MX Sport End User's Review

On 5/2/2016 at 2:51 AM, Des D said:

It’s such a pity that a machine offering so much and costing so little to buy is plagued with problems and as a result might never really get the opportunity to shine.

Thank you Des for the best review of the MX Sport so far and maybe for some time.

To me the MX Sport was a key machine. I was really looking for White's after so long with nothing of real import to knock my socks off with this one. I was all over the machine prior to release and was primed to be on board as cheerleader number one. If the machine I got had not failed at even basic functions it might have been a far different end result with me. I was looking to be drawn tighter into the White's orbit, but my experience with the MX Sport ended up pushing me farther away. A shame really, both for me and for White's.

I appreciate all the sentiment about being patient and working with manufacturers to sort out issues with machines they release, but I personally have had enough of that nonsense. These companies have no business issuing a machine with as many problems as the MX Sport had on release. The fact others have done it is no excuse - I guess I was holding White's to a higher standard, and in that regard they totally failed. They were the one company I would have pointed to at one time as being the guys that never release anything but a solid product. Well, no more, they not only fell but jumped off that pedestal. Maybe I had no right to put them up there in the first place, but there it is plain and simple.

Anyway, the machine certainly has some strong points and I hope White's gets it all sorted out to everyone's satisfaction. Except mine I guess as they flat out missed the boat with me. At this point I will just wait and see what they have to offer next. I just hope for White's sake a better job is done vetting whatever it is before shipping it out.

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Anyway, the machine certainly has some strong points and I hope White's gets it all sorted out to everyone's satisfaction. Except mine I guess as they flat out missed the boat with me. At this point I will just wait and see what they have to offer next. I just hope for White's sake a better job is done vetting whatever it is before shipping it out.

We'll catch you at the jetty Steve, the boat hasn't even left the harbor yet.

Sounds like White's disappointed ya. The V3i wasn't a smooth launch either, if memory serves. All I can say is things are improving here and we fix our problems on our dime. Makes it a lot easier to learn from a mistake when it hurt$.

If we've lost you as a friend, know that it doesn't go both ways. I'd like to think that a long history of excellent customer service and commitment to the hobby can weather a few storms, but loyalty and legacy can only get us so far. Gotta stay sharp!

Thanks for all the feedback guys, keep it coming. The MX Sport is a helluva detector thanks in part to members of this forum.

I really want Whites to bounce back at full speed, It is a good company and they found me Gold where other were walking over it and I was finding stuff 2000 years old when (Every) other person/brand was missing them, So I have not given up but I will be Annoyed if they stop making the MXTs.

john

20 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

I really want Whites to bounce back at full speed, It is a good company and they found me Gold where other were walking over it and I was finding stuff 2000 years old when (Every) other person/brand was missing them, So I have not given up but I will be Annoyed if they stop making the MXTs.

john

We have no plans to discontinue the MXT line in the near future.

1 hour ago, tboykin said:

We'll catch you at the jetty Steve, the boat hasn't even left the harbor yet.

Sounds like White's disappointed ya. The V3i wasn't a smooth launch either, if memory serves. All I can say is things are improving here and we fix our problems on our dime. Makes it a lot easier to learn from a mistake when it hurt$.

If we've lost you as a friend, know that it doesn't go both ways.

Nothing of the sort Tom as far as lost friends - I don't hold a bit of ill will towards White's and want nothing but success for the company. Disappointed? Yes. White's can do better. But then again so can everyone else.

I started a company in high school and grew it to 50 employees and $22 million a year in sales. Now, that is not as big as White's but it does put me in the same ballpark as being a person who could be CEO at White's. A joke at my company when we screwed up was that we only succeeded by not being as bad as the competition. I even suggested a new ad "buy from us because we suck less than the other guys".

White's goal should not be to simply suck less than the other guys. Yeah, V3i had big release issues - it even had to be renamed from Vision! MX5 had a tone issue. From my perspective the MX Sport release has been a debacle.

Now, those may seem to be unfriendly words, but frankly if I did not care I would not bother saying anything. Sometimes only your friends will tell you when your fly is open.

I understand how hard programming issues can be, but if that is the way things are then there is no excuse any longer for putting out machines that can't be firmware updated at home. The choice is simple - either get it 100% right on release OR be 100% sure to include remote update capability. Any company that issues new detectors that end up needing to get mailed back for firmware updates in the future are going to get a 100% failing grade from me.

The bottom line is I have supported and will continue to support White's when I can. Just don't give me excuses for it to be otherwise!

2 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

it does put me in the same ballpark as being a person who could be CEO at White's

Appreciate your response Steve, you're a fair guy. The above quote is interesting for many reasons...

I think Steve is on the money. As I said in an earlier post, I was looking at purchasing a MX Sport, My expectations of the machine were high. When I saw that people were having to send their machine back for a program update, well I decided to pass at this time. Today, everyone knows how to use a computer and should be able to update firmware.. I will wait for the MX Sport2 or another machine from Whites.. I am a retired electronics engineer and I have always have high expectations of the electronic equipment I purchase. I really like Whites as a company. You have always been good to me. I have been loyal to Whites for over 30 years. I own no other detectors.

Just before retiring there is a business prophecy being taught. It was call “80 percent rule . Do 80 percent work and save money from the 20 percent not done. I did not like it and watched a fortune 500 company quickly loose position. I still remember the CEO telling us nothing has to be perfect, 80 percent will be fine. Don't let Whites fall into this position. Whites should be the leader in detector technology. I expect no less and others feel the same way. Whites is on the pedestal unless they decided to step off.

New quality machines should be rolling out every year or two. Not five to nine years. Carl Moreland is a super smart engineer. Let the engineering staff think and work freely to enable development. Business restraints limit innovation. Don't ride on the past technology, innovate the future.

Tom, I don't know your function at Whites. I can say I think you have done a remarkable job here on the forum promoting Whites.

Update: I have been corrected. I did not know that Carl Moreland was no longer at Whites. Sorry for the mistake.

29 minutes ago, MikePfeiffer said:

Tom, I don't know your function at Whites. I can say I think you have done a remarkable job here on the forum promoting Whites.

Thanks. I'm the "media guy." Video, social, pictures (also heavy lifting, outreach, chainsaw work, some customer service, testing machines, jumping in lakes, and 4x4 shuttle services). It's got a lot of variety, even though technically it's marketing. I have a lot to learn but giving 100% is really all you have to do to go places in life.

I think you guys will be happy with what we're planning in the future. Things are moving, there's a good flow of ideas. Change. Things are constantly changing and we're not fighting that - we're embracing it. It'll take a while for it to trickle down to you guys (the consumers). The MX Sport is just dipping our toe in the water. Wait till we jump in...