Here's A Treat For You Folks In Michigan

That is not the way to rob a armored car, but I could see someone doing that in that part of the state.

I would hate to pick up all those coins just because I wouldn't be able to keep them.

3 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

That is not the way to rob a armored car, but I could see someone doing that in that part of the state.

I would hate to pick up all those coins just because I wouldn't be able to keep them.

Once they're done clearing up the wreck and any of those pennies still in bags there will be plenty of loose pennies left on the ground that they will not brother to pickup, not worth the time involved for just pennies.

So I'm sure you could go there afterwards and pickup as many pennies as you can and keep them, go for it!!!

Shoot they will all corrode in a few days — 😆 

The funniest part of this story is that someone is using an armored truck to haul zinc cents.  Can you even imagine that someone would attempt to steal them.   No one will even pick them off the ground when they are free.  

If that happened here in the U.K, the clean-up would be easier, as the majority of our 1c-equivalent coins ( 1 pence ) are steel, plated with a lustrous layer of the finest copper. So a magnet would do a good job of 'sweeping up'. Hopefully it would be completed before they turn into brown bubble-surfaced garbage.

14 hours ago, sodbuster said:

The funniest part of this story is that someone is using an armored truck to haul zinc cents.

I would replace 'funniest' with "most ridiculous'.  I wonder when you include all expenses (salaries, fuel cost, vehicle depriciation, overhead paperwork, etc.) how much it costs to transport a USA cent in this case.  And, yes, they can be picked up easily on sidewalks, etc. all over the country, yet the health cost (likelihood of injury or even disease transmission) lowers that opportunity value, too.

There are certainly far bigger issues that require the attention of legislators than perpetuating the minting and distribution of USA 1-cent pieces, but it does seem to be just one more example of humans failing to use the brains they were born with.

Us Aussies lost our 1¢ and 2¢ back in 1992 but they we copper/bronze. I quess this is why.

Australian one-cent coin - Wikipedia 

They were introduced on 14 February 1966 in the decimalisation of Australian currency and was withdrawn from circulation in 1992 (along with the two-cent coin)   A 1¢ in 1966 would have a purchasing power equal to about 15c in 2022 values.