Unexpected Coin Hunt

So I decided to spend the day at the mill where I recycle. Lots of hard labor 😄. I'm almost there and I pass this old park that I tell myself I am going to detect one day. It's about 20 minutes from my house to the mill. What do I see there?....... Are ALL the sidewalks torn away?  😲😲😲. Crap, I turned around and went back home and grabbed the Manticore. Hopefully the city dump truck parked there will not kick me out. Nope, smooth sailing. I must have been the second person to detect there, since I could only come up with 5 cents. Tons of nails and small bits of junk. Not a silver or nickle signal to be found. I hunted all of the trenches for about 2 hours and that was it. But I'm happy with the 4 Indians as they were older than most Indians I would get out of parks. This park was very active in the 1890's. I did detect the grass for a while and got no high conductors and it was very sparse on any targets. Someone has probably been hammering this place for years. I may try the GPX there, but it is a very sketchy neighborhood.  Target of opportunity is the name of the game sometimes.

20230902_173328.jpg

Pretty nice condition coins too.

Very nice!  I did a similar u-turn for a sidewalk tear out on one side of the state capitol about six weeks ago and got nothing worth mentioning.

- Dave

Nice to say the least and couldn't have happened to a better person.

I missed the chance to check out the ground when the County replaced the side walks at the old court house.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Nice opportunity.

I'm sure if there was anything other than Indian Heads there you would have found it. 👍

I miss finding IHPs. If that 1864 is more copper than bronze it's a rare bird. It definitely has more of a copper look to it! 

Good stop!  Some of the improvements on a site hide some goodies.

I keep kicking myself for not stopping at a school auditorium near me that was torn down a couple of years ago ... and then there was a caferteria ...

On 9/2/2023 at 8:18 PM, JCR said:

Pretty nice condition coins too.

Surprisingly good condition in my neck of the woods. They look better in real life too. I was shocked by the fact that there were no pits in the fields section of the coin. Smooth.

On 9/2/2023 at 10:05 PM, UT Dave said:

Very nice!  I did a similar u-turn for a sidewalk tear out on one side of the state capitol about six weeks ago and got nothing worth mentioning.

- Dave

I don't do them very often, but they are usually a bust for me as well.

On 9/3/2023 at 2:39 AM, CPT_GhostLight said:

Way to jump on that opportunity, sohN, and congrats on the coppers, well done!

Thanks. I have to fight myself to drive back home and do this, but it just looked too good to be true 😄

On 9/3/2023 at 4:12 AM, Valens Legacy said:

Nice to say the least and couldn't have happened to a better person.

I missed the chance to check out the ground when the County replaced the side walks at the old court house.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Thank You. Even though I didn't get silver (which would have been Seated or Barber), I was very happy to get Indians. I got to do some old area dirt hunting again. I really miss it.

On 9/3/2023 at 7:36 AM, jim tn said:

Good catch on the park tear outs. Those are some nice, older, I H's. HH jim tn

Thanks. Usually they are 1900's Indians. That was the first thing I noticed was the earlier dates. Was hoping for a  '77 but no dice!

On 9/4/2023 at 7:46 AM, F350Platinum said:

Nice opportunity.

I'm sure if there was anything other than Indian Heads there you would have found it. 👍

I miss finding IHPs. If that 1864 is more copper than bronze it's a rare bird. It definitely has more of a copper look to it! 

Same here, I miss finding Indians as well. I never get the rare stuff, so it's bronze by default. 😅.

3 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

I'd call that a not too shabby haul right thayah ! 

👍

Thank ya. It was just enough to get the old blood pressure up a bit.

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

Good stop!  Some of the improvements on a site hide some goodies.

I keep kicking myself for not stopping at a school auditorium near me that was torn down a couple of years ago ... and then there was a caferteria ...

I've missed so many opportunities over the years that I've lost count. The biggest one was a huge pond that was drained for 1 year before I saw a You Tube video on it. It goes back to colonial times. Only 15 minutes from my house 😭 By the time I went there, The reeds grew back, but I still pulled 2 gold rings from it. I cringe to tell you whet others found there. 🙄