Is The Manticore Worth It? Does It Perform Better Than The Nox?

I definitely dig more iron with the Manti than I did with the Nox, but I am sure that I am getting better separation with the Manti. I have no desire to go back to the Nox, at least for park hunting. I think that the line between ferrous and non-ferrous is not sharp, but blurry, so you have the choice of digging only non-ferrous and missing some good targets, or digging more iron and recovering more non-ferrous mixed with iron. The Manti is more like the latter. I have dug more items with both brass and iron components, such as pocket knives, D-ring buckles with an iron tang, etc. with the Manti than I did with the Nox. As far as depth, I have not noticed a big difference in my soil, but separation, that is what impresses me.

On 10/7/2023 at 8:39 AM, BigSkyGuy said:

I think that the line between ferrous and non-ferrous is not sharp, but blurry, so you have the choice of digging only non-ferrous and missing some good targets, or digging more iron and recovering more non-ferrous mixed with iron. The Manti is more like the latter

I feel the same way too.. now I'm trying to find a way to differentiate a good iffy target vs a bad iffy target. I ran ATG and use ATLC to cross check help a bit.. but for now what I did mostly was dug some of the top layer and recheck the target again..

It is a lot better than E800. It is not possible to compare it. You can easily analyze the targets by 2D graph and sound, but... but you need to turn 90 degrees above the target to recheck. 

Deeper, better processing and the graph is a gold hunters dream.

cjc

16 hours ago, cjc said:

Deeper, better processing and the graph is a gold hunters dream.

cjc

Hi Clive, you say that because the trace of the gold in the 2D screen is too clean? (I don't own a Manticore, but would like to learn why). Thanks! 

I'd like to know why too? Many targets give a nice dot along the middle line and the pull tabs that hang around the gold area also do so it hasn't made gold rings any easier to find over the Nox has it? 

Maybe I just don't know the tricks as I rarely find gold rings 🙂

On 10/11/2023 at 10:45 AM, phrunt said:

I'd like to know why too? Many targets give a nice dot along the middle line and the pull tabs that hang around the gold area also do so it hasn't made gold rings any easier to find over the Nox has it? 

Maybe I just don't know the tricks as I rarely find gold rings 🙂

There is no trick Phrunt, but I think you know that 😉

Target Trace / 2D is just an ID plotter. An ID plotter can't discern aluminum trash from gold jewelry any differently than regular old ID can. Well, both of those can't do it at all. To discern aluminum trash from gold jewelry, would require something much more technologically sophisticated, and much less crude than induction balance detectors.

The Manticore is no wonder machine. However, I dig about 50% less iron trash with it when looking for gold. That is a game changer for me in trashy areas and worth the investment (have not paid it of yet though, about 60% to go...)

GC

Lets face it--gold is rare.  anything that lets you CONCLUSIVELY reject some of the trash "numbers" is a huge deal.  the graph does this by showing anything that's a/ corroded in the slightest (off the center) and b/ not solid enough to really give a clean response--that is something that the machine is reading the ground right through. (Hate to say it but this level of accuracy requires that you know your basic signal types ie, ferrous, non-ferrous, "mixed"--these have to do  with the signals relationship with the surrounding ground.).  This is why so many You Tube videos are comical in that some of these hunters are digging targets that are not even LIKE what they are looking for.    Point being I have yet to see a gold target that did not have some center line involvement--period.  Just that alone is a gold hunters dream.  Also, anyone who says "wait--there could be gold underneath the iron" doesent know what this detector is capable of given a few coil passes and some angled passes. cjc

2 hours ago, cjc said:

Lets face it--gold is rare.  anything that lets you CONCLUSIVELY reject some of the trash "numbers" is a huge deal.  the graph does this by showing anything that's a/ corroded in the slightest (off the center) and b/ not solid enough to really give a clean response

Ok, but that visual ability / graph, is not exclusive to the Manticore. The 3030 does that with the FE / CO, the Legend does it with Ferrocheck (simultaneously shows the ferrous and nonferrous content), and the D2 does it with its X/Y screen.

Regarding the trash numbers:

We all know that the bane of gold jewelry hunters is aluminum trash. Those aluminum trash numbers fall right into the same number range as most gold rings and jewelry. So, if that's the problem we're discussing, then going by ID isn't going to help with that problem. Nor will an ID plotter like the Manticore has, help with that problem. If anything, the Manticore's plotter is less accurate and less effective than regular ID with this problem. Reason being, the plotter shows a dot in the general area of the ID, but ID assigns a precise number.