How Would You Like To Run Into This Big Boy Out Detecting?

Isn’t their nickname Ole Efraim?

The largest polar bear ever recorded was hunted in Alaska and weighed 2,209 pounds! That’s over three times the size of the average grizzly! The largest wild Kodiak bear ever recorded was found in Alaska and weighed 1,656 pounds! The largest American black bear was a male shot in New Brunswick, Canada that weighed 902 pounds.

• Like 1

Lmao 🤣🤣🤣

If I ever make it to the USA for some prospecting......here's my vehicle of choice (Bushmaster) that I'll bring with me. Locally made in Australia too. Hopefully ol' Grizz will just chew on the tyres until boredom sets in.

Aussie Bushmaster.jpg

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Last article that I read about USFS grizzly defense stated that they carried shotguns and bear spray.They preferred to use the spray first, especially when confronted by a curious juvenile bear.

We have lots of discussions about bears here in Montana. One incident in the Mission Mountains in Western Montana involved 3 rangers firing shotguns at a pair of charging grizzlies that got to within 15 feet of them before they were stopped.

Another tale was about Lewis and Clark fending off grizzlies in Great Falls Mt. using long pikes in their 1800s expedition.

A personal experience was finding grizzly dung next to a dead calf on one of our mining claims near Helena, MT. We usually brought along a rifle for protection against lions and bears (no tigers here). 

• Like 1

I saw a large cinnamon blackie recently while detecting in the Sierras. Probably a fully grown male, biggest I've seen since moving south. Came up on me while I was detecting, and headed for the hills when he got wind of me. Beautiful animal. I've had many bear encounters over the years in both Alaska and now California. It's obvious the bears know who the most dangerous animal is, and it isn't them. All you hear about is the extremely rare times when its not the bear on the losing end of things, and not about all the times people see bears and everyone minds their own business.

https://www.flyrusts.com/bearviewing/katmai-national-park/

KAT_3549a-scaled.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Spent many a day at Brooks before viewing platforms, Plenty of Bears.... Would get interesting when hooking a beautiful Brooks River Rainbow !!!! The good old day's !!! 

• Like 2

Nine summers commercial fishing out of Naknek and never made it to Brooks falls...some of the guys did after the season when it's crazy with bears there...there is a dump about half way between Naknek and King Salmon I was driving an old dodge charger back after picking up supplies 11pm one evening (still daylight) when a big  brown bear runs out in front of me had to stand on the breaks and it was looking over his shoulder as it was running in front of me snarling lol...it was the first brown bear I'd seen...If you have never seen a brown bear foot print fresh in the sand when out in the bush it will give you a whole new out look on fly fishing alone 🙂

strick 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1