Post War Eagle Button X2

We finally got some decent rain & a bit cooler weather. I had not been out much as the ground conditions made for very hard digging.  I took my still new to me MXT to one of my favorite red dirt relic sites to see what it could find behind the other machines I have used there. This site is along one of the oldest roads in our area, near a Republic of Texas  era stockade close to a nice flowing creek. The old fort area was used as a staging/camp ground from Republic days through the Civil War. Also located near by is the homesite of a Confederate Cabinet member.   Unfortunately, for all of the concentrated historical activity, much of that area has been developed & built over, with only smaller areas left relatively undisturbed.

The MXT with 9" Ultimate coil ran very well in Relic mode with Disc set just below 2 and Gain at pre set 9. There is a LOT of Iron in the ground of all sizes though I have dug most of the big pieces. There was a tenant house on the site also up to 1905 or so.  This site was virgin ground when I first gained permission so I have been able to find a wide variety of items, many going back to the earliest days of local settlement. Good Non ferrous targets have started getting thin but there is still history to be found hiding in the nails.

I am always pleasantly surprised how each detector sees the ground & targets with a slightly different point of view. In addition to that pictured below was some fired .45 cal Round Balls, Camp Lead, and odd Brass pieces.

The general service Eagle coat button is Back marked Steele & Johnson Mfgco. The only button reference material I have dates it 1875-1920, which may or may not be absolute. I agree that it is post War and speculate it is from the occupation troops the were stationed in each County seat during "Reconstruction". Perhaps they were camped out to keep an eye on the old Postmaster. It cleaned up to be in excellent condition using Navel jelly. A special find for me, given my area.  The Wheat Cent is in almost AU condition as far as wear. The Brass items show the attention to detail that used to be common in the manufacture of everyday items. I guess the zipper pull is a very early example.

EagleGSbm.jpg.ca2ae8babe3945b3757e2390c4d0f766.jpgEagleGS.jpg.95043b881d07f6c9c7c8cfcfe590c9d9.jpg

unnamed.jpg

1941Do.jpg

1941Dr.jpg

Outstanding, the button is superb! And great job on the cleaning.

If I had a water spigot it would fit, I would use it just for fun.

Fantastic button JCR, and that zipper pull must be an early one. 👍

Isn't this button also called the Indian Wars button? It's not a Horstmann or Waterbury. 🤔

Found some info:

The Steele and Johnson Manufacturing Company was established as the Waterbury Jewell Company in 1851 and soon changed its name to the Steele and Johnson Button Company. In 1865 the company established its New York store, and in 1875 this manufacturer of brass buttons and various metal goods changed its name to the Steele and Johnson Manufacturing Company. Steele and Johnson produced and sold items primarily to brass companies and other businesses in Connecticut and Massachusetts, with customers in New York, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, and California. During World War I it produced goods for the army and the government.

• 2 weeks later...

I took off work a little early this past Tuesday and re hunted the same area where I found the Eagle button and found a mate. This one has a different Backmark; SCOVILL MFG CO   WATERBURY CT. It is not in quite as good a condition but still nice. The thin brass ring thru the shank is the same as the first button but this one did not fall apart.  I wonder if they were carded as replacement button in a sewing kit.  MXT w/ 6" Detech  Relic mode.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg