Manticore Puzzle

Hunterjunk

With many of you in the US getting closer to having a Manticore in your hands , have a look at my pic below of the shaft ears . I received my machine a week ago and still have not found time to take it for a hunt yet . I keep looking at the shaft ears and wondering why they are so long and thin ? Surely the excessive length just adds to leverage forces that will place added stress on those 90 degree bends ? It will be interesting to see peoples opinions as the machines roll out .

Also the coil cable is very thin at 2mm thinner than the superbly armored Nokta Simplex coil lead . The sexy rough textured carbon shafts look like they will hold grime very well too . Otherwise the machine strikes me as a fine piece of kit and I hope to get a hunt in tomorrow night .

P1010542.thumb.JPG.9fe2d456632581847b40b2501ecfee0c.JPG

34 minutes ago, Hunterjunk said:

With many of you in the US getting closer to having a Manticore in your hands , have a look at my pic below of the shaft ears . I received my machine a week ago and still have not found time to take it for a hunt yet . I keep looking at the shaft ears and wondering why they are so long and thin ? Surely the excessive length just adds to leverage forces that will place added stress on those 90 degree bends ? It will be interesting to see peoples opinions as the machines roll out .

Also the coil cable is very thin at 2mm thinner than the superbly armored Nokta Simplex coil lead . The sexy rough textured carbon shafts look like they will hold grime very well too . Otherwise the machine strikes me as a fine piece of kit and I hope to get a hunt in tomorrow night .

P1010542.thumb.JPG.9fe2d456632581847b40b2501ecfee0c.JPG

Minelab must have only electrical engineers working for them; not a single mechanical engineer on the payroll!   It makes you wonder, doesn’t it?

I'm glad I joined the forum well after the Equinox was introduced, but did live through the Deus 2 debacle. 🤣 Seems to me it reaches a pinnacle and then crashes. One constant is and will be the folks who actually get out there and use these machines. 😉 Thanks for your service 😎

Glad you were able to get one, and hope you're not disappointed in the long run. It doesn't look like they considered fluid dynamics either! 😵

3 hours ago, Hunterjunk said:

I keep looking at the shaft ears and wondering why they are so long and thin ?

They are long and thin so when they break thru the mounting holes there is room to fab a whole set of new holes!!! 

Don't worry, the beach guys will let you know soon if this set-up is worthy. 

9 minutes ago, midalake said:

They are long and thin so when they break through the mounting holes there is room to fab a whole set of new holes!!! 

Don't worry, the beach guys will let you know soon if this set-up is worthy. 

I use a 15 inch coil on my 800 almost all the time.  A couple of months ago I got out my 11 because it was a calm high tide and I was planning on being knee-deep in the water all day. My 11 looked almost new and was never used much since I got the 15 as soon as it was available. But it's still a 4 year old coil. It lasted about 30 minutes of pushing it through the water.  And that was with one of those "coil ear stiffener" things on it. Does the plastic they used in those 800 coils degrade over time?  Did the seawater "melt" it or was it just the extra force it takes to push it through water? I just hope my new Manticore will hold up better under beach conditions!

32 minutes ago, TroyLPN said:

Does the plastic they used in those 800 coils degrade over time?  Did the seawater "melt" it or was it just the extra force it takes to push it through water?

I don't think the plastic degrades. It is just not the correct plastic and thickness needed. 
The BEST thing one can do for the old-style equinox coils is to get a QUALITY ear stiffener [like the sunray brand]. Then Epoxy it right to the coil and ears making it one. I am two plus years in doing so on three coils[2=11" and Minelab 15"] without a failure. Even with the extra epoxy addition do not over tighten and keep your rubber washers fresh. 

They made them long so they have more flex so the dummies that over tighten their coils wont break them as easily 🙂 But yea they look kinda long. That plastic is very flexible... to be seen how the set up lasts for prolonged water use. 

strick

makes me wonder if someone will drill themselves a new set of holes further up...looks a little sketchy to me as is....

CD must not have noticed this yet, lol

6 minutes ago, longbow62 said:

The yoke hole is threaded on one side I believe. Drilling another hole higher up would require some kind of nut for the fastening bolt.

The bolt would be too short to use a nut on it.  You would need a tap & die set to cut some new threads in one of the new holes.