Manticore In Iron (nail Beds)

strick

So I am sure a lot of you like me have watched a few you tubers videos and read a few threads, I have had enough of doing the you tube thing now and am happy to wait at least six months to see what the consensus is. Is anyone disappointed with what they have seen and the urge to own a Manticore less compelling. I personally have got past the must have phase. 

Well if anyone is hot to get one, call around to some dealers as I found one that could ship today if I wanted to pull the trigger. Cabelas is also showing them in stock again. Myself I can wait. I don't see anything but confusing reports with regards to the Manticore.

Strick, this early on, what's your gut feel of the Nox 800 compared to the Manticore in iron?  My 800 falses a good bit with the settings I like to run, but I've learned to recognize most iron with it just the same.  Usually, when I dig iron, I was expecting to. "Usually".

But wondering, how you feel the Manticore compares?  Same, better, worse, can't tell yet?  If it's the same or any better, I think I'll learn to recognize most falses easily enough with some hours of practice.  Never going to recognize them all, but I don't mind digging some surprises, not all of them are bad.

- Dave

22 hours ago, PSPR said:

After he got his own, he posted a video saying that both Minelab and XP sent him the detectors he is using and without obligation. 

You are not sent free detectors without obligation. The obligation is to post about them, and very few people will bite the hand that feeds them. The people sending the detectors expect to get a positive impact for what they are paying of course. If the impact is negative, they will be explaining to their boss why the person got a free detector. Yeah, he can pretty much post whatever he wants, but they can also stop with the freebies.

Most of what the the Tubers are showing me is that they need to get the hours in and learn the detectors before making videos. But I guess people eat it up anyway, so why bother, right? :smile:

Drama drama drama. The Manticore is a very high gain detector and that does not come free. It’s strength will be in moderate to lower mineral ground on silver i.e. turf hunting. That was what it was made to do. Like Axiom it has a redline top end, and people will benefit a lot from backing the sensitivity down in difficult situations. But yeah, seems like it was pushed to market quickly at the end, surprised me for sure. No doubt a update tweak will come at some point, but that's pretty normal these days.

The reality like it or not is a handful of testers find 98% of the issues, then the public ferrets out the other 2%. Maybe not bugs, just displeasure with something not working as expected. If an update can address that - well, they included that ability for a reason. Which by the way has not nor has ever been to upgrade people into new detector capability for free. The update ability is purely for bug fixes and tweaks, that's all. These people are in the business of selling hardware, and even if they could update a Equinox 800 to be a 900, they would not.

What Steve said above is spot on.   People are impatient critters but time will tell on these new introductions & the basics of good detector operation don't become obsolete with any new models.

I do think Nokta has broken the mold on updates only fixing bugs. They have changed the rules to a good extent by consistently improving a product by adding new performance/features, many of which are end User/Field suggestions. Their responsiveness to Users is also changing the old rules.   I think it is all good & will benefit us all & the Industry as a whole. Then there is price point/value...

21 minutes ago, JCR said:

I do think Nokta has broken the mold on updates only fixing bugs. They have changed the rules to a good extent by consistently improving a product by adding new performance/features, many of which are end User/Field suggestions. Their responsiveness to Users is also changing the old rules.   I think it is all good & will benefit us all & the Industry as a whole. Then there is price point/value...

I think Nokta broke the mold for pushing Legend to market way, way too early, and so had to apply more fixes and updates than was normal to get the product to where it should have been on release. More updates is not actually a good thing, it's more a sign of a job left undone in product development before shipping.

8 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I think Nokta broke the mold for pushing Legend to market way, way too early, and so had to apply more fixes and updates than was normal to get the product to where it should have been on release. More updates is not actually a good thing, it's more a sign of a job left undone in product development before shipping.

The next update for the Legend will be a Beta software update which was publicly announced by Nokta. They are openly requesting constructive end user feedback and even gave some feedback guidelines. Talk about breaking the mold….

2 hours ago, UT Dave said:

Strick, this early on, what's your gut feel of the Nox 800 compared to the Manticore in iron?  My 800 falses a good bit with the settings I like to run, but I've learned to recognize most iron with it just the same.  Usually, when I dig iron, I was expecting to. "Usually".

But wondering, how you feel the Manticore compares?  Same, better, worse, can't tell yet?  If it's the same or any better, I think I'll learn to recognize most falses easily enough with some hours of practice.  Never going to recognize them all, but I don't mind digging some surprises, not all of them are bad.

- Dave

In the stock settings it falses more than the 800. I have yet to take it to the foothills where the ground is hotter. Maybe this weekend. The only iron I have dug with it are of the rusty bolt with big head variety. Roofing nails will give any detector a fit due to the composition of them. Yesterday i actually dug a iron bolt that hit well all the way around and did not false at all. Thats when I decided I needed to rise the iron volume and raise the upper limit ferrous zone from 9-11.  I think most including me have been running in too high sensitivity. The machine is faster than the Nox 800 the target trace easily eliminates bottle caps. If one falls outside the blanked out zone it's easy to tell. I've dug a bunch just to keep proving it to myself. The manticore is going to be a great turf hunter for finding coins in and around trash. I don't know about gold rings yet...have not found one lol...I'm starting to think mine is cursed. The machine like nickels well enough and finds pull tabs in all various stages of decay. So it should find the gold you would think... For me the machine is keeper. I most likely will get rid of my 2 800's....upgrade to a 900,  keep the Deus 2 and most likely get rid of the CTX finally after all these years. Or not...

strick 

Nokta have done updates to fix updates that didn’t work as intended, that by definition is beta testing.

Suits some people, I’d like the frequent  software fixes and improvements but to many it’s likely a pain and they would prefer a more polished product at release especially with all the problems people have had with installing updates.

it’s all options, we can choose between the detectors we prefer based on stuff like this.