Finally Minelab Take Responsibility For Screwing Up The GPX 6000 Speaker

phrunt

The GPX Audio Fix Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had the audio/EMI fix done to your GPX 6000 - if you plan to get it done please don't answer the poll until you've got it back and tested it

2. 2. Did the fix improve your built in speaker EMI stability

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done
  3. 3. Did the fix improve overall stability or improve the detector in some other way?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done

It was blamed on it being such a high sensitivity detector, while possibly a contributing factor it's clearly not the cause.  What we don't know and likely never will was if it was a manucturing error with some detectors or a design flaw with every detector that's been corrected in seemingly much later builds which I think is the case.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see if they replace the case or just the board. I'm positive there is a general shielding issue on my 6000 as well as a number of others I've been around and seen in action. I can put my phone - turned off - against the box and it interferes. That isn't right. Especially if the official excuse is this detector is so ultra sensitive. That's a design flaw to not shield properly then, knowing that. I also feel this problem is related to the detector losing stability when set onto the ground, though I haven't quite worked out why yet, but it has to do with proximity to the ground of the badly shielded control box I think.

This type of issue would affect detectors independent of the speaker, and it would also make detectors more sensitive to EMI variations at different locations, making some places undetectable and others just fine.

I think it's likely both design and manufacturing issues based on what I've seen. I wish I could have opened my control box up without voiding the warranty to see inside and compare to a newer 6000.

I'm positive it's more than just a speaker/EMI problem though. I tried to make that clear on the forum and to Minelab. I guess we will see what this fix does though. 

Mine is in the mail to the repair facility. Will be interesting to see what comes back 

• Like 3

On 11/23/2021 at 6:43 PM, oldcoinhunter said:

My first 6000 was faulty out of the box which they replaced with a new one. I've had the new one for 21 days and probably used it 8 days before it went bad.  When i was boxing it up to ship back i heard something rattling inside of it, not good. In researching i found that they've known them to have major issues since March or April, yet they have refused to address the issue with a production stop or at least look at the different production runs and recall those units. I think when it's all said and done there will be a substantial number of them that are faulty worldwide. As it stands now, Detector Center states that there is a" temporary" 10- 14 day time frame for repairing them. My bet is that it's not going to be temporary. If this failure rate continues there may be grounds for a worldwide class action lawsuit, who knows. Oh, and i owned a business for 40 years. Not a very smart way to run a business. JMO.

This is what I said last November and several people thought I was talking out my a**. Jim

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldcoinhunter said:

This is what I said last November and several people thought I was talking out my a**. Jim

yep, some were brutally defensive.

• Haha 1

Detector is back in my hot callused hands and the outside has all of the character it left my house with. So whatever the fix is, it's inside the machine away from my prying eyes. Powered on fine but had the usual "why did you turn me on inside a building" chaos. Will come back to gripe if I take it out to the field and the issue persists.

Invoice had 1.7 hrs of warranty labor on it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 10/6/2022 at 10:51 AM, WesD said:

I never actually noticed the speaker to be that much more stable than the headphones.  As in the headphones dont clear up the emi warbles. I remember early on that JP posted the headphones were more stable, but on my 6k its bad either way.  Hope this is the fix...

Yes, for me also headphones was not really a fix, which is why I thought it was more a software issue.

As far as people being defensive or pretending the issue did not exist, this topic was discussed and acknowledged on these forum by anyone that knew what they were talking about, from the very start. JP pointed it out almost immediately. There were some who were not experiencing the problem, however, and some of them were less than gracious and empathetic to those that were. It helps to remember that just because we are not having a problem, does not mean that others are not. For me it was never more than a temporary annoyance, so I took it less seriously than others, who may have had more serious versions of the problem. The fact appears to be the severity varies unit to unit, for reasons I do not understand.

• Like 2

Tom and Jason I am curious to know if it fixed your issues.  For me, like Steve said above, it’s a temporary annoyance.  However I’m still finding gold and I don’t really want to risk sending it in to get fixed if it might reduce performance. So I am really curious what you guys find out.

• Like 1