Minelab New Models Survey - Manticore/equinox

Satisfied with your new detector?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Did you buy one of the new Multi-IQ Models?

• Equinox 700 and I'm happy with it
    • Equinox 700 and I'm not all that impressed with it
    • Equinox 900 and I'm happy with it
    • Equinox 900 and I'm not all that impressed with it
    • Manticore and I'm happy with it
    • Manticore and I'm not all that impressed with it
    • I bought a Manticore and am undecided about its performance
    • I bought an Equinox 700/900 and am undecided about its performance
  2. 2. How are you finding Target ID stability and EMI habndling

• I bought the Manticore and I think ID's have improved over the older Equinox
    • I bought the Equinox 700/900 and I think ID's have improved over the older Equinox
    • I bought the Manticore and I think ID's are worse but no worse than they should be with the expanded ID range
    • I bought the Equjnox 700/900 and I think ID's are worse but no worse than they should be with the expanded ID range
    • I bought the Manticore and I think it's abnormally unstable with ID's
    • I bought the Equinox 700/900 and I think it's abnormally unstable with ID's
    • Equinox 700/900 and I'm finding it's improved in high EMI
    • Equinox 700/900 and I'm finding EMI handling worse!
    • Manticore and I'm finding it's improved with EMI
    • Equinox 700/900 and EMI handling is about the same as the older Equinox
    • Manticore and I'm finding EMI handling worse!
    • Manticore and EMI handling is about the same as the older Equinox
  3. 3. Have you tried the new Manticore firmware?

• Yes, I like it
    • Yes, I'm not sure about it yet
    • Yes, I rolled back to the older firmware, I didn't like the new one
    • I can't, I bought a Nox and they've not given me a new firmware update yet :(

The only thing I use from the new update is sensitivity boost. Usually I ran mine in 25 to 27 sensitivity due to deep targets/ Here in my locations our definition of deep target is the target were deeper than pinpointer length. Sensitivity below 20 (if i remember correctly) the target disappear completely. With sensitivity boost, its become much easier to interrogate signals, especially the whisper one. I wish minelab can include the setting of recovery speed in the 'sensitivity boost' functions. I mean when I press the sensitivity boost its jump up to +5 sensitivity and also a recovery speed of my choosing for target interrogations. 

I'm one who is slow to draw conclusions.  As such I've been radio silent (and will continue to be for a while, with exceptions like below).

Filtering out opinions from people who have never touched one, only seen one that a friend is using, etc. silences a lot of the noise.  The signal that remains seems to be mostly positive, but with reservations.  That appears to be true both before the update and even with the update.

Interestingly, my responses so far put me in the minority of 1 for the first two questions!  For another thing, the question about the update (question #3) doesn't even include my intended response (and the survey forced me to answer question 3 or else not include me at all).  I still have not found the time to download or install the update, but now that it's known to be reversible I will get to that and do some testing.  (This weekend?  Maybe, but don't hold your breath.)

My overall impression is that the Manticore holds promise even for those of us in moderate and higher mineralization, but for the most part it's going to take time (for me in particular) to extract the performance improvements over the Equinox 800.  Those who want instant gratification, with possible exception of water hunters and the related extremely low mineralziation (e.g. Florida peninsula) detectorists, are probably not going to be patient enough to get this detector to shine for them.  But how is that different from other top-end IB/VLF's such as the XP Deus 2??  A lot of detectors can get you 80-90% of the way to top performance.  If you want that last 10-20% you're going to have to work at it.  Is that different than for any other worthwhile endeavor?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2