Anyone Using The Manticore For Gold Prospecting?

Hello all,

Will be leaving next Friday enroute to the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska for a year or so and was wondering if anyone on this awesome forum has used their Manticore (with upgraded software) for gold prospecting yet? I know the Kenai may not be the best spot for gold prospecting but I'll have to at least give it a try with the Manticore. I've used pans and a sluice box in the past along with my Nox 800 in the Kenai and found a little gold and a lot of buckshot.

I know I really need the small coil and I think they'll be on the market soon I think.

Also, if anyone reading this is in the Soldotna area, give me shout. I'd love to meet up and go on some outings.

Thanks,

John

John, if I was out west somewhere or anywhere there was a chance of finding gold, I would be using my Manticore for prospecting for sure. And I would be praying for the small coil release. 😃 That's something that has always interested me along with relic hunting.

But....I'm stuck in Florida so my only chance for gold is jewelry or maybe Spainish reales on the east coast if you are very, very lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply Brad. Been on the road and just got into Soldotna, Alaska two days ago.

Will be testing the manticore out in the future in some gold creeks once the high water goes down. Waiting on the M8 coil for sure.

John

It's more than capable as a prospecting detector, it was a little behind the 800 on small gold prior to the update, after the update it is very much neck and neck, once that little coil comes out it should be pretty good I think.  You'd be surprised how well the 11" coil can do on small gold on both the Nox and Manticore so if the M8 doesn't make it in time don't be put off using it, you can find absolutely tiny specs with the 11" coil with the size being the limiting factor getting in between rocks and bushes more so than the sensitivity, yes the smaller coils are more sensitive but the gold they're better on is very tiny.  The benefit to the 11" is it's fantastic on bigger deeper gold!

When I found this 1.2 grammer I would have been happy with it's depth with my GPX

IMG_20190511_154854.jpg.7b010dca838205836588334a02936d8d.jpg

The Equinox and Manticore are a bit unusual in that the bigger coils are still very sensitive to small gold.

Hello and thanks for the info on the prospecting aspects of both the Nox and the Manticore. I appreciate the info 🙂

Been hammering the Sockeye salmon the past five days and haven't even had time to pull out either detector. Once the fishing slows down, I'll be out looking for a few nuggets as well as some old homesteads of miners. You never know what is lurking in the ground.

Hope you have a great day!

John