My Thoughts On Hunting Winnemucca Nv Region After Two Weeks

Dave,  "haunting " is a wonderful way to describe Dale. Every time I recover a rusty boot tack I know that I am walking in the foot steps of a fellow miner that preceded me over a century and a half ago. Heady stuff. And yep, 'ol Bob was a great guy. Far too many of his ilk are no longer with us, Dowie, Doc S., Woody, Ken D., Jerry B., etc. 

• Like 3

I have left Winnemucca and now in Gold Basin/ Lost Basin. Looking forward to pulling some better gold out of here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

I feel the same way, I don't know how to describe it but the Dale has always been hauntingly evocative

I can relate to that. I guess it is the unforgiving and rugged landscape. Despite mostly lode, this is a great area for placer gold as well (eluvial and alluvial). The fans in between Goldcrown Rd and Ironage Rd are incredible, albeit littered with trash. Be careful though when you hike them up. Almost got killed on day from guys shooting their riffles from one side of the canyon to the other.

GC

3 hours ago, Jim McCulloch said:

Dave,  "haunting " is a wonderful way to describe Dale. Every time I recover a rusty boot tack I know that I am walking in the foot steps of a fellow miner that preceded me over a century and a half ago. Heady stuff. And yep, 'ol Bob was a great guy. Far too many of his ilk are no longer with us, Dowie, Doc S., Woody, Ken D., Jerry B., etc. 

Jim, I don't remember what year it was. I was with Woody and met you there in the Dale. Woody and I also came across Dowie on another trip there. Good times for sure. Lots of good memories and nuggets there.

snakejim

On 9/14/2023 at 1:13 PM, flakmagnet said:

I hope folks don't mind but I have a story partly about the wind in the Pinto's which I"m going to attach. You guys are the only people who understand this kind of writing, so again, hope it's alright.

Do you have any more of these gems you wouldn't mind sharing?

4 hours ago, Swegin said:

Do you have any more of these gems you wouldn't mind sharing?

I used to try to write about dredging and prospecting but never felt I could do it the justice it deserved. There is so much that happens that is beyond being able to express well. 

I do have three other gold-related short bits, but don't want to hijack the thread (any more than I have). Maybe if you want I'll start a thread for people who write about what we do and see if anyone else has writing they want to share - that would be fun. Let's see if anyone is interested.

And thank you for the comment...

• Like 3

David,

I did a quick informal pole and all of the participants are in favor of the storytelling thread.

I know there are many interesting stories to be told about the people, places and unusual events folks have experienced wandering about the gold fields.. 

I have lots of fine memories of the people I have known as a result of this compelling habit we all seem to share, trustworthy and reliable are two words which come to mind.  I do miss them.

Post on!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

flack you do it justice  maybe to hard on your self  this world needs to remember and learn  and laugh   Got to share the experience   You are golden for that 

I asked Steve H. about it and he said - why, it's what we're all doing anyway in these threads, but if you want to go ahead…

But for now, since I only have these three, I think I'll just stick them in this thread since nobody is objecting. So here.

Boulder Bonanza.pdfThe Dale District .pdfLost in the Middle of Nowhere .pdf

• Like 3