regularly use Whites VLF and PI detectors, you are fortunate if they are still meeting your detecting demands.

I loved almost every Whites detector I owned. I loved them for their build quality and toughness. I don't own any of them anymore however except for the Garrett/Whites Goldmaster 24K.

Why is that?

I am still able to get out and detect almost everyday. Many of the places I detect have moderate to high iron mineralization and some have very rough terrain. Considering Whites detectors were based in Oregon, you would think that they would have made some detectors that could handle all aspects of VLF detecting in moderate to high iron mineralization along with putting those detectors in a lightweight build that would be beneficial for high altitude, very rough terrain use without wearing out the user. All I can say is NO, they did not do that. Other companies did eventually and I moved on to those detectors that simply detect better and don't weigh over 3 lbs.

I held onto my Whites PIs as long as I could. Offerings from Minelab and now Garrett are just better for me where I detect at this point.

• Like 1

(Jeff said)  " I loved them for their build quality and toughness"   I guess you did like them then.  I can't say I  know much of anything about the new stuff out there.  But I sure can see people having quality problems, not so tough. I'm 68 years old and can't hunt as long as I used to. WV is a killer for iron infested, minerals.  Great for Civil war relics. 

40+ years of White's, Then watching the media of the newer stuff, I see what they are selling, I see the problems. Like I said, I'm old and you know old people hate change LOL's.  MY Tube videos.... KD8GIS Bruce  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KD8GIS said:

(Jeff said)  " I loved them for their build quality and toughness"   I guess you did like them then.  I can't say I  know much of anything about the new stuff out there.  But I sure can see people having quality problems, not so tough. I'm 68 years old and can't hunt as long as I used to. WV is a killer for iron infested, minerals.  Great for Civil war relics. 

40+ years of White's, Then watching the media of the newer stuff, I see what they are selling, I see the problems. Like I said, I'm old and you know old people hate change LOL's.  Tube videos KD8GIS Bruce  

I am closing in on 68 too. Sure I liked the Whites detectors I had. Once I got my hands on an Equinox 800 however, it was all over for Whites VLFs and several other brands as far as I was concerned.

By the way, I had to send back an MX7, MXSport and two different TDIs for repairs. Whites detectors were not immune from breakdowns and quality control either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KD8GIS said:

(PHRUNT)  "people using their 10 year old Whites detector doesn't keep a business alive"  Strange statement, sure it can be true, But when did you see "Quality" as a bad thing.  In My 40+ years I have updated to newer machines, Kept older machines.  I can say My first White's 5000D Series 2  1980 detector could run any day with todays' detectors.  XL Pro, MXT, Wonderful machines.  Bells and Whistles, Ah yes, When a person gets to know a machine often times most of those bells and whistles don't even get used.... Find the People who "Find the good stuff" What are they doing?  Well you will see a common usage. Low to no discrimination and a sensitivity setting as high as can be used.  Why should I give up what works great for me?  

I guess I'm having trouble wording it, I certainly don't see quality as a bad thing, but when you combine quality with detectors that are being left behind by the competition then it's a bad recipe,   You clearly think your 5000D Series 2 can keep up with a modern detector, I'm sure plenty disagree with that and voted with their wallets but it's not about that, it's about if you have one of those machines, even the XL Pro from the 90's and the MXT from 2002, all decades old machines.  Once you own one what else can you buy off Whites to keep the cash flowing into the business to keep them alive? 

An example of how to make money is Minelab with the GP then GPX series, best gold detectors on the market at the time, they could have sat on them forever like Whites did with it's "competitor" the TDI but then sales slow to a crawl, instead they went on to compete with themselves releasing newer models to compete with their own models seeing they had no competition, now they're decades ahead of other brands and only recently has Garrett came into the game with a competitor to the GPX but Minelab already released a GPZ in 2015 which is still well ahead of the Axiom and the GPX series in many ways.   They kept innovating, kept improving, kept people wanting to buy the new models, and stayed in business making big money by doing so.

No matter how good your machines are, unless people keep buying new ones off you then your business can't survive.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KD8GIS said:

(PHRUNT)  "people using their 10 year old Whites detector doesn't keep a business alive"  Strange statement

I understand what Simon was trying to convey! Good or bad, people wanted lighter machines with a broader range of usable conditions, that kept pace with the technology! And the demographic has changed too! Many younger people grew up in a "disposable electronics" world, and don't mind chucking something after a few years of use! Take a look at any charity shop, flee market, etc... and you'll find many "gadgets" that still have life left, but look klunky or dated!

Trust me, while I appreciate my TDI SL at the beach (it's well balanced, considering its weight), it's not waterproof, or really saltproof for that application, like some of the newer machines, and has zero warranty now!😵 Same with my Tesoro's! With the exception of my Sand Shark; but no lightweight, and no warranty!

Like I said before, obviously White's made some bad decisions, as did Tesoro, etc.., build quality wasn't the final straw! But I do appreciate an ultra lightweight machine that i can swing all day, if the conditions warrant, and not feel like my elbow and shoulder are going to explode!

Aging sucks, and so does the fact that finds are not what they used to be; at least in the US anyway! So for the companies still left, their catering to what "most" detectorist say they want; young or old, newbe, or seasoned, prospector, or one or two time users! Or else they will fold too!

Also, the surviving companies have learned to diversify! Some long ago, like Garrett, who "could" survive just fine without the hobby division, but have invested much recently to keep it alive! And I'm happy they did, as the last, real US competitor in the game!

One final note, just to keep me on track with the post title, is while those older machines still do the job, they are just not relevant in many forums, as far as people talking about them much! Good or bad, everyone can make there own judgment, but most like the leading edge, and excitement of new machines, and if that's what keeps the forums alive, than "it is what it is"; my favorite saying BTW! Even on forums that tend to "cater" to the older machines, the posts tend to be few, and far between! 

Monte's😔 (RIP) Forum, AHRPS.org, Is a good example! Even there, they have had to relegate all the defunct companies into one heading now, for lack of posts! And he was a diehard "old detector user"!

It is what it is!!🍀👍👍

• Like 2

No you are making your point, (Selling detectors by any means). I don't use the old 5000D but made a point to it's ability's.  I believe your looking at detectors in the Prospecting terms.  I'm amused at your thinking.  A company only survives by bells and whistles. Take note of Ebay and Legacy detectors. Then again I focus on Civil war relics and coins of the same era. I couldn't tell you the last time I was in a park or school.  Having said that I see many comments from People with $1.000 dollar detectors at the local "Tot Lots" picking up modern coins. Whatever floats their boats. 

White's was always in the top two or three manufactures... You may not know it, But at one time Bounty Hunter was right up there with the best of them.  They then wanted (at any cost) Wanted to sell more detectors (make-um cheap). Today I see expensive stuff made cheap. People make excuses it's the (High tech) so worth the money.  I'll stand by my reasons, White's wasn't a top of the line for nothing. 

At Steve H, Throwing White's under the bus, discounting them, Kinda like saying a 1964 Mustang is not worthy. 

• Like 1

AT Joe D... Monte, Yes that is sad, Always liked his input to the hobby.  (Joe) "Good or bad, everyone can make there own judgment, but most like the leading edge, and excitement of new machines.   (Me)  I can't see "The leading edge" being so far ahead, Light weight, I can see that as a big selling point.  Again my type of detecting (Relics and the era of very old coins) makes for different quality's/abilities desired. I'm sure there's many (Old time) detectorists who don't even look at the forums anymore. I just recently just started stopped by. Hey everyone, Thanks for the comments. 

• Like 2

I don't know if Steve, or anyone else here, threw Whites under any busses! And you have some valid points! But besides the fact that he knows the business inside and out; he's a big boy, and if he feels the need to justify anything here on his forum, I'm sure he will!

All I can say is keep it a clean fight!!🤣🤜🤛

And thanks for some interesting conversation, I haven't posted this much in a while!!😂🍀👍👍

• Like 2

Ya I probably over reacted to Steve's comments on White's.  Tough markets out there today, "New and Improved" has been a selling point for every product in the last 50 years. "The latest and greatist" Heard that one before. Again I'm old, Still know how to cook a great beef stew from scratch.  Can gut a deer and run a trotline as Hank would say. 

I put a few videos up on "The youtube" over the last few years.  KD8GIS Bruce  is my channel.   OH yes the early 80's were a time... Pockets full, silver everywhere.  

• Like 1