Lots Of Scams

DSMITH

Man oh Man there is sure a lot of scams going on, on places like offer up and Craigslist these days here is just one on Offer Up and there are three more but this one is the worst I sent a message and ask for the serial number like I am an interested buyer

https://offerup.com/item/detail/527912ed-4b01-3607-a0ea-5055398cad19?q=metal+detector

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh my! 2

Photo of the face is on a professional website, guy from a university in Florida, yet the detector location is Arizona. 🤔

• Like 3

Ever seen all the "broken down chip readers" on card machines in gas stations, etc that have a hand written note saying to scan your card because the chip reader is broken? After 3 credit card #'s getting stolen I got suspicious about those and started wondering how it is that so many chip readers seem to break down yet the swiper part magically never breaks.

It's because they don't. The easy to buy card skimmers work by taping over the existing swiper. The chip reader requires you to insert your card into the machine and it can't be faked without faking the entire machine. So they say the chip is broken and tell you to use the swiper instead, where you CC is stolen. 

Sure enough, I went back to the Loaf N Jug where I strongly suspected my last CC was stolen, and I used the chip reader despite the "broken sign". And lo and behold - it wasn't broken. 

It's these ones, here's a vid I found showing basically the same thing. I refuse to use any machine that says "broken chip reader" now. It's almost certainly employees stealing #'s. Something to be aware of today.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

They will get a taker and that will be the one that wants something for nothing. They won’t be disappointed because they got nothing for nothing.

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, DSMITH said:

Man oh Man there is sure a lot of scams going on, on places like offer up and Craigslist these days here is just one on Offer Up and there are three more but this one is the worst I sent a message and ask for the serial number like I am an interested buyer

https://offerup.com/item/detail/527912ed-4b01-3607-a0ea-5055398cad19?q=metal+detector

Ooooo, I'm going to ask him if he does local pickup? Will post his reply.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GeoBill said:

Ooooo, I'm going to ask him if he does local pickup? Will post his reply.

Good Luck I am still waiting for a reply back with the serial number LOL

Also look at the date the dude signed up to sale on Offer up, just recent Sept 23 of this year (BIG RED FLAG)

5 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

They will get a taker and that will be the one that wants something for nothing. They won’t be disappointed because they got nothing for nothing.

Chuck 

Thats the unfortunate part Chuck, there is a sucker born every day, there is also a CTX3030 listed by someone else for cheap and a Garrett ATX for like $300 and something LOL, price on all these alone should be enough to tell people they are SCAMS, the sad part is all those adds are probably linked together by the same persons

• Sad 1

Since the introduction of the internet, scams have increased exponentially due to the ease of scamming people that the internet provides. Fortunately, "something for nothing" type scams, such as the type DSMITH posted, are easy to avoid to all but the most gullible of people. BUT...

As a computer tech, I can tell you that by far, the most prevalent and successful scam that people get duped by, is phishing emails and phishing popups. For example, the mark receives a totally genuine looking email from any company that they use for services, and pay for online. The email will say there is a problem with their payment method, and they have to re-enter their credit card or banking information. Since it looks legit, the mark gives the scammers that information. I've seen bank accounts and credit cards drained with that scam.

• Like 1