Minelab New Models Survey - Manticore/equinox

Satisfied with your new detector?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Did you buy one of the new Multi-IQ Models?

• Equinox 700 and I'm happy with it
    • Equinox 700 and I'm not all that impressed with it
    • Equinox 900 and I'm happy with it
    • Equinox 900 and I'm not all that impressed with it
    • Manticore and I'm happy with it
    • Manticore and I'm not all that impressed with it
    • I bought a Manticore and am undecided about its performance
    • I bought an Equinox 700/900 and am undecided about its performance
  2. 2. How are you finding Target ID stability and EMI habndling

• I bought the Manticore and I think ID's have improved over the older Equinox
    • I bought the Equinox 700/900 and I think ID's have improved over the older Equinox
    • I bought the Manticore and I think ID's are worse but no worse than they should be with the expanded ID range
    • I bought the Equjnox 700/900 and I think ID's are worse but no worse than they should be with the expanded ID range
    • I bought the Manticore and I think it's abnormally unstable with ID's
    • I bought the Equinox 700/900 and I think it's abnormally unstable with ID's
    • Equinox 700/900 and I'm finding it's improved in high EMI
    • Equinox 700/900 and I'm finding EMI handling worse!
    • Manticore and I'm finding it's improved with EMI
    • Equinox 700/900 and EMI handling is about the same as the older Equinox
    • Manticore and I'm finding EMI handling worse!
    • Manticore and EMI handling is about the same as the older Equinox
  3. 3. Have you tried the new Manticore firmware?

• Yes, I like it
    • Yes, I'm not sure about it yet
    • Yes, I rolled back to the older firmware, I didn't like the new one
    • I can't, I bought a Nox and they've not given me a new firmware update yet :(

I thought it's time we kicked off a poll to see how happy people are with their purchase if they've purchased one of the new models.  The forum limits the number of questions you can ask so it's a pretty simple poll to get an idea of how many people bought one of these new models and how many are finding it as good or better than their old model.

Feel free to comment below with other things you're found with the new models, hopefully Minelab reads it and takes not of anything people bring up of importance.

One more poll choice: is EMI handling about the same on the Equinox 700/900 and Equinox 600/800. I would vote yes.

9 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

One more poll choice: is EMI handling about the same on the Equinox 700/900 and Equinox 600/800. I would vote yes.

Thanks, fixed. I don't think you can change your vote though.

I might guess that the poll could turn out to be about 50/50 but I am pretty sure, it tips negative if you include headphones and coils. 🙄

yea, the poll only let me ask 3 questions.

I had pretty low expectations for the Manticore, I think, compared to much of what I was reading from others before it shipped.  I expected zero depth gain over the 800.  Wasn't expecting more stable ID's (but wasn't expecting worse).  Was hoping (not expecting) noticeably improved EMI handling, that's the main reason I bought it and the Manticore has delivered on that and it's enough for me to call myself satisfied.

It is deeper in certain conditions, the salt beach particularly.

I use and like the target trace more than I though I would - I actually didn't care about it at all, pre-purchase.  But I do use it now and do like it.

It's all around nicer and better handling.

I just wasn't expecting to be "wowed" or expecting anything like a "game changer".  So the fact I'm not wowed and it's not a game changer didn't cause disappointment.

So, yeah, satisfied.  Didn't like the update though.  Can't see myself using the big red numbers or the stabilizer, but even with those turned off I didn't like the overall effect on the machine.  Rolled back and am happy with it again.

- Dave

Thank you Phrunt and to all of you who posted about your experiences with Manticore, I want to take it but I hesitate the price in France is 2,000 euros, it's still a nice sum. I work on a soft ground without exaggerated mineralization for the relics and beach. Compared to the Nox 800, the 900 and the Manticore have stability problems although the Mc firmware apparently corrects it without altering the performance in depth, at least that's what the sales representative in France says. I also see resale of the Manticore on online sites, the question I ask myself in relation to some of your posts is: 1- is this in relation to the fact that the Manticore is complex to use like the Deus II and that there is a lack of patience from their users in front of an exceptional machine above the 800 or 2 - the Manticore has disappointing results given the false signals. although the firmware comes the right way. the seller in France lets ''for now'' hear a commercial Flop compared to Déus II that I had. I like the Minelab concept with the horseshe such as the Nox 800 and what I like may not please an XP pro and I would be the only one to make the decision, so your multiple opinions interest me because on DP there are multiple types of users and it may be one of his machines to be given a chance.

I had both the Manticore and the 900 until recently when I sold the 900 to a forum member here. For me it was overkill to own both. I'm pretty happy with the Manticore and my experience pretty much mirrors UT Dave's including rolling back to the old version. However, I don't even have the Manticore in my possession at the moment because it was sent back to Minelab. I'm supposed to be getting a replacement Manticore and will be doing some of the same testing I did on the old one to see if it acts any different. Minelab wants to rule out a bad detector before diving into the new software as a possible issue. I will say Minelab does pay attention to forums and YouTube videos. Within a day of posting the video Minelab called me to try and resolve the issue. We'll see what happens when I get the replacement. But even if I end up running the older software version. I'm happy with the way the Manticore performs.