Axiom Coil Covers And Detection

rled2005

This guy is a pro that has found more gold than all of us combined, and he silicones on all his coil covers - and I'm not talking Axiom either. All sorts of people tape coils and as mentioned before, many come that way from Coiltek and Nugget Finder in particular. Bottom line is it's not like it's never done and in fact can be beneficial to keeping silt and sand from accumulating inside the cover.

metal-detector-coil-cover-tape.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kostas 13 said:

on the coils I usually use medicated tape, it sticks very strongly and is very durable.

IMG_20230823_025028.jpg

Best kind of medical tape I’ve ever used. Not only will it keep your cover securely in place and dirt free, but if you find yourself getting a blister this stuff is like dragon skin. I used it twice during the annual Nijmegen ruck March in the Netherlands. Walked 110 miles in four days with the soles of my feet mummified in this stuff with zero blisters. Doesn’t come off when it gets wet, and you just use a little rubbing alcohol to clear away any of the leftover adhesive when you peel it off.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2023 at 12:47 PM, rled2005 said:

Has anyone had issues with the coil covers falling off? I have. Garrett acts like this is new to them. They sent me another cover for better fitment, but it fit the same. Then they sent a coil and cover, but there was no difference in fitment. 

NEXT ISSUE:
I did an air test win a small gold piece. The Axion detected it at 2.5-3”. I air tested the same piece of gold with my GMX Sport, it detected it at 4-4.5”. This was also the case with the ATX.

is the air test the issue?

I just bought a used Axiom that was near new. The coil was factory original with zero wear. I noticed pressure sensitivity on the front half and when I got home, checked it out. It seems the coil cover hadn't been pushed on and held with pressure while they taped it. The whole bottom was like a 3mm (1/8") deep sponge. Tomorrow I will remove it and refit it correctly. Poor quality control in both fit and assembly!

27 minutes ago, afaitken said:

I just bought a used Axiom that was near new. The coil was factory original with zero wear. I noticed pressure sensitivity on the front half and when I got home, checked it out. It seems the coil cover hadn't been pushed on and held with pressure while they taped it. The whole bottom was like a 3mm (1/8") deep sponge. Tomorrow I will remove it and refit it correctly. Poor quality control in both fit and assembly!

Except Garrett does not tape the coils so you are blaming them for the prior owners action.

Best bet if coil covers don’t fit properly or wireless is not up to snuff is to just sell the detector and move on. Life’s too short to deal with such things when some other detector would be less aggravating.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Except Garrett does not tape the coils so you are blaming them for the prior owners action.

Best bet if coil covers don’t fit properly or wireless is not up to snuff is to just sell the detector and move on. Life’s too short to deal with such things when some other detector would be less aggravating.

Hi Steve, I'm not unhappy with my Axiom, merely pointing out some short comings. I absolutely love it, just would expect after all of Minelabs many failures that Garrett would be just a little better. I have included a very clear and telling photo of why the coil was taped on, and it IS a Garrett issue - NOT the guy before me with the tape. Also, the sponginess of the underside would benefit from the vent I ahve included a photo of, and yes, they are 100% waterproof and equalize the air pressure inside and out.

Coil---Plate-Gap.jpg

plug.jpg

19 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

.....also, as you bought it up, the wireless is lacking and while I was on the phone to them (Garrett Australia) today, they agreed it was not ideal and to follow all the suggestions as you have posted. I'm just surprised that GPZ7000 wireless 2015 and Axiom wireless 2022 are pretty much on par. A few years back they started making small, cheap guitar transmitter and receives selling on Aliexpress from $30 for 2.4g up to $70 (approx) for 5.8g and just as fast, but will transmit easily 50-100ft without interference or drop outs. I took some of these and ran the GPZ headphone jack direct into them and made a few different designs with amp boards and audio compression on some etc...with incredible results. Just saying!