Manticore In Iron (nail Beds)

strick

10 hours ago, scoopjohnb said:

Hold your horses, assumptions, misconceptions, misdirections and wrong turns.

Easy does it.

Today I borrowed a Manty and just followed the preset straight out of the box and went detecting for about 4 hours.

It has jaw dropping performance and instead of using a pinpointer. I was waving handfulls of dirt across the coil old skool style. Why,... because the pinpointer couldn’t see the target half of the time. And the other half the find just stuck to the pointer because the soil was muddy.

Then my buddy who is a Minelab official detexpert involved in the Manticore being what it is today. Messed around with the settings, fiddled with tones, pitch, threshold and whatnot.

And I was hearing ground minerals, small Iron nulling the threshold super fast, large Iron coming through, the occasional false and targets coming in loud and clear as if they were calling me out from the crowd with the familiarty of my wife calling my name!!

Tommorow is another day, another hunt and I feel like my whole detecting experience bag has been ripped to bits and I’m puzzling with unknown pieces to make it fit.

But DAMN THIS PUPPY HUNTS!!!

And then what is your opinion about this iron falsing issue ?   I am interested because I am a European user too , thx

8 hours ago, strick said:

I honestly don't know if there ever is  place where you could max out the sensitivity on this machine. The highest I've ever been able to run it was on 26-27 and thats pushing it. It gets too chattery if you run it any higher where I live.

I can run mine with the sensitivity of 28-30 with little bit of chatter - huntable for me, regarding the sensitivity I am happy. For now I use/test the manticore on clean/minimal iron ground only to learn what its telling me like a first date so to speak 😄.

The setting I use are :

Sensitivity: 28-30

recovery speed: 4

Enhanced audio theme with rich profile

My concern is the deep faint signal "missing' when using the audio setting above.

23 minutes ago, fishersari said:

I can run mine with the sensitivity of 28-30 with little bit of chatter - huntable for me, regarding the sensitivity I am happy. For now I use/test the manticore on clean/minimal iron ground only to learn what its telling me like a first date so to speak 😄.

The setting I use are :

Sensitivity: 28-30

recovery speed: 4

Enhanced audio theme with rich profile

My concern is the deep faint signal "missing' when using the audio setting above.

I’ve tried the enhanced audio mode and find it too quiet for my ears....I’ll keep revisiting it. 

Strick

2 minutes ago, strick said:

I’ve tried the enhanced audio mode and find it too quiet for my ears....I’ll keep revisiting it. 

Strick

Headphones or speaker? for me the speaker on the manticore is not suitable for rich audio profile in normal or in enhanced audio theme. The speaker is clear enough for normal theme with simple/medium profile tho..

I’ve only used the headphones with enhanced factory settings and it’s too quiet for me. I’ll go and revisit it again and try the other settings. 

Strick

54 minutes ago, PSPR said:

There is a video that popped up this morning that has (I believe) Minelab explaining the use of the ferrous limits.

It seems in some parts of this video the narrator is simply reading from the manual -- very similar wording.  I find it interesting that there is more info on the Eqx 800/600 Iron Bias settings in this short (~6 minute) Manticore video than anything I've seen out of ML in the five years of that detector being in end-user hands!

14 hours ago, strick said:

I honestly don't know if there ever is  place where you could max out the sensitivity on this machine. The highest I've ever been able to run it was on 26-27 and thats pushing it. It gets too chattery if you run it any higher where I live.

10 hours ago, scoopjohnb said:

What is really amazing it the machines ability to seperate non-ferrous from ferrous whilst its all is under the same coil influence and the speed at which it does it.

If it’s falsing too much for your liking, you simply have your sensitivity set too high.

It is telling you there is a part of this nail that’s interesting.

But you can be sure that a non ferrous located adjacent to the nail at depth will come through with correct ID.

It seems at this point from actual users like you two that the gain/sensitivity setting on this detector may be getting insufficient attention among the YouTube videographers I've watched.  Note Gerry was operating his Manticore in the 15-17 range, but his conditions (saltwater, shallow targets) certainly affected that.

There have been quite a few rules-of-thumb developed over decades of using single frequency detectors that the new MF's have pushed to the wayside.  Cranking up the gain/sens into the noise and either leaving it there or backing off just a bit used to be the advice of many highly experienced users.  Is that another rule-of-thumb that needs serious reconsideration today?

I've wondered if the Manticore gain range is more/less the same as the Eqx 800/600 range, with the numbers higher than 25 (max on the 800/600) being the new "more power" feature of the Manticore.  But that is way oversimplifying since it's comparing apples to oranges.  Still, in my quiet park/school sites I ran 22-24 when EMI allowed, but did well with 17 and up.  Jeff McLendon has reported getting pretty deep coins with similar low gain settings (although certainly different mineralization conditions than mine) in his Denver park hunting.  So maybe the extra headroom on the Manticore is a Trojan Horse for many but the driest, clean beach sand sites?

So much to find out over the next several months (years?) and I'm glad you two are bringing us back to the center line (pun intended 😁).  More users with Manticore in hand are needed -- many more.  That ball seems to be securely in ML's court, though....