Local Token & Colt Percussion Revolver Combination Tool

My last couple of hunts have helped make up for the long hot dry Summer.   The token dates to the very early 1900s. He was still in the 1923 telephone book but as a Manufacturer, no longer a tailor. The 1898 Sanborn map shows his address as a Tailor shop. I know a family of the same name & will enquire of them. Hopefully their Great grandfather. If so, they may like to have it.

The combination tool is a special find for me. It gave just enough of an interesting tone to not be another cut nail. It was dug in the front yard of where a pre War cabin stood on the old main road, nearby to the old Republic blockhouse site. Troops were documented to have rallied & camped there on their way East to the action. Side arms were usually only carried by officers or Cavalrymen.

The other items are just nicely interesting to me. The brass ring with ball may be some sort of buggy curtain rod ring. The ointment tube top is another example of the ornateness & attention to detail that was once give to even ordinary everyday items. All dug with the MXT in Relic mode.

6.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

7.png

Awesome find.  And great identification.  I wouldn't have known that's what that tool is for.

- Dave

That sounds like you need to get yourself a repro Colt 1851 Navy too.    It actually took me a day of pondering before I realized what the socket end would fit. The screw blade end was easy. Thanks for the reply post.

@EL NINO77   These finds are from one of the sites that I have high hopes about the Versa's performance.  High maghemite ground with lots of Iron, small & mid size. A 6" coin is a difficult target there. I will see what Dual mode Field MultiFilter & Dual Park can reveal.

Two of my very favorite things to dig.Local tokens and a significant piece of early iron.Nice photos and good writing as well. 

I had a nice visit with a family member of the tailor who issued the token I found. I actually went to school with him & he has done a lot of family history research. He brought some photos & even a wooden coat hanger marked with the shop's name when he came by to see me. He knew of the tokens being issued, but had only seen a photo of one until today. I was happy to add it to his collection of Family memorabilia.   William Oliver Tippen, born 1874,  died  1926. He was the oldest of 13 children and Great Uncle to my friend.

W O Tippen.pdf

41 minutes ago, JCR said:

I had a nice visit with a family member of the tailor who issued the token I found. I actually went to school with him & he has done a lot of family history research. He brought some photos & even a wooden coat hanger marked with the shop's name when he came by to see me. He knew of the tokens being issued, but had only seen a photo of one until today. I was happy to add it to his collection of Family memorabilia.   William Oliver Tippen   died  1926. He was the oldest of 13 children and Great Uncle to my friend.

W O Tippen.pdf 85.26 kB · 2 downloads

Nice going JCR.... Total class!