Steve’s Experimental Axiom Settings

Some very interesting tweeks to play with Steve.

I assume the machine does its own "self function test" test when you switch it on but I like the idea of interrupting it's frequency scan at either end of its scale. I'm going to think about your threshold tips...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, microsniper said:

Im used to a steady gpx threshold thats tuned for quiet operation and I have had a difficult time achieving this on the Axiom.    I wish i could  better articulate (Steve maybe you could elaborate) how it is different,

Minelab employed a lot of filtering to get the old GPX series threshold rock solid steady. It’s telling that they went away from that with the GPZ 7000 and GPX 6000. Some of what you are experiencing as EMI is no doubt just the fact that ever since the GPX 5000 every prospecting PI made since has had a less stable threshold.

As far as I am concerned the GPX 5000 and older machines are great detectors. They may be the better option for some people. Some old GPX users will find the Axiom to not be to their liking because it is different. Others will be happy they switched. I’m not trying to push the needle either way. Truth is people will just have to sort it out for themselves on their own ground, but as this thread highlights it might take a little time and experimentation to find out what works best.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Евгений said:

Hi everyone. Say Steve, you worked with both 5000 and Axiom, which device do you think is better? Sorry, maybe Google translated something wrong.

I pretty much answer that question at another thread. Long story short neither is “better” overall. Which might be best depends on the individual involved and what they are trying to do. That fact I have an Axiom and not a GPX 5000 already says what works best for me. Others may decide differently.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/19/2023 at 11:13 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

1. Minimum Threshold - this shows the most promise for developing a silent search “Bogenes Settings” methodology for the Axiom. -7 still has some audio break through. -9 is pretty much dead silent but seems too aggressive? I’ve settled on -8 so far as a preference, and was surprised at how well small nuggets jump out still, and with good depth. It also allows for a bit higher sensitivity setting, so I would highly encourage people to try these very low Threshold settings with either a normal or slightly boosted sensitivity setting. For some situations I’m thinking I might be employing this a lot. Super pleasant way to hunt for those that hate a threshold. I just wish there was more nuance as right now the jump between -7 to -8 to -9 is coarser than I’d like. I put it on my wish list for an update.

A good showing for Steve's Bogenes Settings (Minimum Threshold)

The other day I had a couple hours to kill and went to a 20 foot X 20 foot nugget patch that a fellow detectorist friend had shown me. We'd already pounded this small area pretty heavily with his Gold Monster and my Axiom thinking that nothing was left. I decided to try Bogenes Settings (Threshold -8, Sensitivity 5, mono coil, GB 50-26). The machine ran dead quiet until the first light signal broke through. I was able to pick up two pieces (.22 & .29 grams) at 5-6 inches in mineralized conglomerate in about ten minutes when with other noisier settings with threshold, I had not picked up these bits. The conglomerate was so hard I had to beat on it with my pick for about 5-10 minutes for each recovery. (note: FWIW - I usually have the machine set to slow speed, but had forgotten to set that so it was at normal speed - go figure).  

Anyway I'm sold on Bogenes Settings. What a quieter, pleasant way to hunt as well.

Thanks Steve.

2023-11-28 15-31-54.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I have also been experimenting with the minimum threshold trick which I stumbled onto with my Axiom, I usually am in normal mode -7 threshold on sensitivity 4 with 11x7 DD at a place near me that has terrible emi. This place is the worst of all worlds for a metal detector, it is an old hand placer near power lines and houses and a busy 2 lane hwy that has lots of hot rocks, magnetite and iron rich soil. The 11” mono will not ground balance there which is why I got the smaller dd coil. It is 5 minutes from my house and I really wanted to detect it just because of how close to home it is. So I go there with the new dd hoping for a huge change and except for the dd actually ground balancing there was still plenty of noise and I was disappointed again.  Out of despiration after like 10 frquency scans ground balances, factory resets and headscratching with no noticeable change I started adjusting different settings one at a time from min to max just trying to quiet my Axiom. Changing modes did not help much and I had to run sensitivity down to 1-2 with the 11x7 dd coil just to to tame the emi down to a slightly chatty level.  then I adjusted the threshold all the way down and it got quiet! I upped the sensitivity to 4 & 5 and back to normal mode, it was still quiet! Then I bumped the threshold up untill it started breaking through at -6/-7 and settled on -7 which is almost silent at this spot. I am far from a PI detecting expert and wasnt sure this was a good idea so I started sweeping over a couple of lead test targets while going back and fourth from a setting of mode normal/ sensitivity 2/threshold 0 to the silent sensitivity 4/ threshold-7  and at maybey 2” and could hear them much better without the noisy emi/threshold. Then I poked them in the full depth of my index finger, filled with dirt re ground balance and they were still loud and clear! My testers are small #6 & #4 lead shot inside 1 layer of electrical tape for easy recovery. So then I log onto DP this morning to ask if this will work or if im missing something and I spotted this thread which makes me feel even better about this method! Now if I can get through all the rusty flakes and nails I might find some gold there someday! Lol. As said above the “Bogenes setting” makes for a “very pleasant way to hunt” 

• Like 3