First Was A First

Nice work...my first seated quarter was even more worn then that one but that will make a trip worth it for sure.  Enjoy the weather while you can. I have a feeling it's going to be an early winter. 

strick 

• Like 2

Very nice. Life is good.

• Like 1

Congrats on the Seated, Dave.  I'm still waiting for my first of any denomination.

There were two varieties of 1853 (plain = Philadelphia) quarters.  The early one (valuable due to low mintage) was less decorated.  The later one had an arrow on either side of the date, pointing away from it.  Also there were rays on the reverse emanating from the Eagle.

The reason for the change was a reduction in weight from 6.68 g to 6.22 g.

Yours is probably too worn to discern which type from its weight.  I would expect in the neighborhood of 15% weight loss (~ 1 g) which would push either one well below the lower weight.   The obverse is so worn I don't know if the arrows would have survived even if it had them.  Can you see any rays on the reverse?  (Can you post a picture of the reverse?)

• Like 2

This is a later one then.  Under good light and magnification I can see the arrows on both sides of the date.  And, while very worn, the rays are still visible as well.

thumbnail_IMG_1246.jpg.189f5929c4e16e4be385dc86cbe89ac7.jpg

Edit to add:  Just weighed it, 5.55 gm.

- Dave

• Like 4

Congrats on your 1st seated two bits piece Dave that's a very nice coin and piece of history.I can't decide If i have a bigger hankering to go out and bust my ass and maybe get lucky and find a nice piece of silver or run down to the local butcher shop and spend thirty bucks on a decent steak?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3