Big Five Now The Big Four - First Texas No Longer A Player?

From a UK point of view I don’t think Garrett are up there in the top four.

The UK Fisher would be like C Scope, been around 40+ years but same old tech.

Its a shame Rutus don’t have stronger marketing as they are very good underrated detectors.

• Like 5

Agreed Dan in UK not sure how many detectorist are still using Fisher...............

RR

• Like 1

I didn't see Micronta in that first list! 😁

I'm only half serious about that emoji, because I wonder if the Micronta detectors actually outsold some, or even all the companies in that first list. More specifically, the exposure of those Micronta detectors was massive, considering they were in every Radio Shack store and catalogue. Add to that the very low cost, and they probably sold a s--t ton of them. Most of which were probably returned, or found a new home in the back of a closet lol.

Ya' never know. Micronta might make a comeback and be on Steve's next list 🤣

• Haha 1

I said U.S. perspective. Certainly might be different elsewhere, with brands not even mentioned being premier in other markets. And I’m talking about what is selling new, not what people are using per se. There are still people using White’s but they are a part of the past and not what will drive the technology forward.

Based on total sales worldwide Garrett is still a major brand, even if they are missing from some local markets. They sell far more in Europe than you might think. Still, I’m curious. So in the UK what brand would you put in Garrett’s place? Minelab, Nokta, XP, and ?????

• Like 2

Tesoro didn't exist 50 years ago. They didn't start until 1980. Also, Metrotech was founded about 1962, and they still exist to this day. They are strictly for utility/commercial purposes, not hobbyist metal detectors now...

I can't figure Fisher out. High level, the CZ line is going down or dead. The tech is old and outdated. I'm not sure what they are doing with the AQ. Their website hasn't been updated in years.

On the low end, I think bounty hunter is profitable and making them a lot of $. Amazon says 3k+ bounty hunter tracker IVs sold in last month alone.

But fisher needs to do something. They should have improved the CZ line when minelab came out with the CTX then equinox but they did nothing. CZ's were awesome. I had the CZ21. Beast of the machine that was just as good as my Excal and was indestructible...heavy too

I don't think of Fisher after the buyout by First Texas as Fisher.   I think of Fisher as First Texas Products.   And I think Tom and Dave Johnson have achieved their mutual metal detecting goals and you will not see another headliner out of First Texas until Tom retires and the new guy wants his own metal detector legacy and can find an engineer to provide it.   Until then Tom/Dave's legacy in the (T2/F75/Goldbug Pro) will still be around for years to come. 

My nickel.
Mike

• Like 3

Compass, White's and Fisher are responsible for 99% of all my finds over the last 50 years and my only Minelab got waterlogged this past week. Fortunately, the White's and Fishers were well built and are still serving me well to this day. If I buy another detector I may finally consider Nokta or Garrett.

• Like 5

If I was to win a big lottery I would consider creating a metal detector company and license with Garrett to take the V3i forward into the future.   Find a savvy marketing human that can navigate the world as it is today and can keep up with the changing market place venues.

Alas....odds are not in my favor.

HH
Mike

• Like 4