Introducing The Minelab Profind 40

16 minutes ago, phrunt said:

If you end up with a 40 I'd be interested in what you think of it, particually if it runs stable.

Is that relative to local EMI or by maxing it out….

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, Tony said:

Can someone enlighten me on why there is no love for the humble 9v battery. The physical form factor relative to 6 x 1.5 AA batteries is surely an advantage. I can get a 4 pack of Duracell 9v for a reasonable price. Is it a short run for the 9v?

All you need to know about this power source:
The rechargeable battery must be only NiMh and its capacity cannot be more than 270 mAh
Check the size of this power supply, manufacturers look at this parameter differently (especially for non-rechargeable batteries)

Why is it good you said, compact, affordable, but its capacity has remained in the last century, if you are for reliability - it suits you.

19 minutes ago, Tony said:

Is that relative to local EMI or by maxing it out….

Just in general, the 35 especially in the higher sensitivity settings can just be unstable, going off in the air for no reason.  Gets quite frustrating when using it.  

3 hours ago, pavelka72 said:

Why is it good you said, compact, affordable, but its capacity has remained in the last century, if you are for reliability - it suits you.

For example ; 

- ML profind 35 :

1 X 9V NiMh rechargeable Energizer  175mAh X 9V     --> capacity  1,6WH

- Teknetics Tekpoint : 
 X AA NiMh rechargeable Lekium  2100mAh X 1,2V   --> capacity   2,5WH

Then the Tekpoint with its 2 AAs has 56% more capacity than the Profind with its single 9V battery

I dont know for pinpointers with embedded li ion battery ( Quest Xpointer Max , XP MI4 MI6 , Sphinx 03 , etc .. ) because their capacity is not indicated on their tech specs , but from my experience with the Quest Xmax they probably have a much more important capacity than a single 9V battery  ..

DSC00496.JPG

22 minutes ago, palzynski said:

Например ; 

- ML profind 35 :

1 аккумулятор Energizer 9 В NiMh 175 мАч X 9 В --> емкость  1,6 Втч

- Teknetics Tekpoint:     2  аккумулятора Energizer AA NiMh 2000 мАч X 1,2 В --> емкость  2,4 Втч 

Тогда Tekpoint с его 2 батареями AA имеет на 50% больше емкости, чем Profind с одной батареей 9 В.

Я не знаю для пинпоинтеров со встроенным ионно-литиевым аккумулятором (Quest Xpointer Max, XP MI4 MI6, Sphinx 03 и т.д..), потому что их емкость не указана в их технических характеристиках, но, судя по моему опыту с Quest Xmax, они, вероятно, намного важнее емкость, чем одиночный аккумулятор 9В..

You estimate the size of a tank of gasoline, but do not take into account the consumption of gasoline per 100 km (current consumption). After all, for you, as a user, the main thing is how long you can not charge your battery (to drive to a gas station) and what is very important (you forgot when you last charged the battery) to correctly indicate the battery discharge in advance so as not to find a discharged pinpointer in the morning before trip.
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying it's not the whole truth.

1 hour ago, pavelka72 said:

You estimate the size of a tank of gasoline, but do not take into account the consumption of gasoline per 100 km (current consumption). After all, for you, as a user, the main thing is how long you can not charge your battery (to drive to a gas station) and what is very important (you forgot when you last charged the battery) to correctly indicate the battery discharge in advance so as not to find a discharged pinpointer in the morning before trip.
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying it's not the whole truth.

I was assuming that the electronic consumption is the same between the 2 pinpointers . Unless the ML consumes far less than the others , but I dont believe to miracles ... 🙂

To summarize , with a similar consumption between 2 pinpointers , the one with 2 AAs should last 50% more than the one with a single 9V 

Btw as it seems you are the designer of the Sphinx , for info what is the capacity of the Lion battery that you re using with this pinpointer ? thx

1 minute ago, palzynski said:

Я предполагал, что электронное потребление одинаково между двумя пинпоинтерами. Разве что ML потребляет намного меньше остальных, но я не верю в чудеса...  🙂

Подводя итог, при одинаковом потреблении между 2-мя пинпоинтерами, тот, что с 2-мя АА должен прослужить на 50% больше, чем тот, что с одним 9В. 

Кстати, судя по всему, вы являетесь разработчиком Sphinx или, если это не конфиденциально, какой тип батареи Lion вы используете с этим пинпоинтером? спасибо

You are considering the current consumption of two different products using different physical principles for determining metal (+ discrimination for ML, this is also consumption, I think. The second one you are considering does not have this function). It cannot be the same.
Users don't usually go that deep (although what we're discussing is very simple) and manufacturers usually don't write uptime because it's a very slippery term with many inputs and there's sure to be someone who will calculate otherwise. Remember how in the 80-90s they wrote power in Watts on tape recorders or how the Chinese now write the capacity of rechargeable batteries)

Definitely, if the capacity of the AA current source is 4 times higher (a good 9V alkaline battery has a capacity of 500 mA), then it is likely that the device with AA cells will last longer.
The question is how well it will work for a long time :)

Our conversation is about the 9V battery and not about the SPHINX. Pardon

6 hours ago, pavelka72 said:

You are considering the current consumption of two different products using different physical principles for determining metal (+ discrimination for ML, this is also consumption, I think. The second one you are considering does not have this function). It cannot be the same.
Users don't usually go that deep (although what we're discussing is very simple) and manufacturers usually don't write uptime because it's a very slippery term with many inputs and there's sure to be someone who will calculate otherwise. Remember how in the 80-90s they wrote power in Watts on tape recorders or how the Chinese now write the capacity of rechargeable batteries)

Definitely, if the capacity of the AA current source is 4 times higher (a good 9V alkaline battery has a capacity of 500 mA), then it is likely that the device with AA cells will last longer.
The question is how well it will work for a long time :)

Our conversation is about the 9V battery and not about the SPHINX. Pardon

I dont understand why you dont answer to the Sphinx li ion battery capacity question ... Look for example at the smartphones tech specs , the battery specs are always indicated , this whatever the brand ; Samsung , Apple , etc  ...    or look at the computers specs ... or look at the electric cars specs ... 

This battery capacity info is important because it helps the user/ customer to have an idea about the product autonomy ; either a smartphone , or a smartphone , or a car ..

12 hours ago, palzynski said:

I dont understand why you dont answer to the Sphinx li ion battery capacity question ... Look for example at the smartphones tech specs , the battery specs are always indicated , this whatever the brand ; Samsung , Apple , etc  ...    or look at the computers specs ... or look at the electric cars specs ... 

This battery capacity info is important because it helps the user/ customer to have an idea about the product autonomy ; either a smartphone , or a smartphone , or a car ..

I found information for you about consumption (9/12 mA scanning in discrimination mode), continuous operation time (60 hours) and battery capacity in SPHINX 03 (720 mAh), it is in the public domain.

image.thumb.png.ec25b3590602a7d52fc12aa451205f6f.png

Thx,  then to summarize   :

- ML profind  :

1 X 9V NiMh rechargeable Energizer  175mAh X 9V     --> capacity  1,6WH

- Teknetics Tekpoint : 
 X AA NiMh rechargeable Lekium  2100mAh X 1,2V   --> capacity   2,5WH

- Sphinx 03

Li ion embedded battery                   720mAh X 3,7V    --> capacity  2,7 WH