Audio Question... High Sqr Or Pwm?

CPT_GhostLight

I was out on a relic site yesterday and a thought popped into my head while wading through the various levels of decaying iron and other trash. Before the V1.0 update I had been running PWM audio because I thought it was much more expressive than Square audio. After V1.0 to present (V2.0) I have been running High SQR audio because I feel like it as expressive as PWM audio and it sounds better overall to my ears. However after long hours in areas of dense square nails, nail pieces, large iron, and burn pits I was getting some ear fatigue from all the falsing. I tried switching between a couple of programs from my usual Fast relic program to see if there any differences in the response to falsing sounds. I have a Deep HC based program in Pitch audio that I use for coin shooting, but it just made everything sound the same and I couldn't tell iron from non-ferrous from falses without checking the VID. I also have a Sensitive program in Full Tones with PWM audio and when I switched to that I noticed (or percieved) a difference in the falsing tones to the point that it was less fatiguing on my ears.

I know we have discussed many ways to control falsing, but my quest here is do you prefer PWM or High SQR audio and why? 🤔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I know we have discussed many ways to control falsing, but my quest here is do you prefer PWM or High SQR audio and why? 🤔

I have my Deus2 set-up like the sounds on an Equinox..........so whatever that is? :biggrin:

Have adjusted the Hz of the high tones and raised it, also lowered the Hz of the iron tones.  

• Like 2

CPT, I mostly use High Square. And to be honest, I use it mostly because it is easier on the ears. I used to use PWM and I think PWM did a slightly better job of alerting to iron. It had that extra "fuzziness" over iron. But for me, the falsing in PWM does seem to fatigue my ears more so than High Square. So as far as performance in the iron goes, I figure it's a wash. PWM may alert me better but I tune it out after a while. High Square maybe not as good but I will stay focused longer. But in 6 months from now, I may be tired of listening to High Square and go back to PWM just to challenge my brain. 😄

My latest cure for falsing at these pounded sites where I am not worried about missing easy semi high conductors.....is to create a tone bin from 73 to 88 and set the volume of that bin to 0. Those iron masked mid conductors will jump out at you and those very high conductors will sound off nicely as well because they are not competing with the falsing. You just have to accept the fact that you could miss some nice targets in the 73-88 range and not care about it. I'll go after those on another hunt using a different approach. But if you want to hunt for a while in those iron choked sites without the falsing, give it a try. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Square partly because I previously used the Equinox, and I now find that most aluminum will make a certain tone especially on a beach which helps dig a little less crap. For some reason it's not as good in soil now that I'm back to relic hunting.

I've not noticed a heck of a lot of false signals that don't go mostly iron on a turn. From digging lots of iron previously I find I can trust the detector. I mitigate falsing mostly with sensitivity, audio response and bottle caps.

It's always good to doubt yourself now and again however 🤔

• Like 2

Too many tones can wear you down. Try simple 2 tones with a moderate break. I modified the High Conductor with no discrimination and tone break around 25 and 14khz works well in hot ground.

If I get any falsing I usually slow my swing speed.

• Like 4

This is a really good practical thread.

• Like 3

Coming from Minelandia to the XP universe, I too prefer High SQR audio, but I'm going to do more experimenting.

Since I ran PWM for close to a year to learn the sounds, I like it too.

I set up identical Fast programs next to each other. One has High SQR audio and the other has PWM audio. I hope to be able to learn if one gives more target information than the other and if one falses less than the other with identical settings, coils, and swing speeds. I'll let you know what I find out. 😎

• Like 5