Modified My Pick

DSMITH

I have been using a Bunks Hermit pick for a few years now, I find it to be one of the best picks I have ever used very well made pick for prospecting, I also have his burro Pick as well, which I do like but not as much as Bunks Hermit Pick, but the hermit pick always felt heavy to me and always felt to short for me so I modified it, it came with a 2 foot handle, i wanted a pick I could use for nugget hunting and also use it as a walking pick as well as one that I could use to get up of the ground after retrieving a target, what I did was remove the 2 foot handle and replaced it with a 40 inch handle, and honestly this 40 inch handle as strange as it seems made the Hermit pick to feel lighter and it accomplished what I wanted I now can dig while standing up and I can use it to help me get back up when I go down on my hands and knees to retrieve a target and it also made it a great walking pick,Bunk produces some fantastic picks and I would not hesitate to purchase another hermit pick again from him, and no this hermit pick you do not carry in a holder on your belt, even at the 2 foot length Bunk instructs you to never carry the hermit pick while hanging off your belt as that spike could do some serious damage if you fell on it, I always carried it in my hand where if I fell I could throw it side ways or away from me

my recommendation for anyone wanting to purchase a Hermit Pick from Bunk just purchase the head only and then add a shovel handle which can be purchased from Ace Hardware,Home Depot or Lowe's and most likely any good hardware store

modified hermit pick.jpg

Nice going DSMITH, I did a very similar thing to my Bunks pick, just a foot longer using a shovel handle. Nice to be able to stand until the target is out of the ground. 

2 hours ago, MSC said:

Nice going DSMITH, I did a very similar thing to my Bunks pick, just a foot longer using a shovel handle. Nice to be able to stand until the target is out of the ground. 

Honestly I wish I would have modified it when I first purchased it, it feels so much better to me,  now with the 40 inch shovel handle in it, it feels much lighter than when it had the 24 inch handle which surprised me completely, also added a 160 LB pull magnet to it but removed it pretty quickly, that was way to much of a magnet, so went with a 70 pound pull, attached at the end of the handle and also one on the bottom of the spike, that 160 pound pull magnet would have picked up a car door LOL.

DSMITH, I hear you, I put a large 2'' X 1" X 1/2" thick earth magnet. Yea, you could be pulled to the nearest car or truck if you don't let go with that magnet.