I Saw The 5000 Up Grade Test

Drellim

18 hours ago, Lunk said:

It is strange how the Extra Deep Gold Mode of the GPZ 7000 isn’t given so much as a mention in this thread, given that it is the lowest frequency option and coupled with the 19-inch coil would be the Zed's weapon for large, deep nuggets. 🤷‍♂️

Lunk, this is something I want to know more about from you and anyone else that uses the extra deep mode. It seems to be the most forgotten and least used mode. 

• Like 2

On 11/2/2023 at 5:28 AM, phrunt said:

I've had next to no experience with these modded detectors, JW has a modded GPX 4500, never uses it, but has it.  He's used it once in my presence and he had a Sadie on it at the time, I had my stock 4500 with the NF 14x9" EVO on it when I first got that coil, I found mine was more sensitive than his on small targets in some very basic tests we did at the time waving over a few pellets.  How much of that was the coil I don't know, probably most of it.    Neither stood out as being quieter or anything.  I don't know enough about the mods done to it to judge it but it was one of the big two that did the mods.

I had my old 4500 modded about 4 years ago. Prior to that, I'd owned it for 3 years. In those 3 years I found only 5oz with it. Once I had it modded, I got 6oz in the 1st 12 months. The flat-wound mono coil I used certainly added a degree of 'punch' but overall, it was way more sensitive and hit deeper. I went back over lots of old territory that I'd given up on and pulled gold on most locations. The mods have evolved a lot in the past few years and have gotten better. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Sourdough Scott said:

Lunk, this is something I want to know more about from you and anyone else that uses the extra deep mode. It seems to be the most forgotten and least used mode. 

SS, I'll work up a topic about this in the future, so stay tuned.

6 hours ago, Prickly Prospector said:

Why would you run the Zed 19" in anything other than ultradeep? Defeats the purpose. I'm sure settings for max depth for coil size were being used on the modded 5000 (still great results) . 

PP, here is an article by Jonathan Porter that includes why you would run the Zed 19” in the other two Gold Modes as well as in Extra Deep. It is a very versatile coil that has different applications in each mode, but the key is having the room to swing it.  But as you suggested, most operators would use it to search for large, deep nuggets, myself included.

Another good GPZ-19 coil write-up with video.

Sorry Drellim, as I don’t mean to hijack your thread here; the video that you referenced shows a remarkable signal response from the modded GPX 5000…quite impressive!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Lunk said:

SS, I'll work up a topic about this in the future, so stay tuned.

PP, here is an article by Jonathan Porter that includes why you would run the Zed 19” in the other two Gold Modes as well as in Extra Deep. It is a very versatile coil that has different applications in each mode, but the key is having the room to swing it.  But as you suggested, most operators would use it to search for large, deep nuggets, myself included.

Another good GPZ-19 coil write-up with video.

Sorry Drellim, as I don’t mean to hijack your thread here; the video that you referenced shows a remarkable signal response from the modded GPX 5000…quite impressive!

No worries I enjoy all the good conversation once I saw that  video  I  wanted to see how   Correct  it was  Thanks everyone it’s our thread    Now really thinking about  getting my 5000  moded    Hell I have the mod SD 2200     And my gold master VLF  that should cover all  areas   Mayby this time they’ll get back to me  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swegin said:

Who are you asking?

I think he is asking the detectors to get/give back to him with their mods.

Funny how back in the day Woody was given a hard time about his mods, being mocked by the Minelab disciples who believed that Minelab were the gods & how could any body else improve their detectors. Well, as time has gone by we have come to see Minelabs business model. Why improve an existing detector with a mod or two when ML can release a whole new detector with those mods for a whole new high end price. Mining the miners.

D4G

• Like 7

1 hour ago, dig4gold said:

Right.  I was just curious which one.  I have had contact with both Woody and Mick.  Mick was faster, but that could have just been better timing.

1 hour ago, dig4gold said:

Funny how back in the day Woody was given a hard time about his mods, being mocked by the Minelab disciples who believed that Minelab were the gods & how could any body else improve their detectors. Well, as time has gone by we have come to see Minelabs business model. Why improve an existing detector with a mod or two when ML can release a whole new detector with those mods for a whole new high end price. Mining the miners.

D4G

The GP Extreme-> GP3500 were all just modifications to the same board and the GPX4000-> GPX5000 were also all (almost) just modifications to the same board.But since the demise of the 5000, their outlook has certainly changed. I think Steve said that a lightened and modded version of the 5000 , sold C. US$2,000 would be a massive seller....so ML don't have to stretch budgets to create a worthwhile detector.The GPX series has already made its $$ (the 4500 is the record holder for the biggest selling PI in history) and doesn't need to recoup any development costs. Add sub-boards for Voltage front end gain, frequency change selector and some upgraded timings (all just code of course) and updated, superior components and voila! Most of the post-development hard work has already been by Woody, Ismael and Mick.

• Like 6

it is interesting to hear real feedback from users of modified detectors, what is the real increase in depth on the target from 10 grams and above when using monocoils with a size of 15 inches? and of course, the stability of the device is in the first place. thanks to those who answered in advance

• Like 3