Making Custom Headphones For The Impulse AQ

On 12/16/2023 at 9:28 AM, The_Stalker said:

Why would you not buy or make a custom set of headphones?  Then you know there is no problem.

I agree!!

I seen the issue from the start with the AQ, even on the excalibur. In fact all waterproof headsets are weak in the audio department. To be 100% they must make them reliable, which can be very restrictive on the piezo bender.  So make your own, all they have to be is water resistant, taking a dunk once and awhile is no problem. And they are easy fix if something goes wrong, since you made them.

I have shared this before with others.. and had the same results as Alexandre 

I like the 65mm but now only use the 50mm audio unlimit with the black plastic outer rim. As far as what I use, I only do this for myself, I use two different things. Restricting the piezo is the worst thing you can do, everything from the wire size you use to the covering. So the last 5 years I have used silicon grease, dow 111 and something else I love is 3m wound patch..each works great at protection, the dow does need cleaned about once every few months..... the 3m is  like a very thin skin ..and the wires I use are needle thin. Anything to keep the restriction down.

For me, it's about being able to pull out every variation and vibration the AQ is sending to the the Piezo' s, than add a good set of ear muffs w/Gel Pads..that block as much ambient noise as possible. Making and testing does not require much either, just a test swing for Air Test.

AB5027B-3-LW100-R 50 mm PUI Audio Unlimited
 PIEZO CERAMIC BENDER 2.7 KHZ 500 OHM

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/PUI-Audio/AB5027B-3-LW100-R?qs=Ad%2Bh9aq9FyX0t5%2B4gCIO8g%3D%3D

AB6505B 65 mm PUI Audio Unlimited
PIEZO CERAMIC BENDER  520 HZ  Impedance 1 kOhms

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/PUI-Audio/AB6505B?qs=Xc0V8bXuji5Q61LWJkv0Lw%3D%3D

3M Tegaderm Transparent Dressing 

Provides a waterproof, sterile barrier to external contaminants including liquids, bacteria and viruses. 

This stuff is super thin and very easy to mess up, practice a few times before trying to cover the piezo.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Tegaderm-Transparent-Film-Dressing/dp/B000PYP5R4/ref=pd_lpo_sccl_2/146-7411959-4394806?pd_rd_w=VPiIc&content-id=amzn1.sym.116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_p=116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_r=P5VXXTC8RF47J2222HHF&pd_rd_wg=pz53d&pd_rd_r=48033ebb-6254-42f5-8c15-876801da204a&pd_rd_i=B000PYP5R4&psc=1

Dow Corning 111 O-Ring Valve Silicone Lubricant

which I no longer use except on the headsets that I have made and still using. 

https://www.amazon.com/Dow-Corning-Silicone-Lubricant-Sealant/dp/B00V2KG3XU/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=dow%2B111%2Bo-ring%2Bsilicone%2Blubricant&qid=1702874474&sr=8-6&th=1

• Like 2

awfully small solders in those plugs--don't think I would try a build.  Thanks  for the specs though. 

37 minutes ago, cjc said:

awfully small solders in those plugs--don't think I would try a build.  Thanks  for the specs though. 

Welcome....This might help if you ever change your mind... premade end/cable M8, 5 pin, B code, male. One meter cable or you can get it in 2 and 3 meters. It is a straight cable but can easily be heated/cooled and trained to be coiled or used as a straight cable. 

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bulgin/PXPPVC08FIM05BCL010PVC?qs=%2Fha2pyFadujBLFQQGAl4nekyampvhvP24lBto9mvnvRNNDJ8dZ0tdbakkj6U45oq

Also comes in a 45.. 

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/57/M8_Data_Sheets-1901337.pdf

SNAG-0013.jpg

SNAG-0014.jpg

• Like 3

I can make just about anything but without detailed guidelines I’d be just trying my luck. I have the parts (have to check if as recommended above) but have several quite different recommendations for mounting/sealing the piezos, plus I have samples of different diameters. Piezos are for waterproof headsets and I don’t hunt where I’d intentionally dunk them. So I would think that an off the shelf non-piezo set would likely be superior in response - but all the talk is about using piezos. I use my CTX with the wm10 and earbuds and I’m good.  When I compared my AQ to a friend’s it seemed 1” less sensitive and both had identical looking headsets.  Mine also was re-validated at the factory although I haven’t been able to validate that performance myself. That factory performance should have been tested with the headphones I sent in attached to it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Welcome....This might help if you ever change your mind... premade end/cable M8, 5 pin, B code, male. One meter cable or you can get it in 2 and 3 meters. It is a straight cable but can easily be heated/cooled and trained to be coiled or used as a straight cable. 

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bulgin/PXPPVC08FIM05BCL010PVC?qs=%2Fha2pyFadujBLFQQGAl4nekyampvhvP24lBto9mvnvRNNDJ8dZ0tdbakkj6U45oq

Also comes in a 45.. 

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/57/M8_Data_Sheets-1901337.pdf

SNAG-0013.jpg

SNAG-0014.jpg

Wow--good  to know.  I'vve got the AQ small coil cable / plug set up on the bench to solder and walk a wide berth around it...soldeing is my shame....lol 

cjc

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bklein said:

Newark Electronics seems to be having a sale on Bulgin M8 stuff. Check it out but leave me something.

I loaded up a few years ago, still have a few left. I did go to the M 12 8 pin after I started making batteries. Which I no longer do.. .

On 12/18/2023 at 12:20 PM, bklein said:

Ahhhh. It could be that the AQ has a piezo driver IC to drive the headset. If so, regular headsets probably won’t work well.  Anyone know more?

I'm not sure but I do know the JBL Clip 2 I have and the similar as Alexandrea uses, works great also.  

On 12/18/2023 at 10:29 AM, bklein said:

I can make just about anything but without detailed guidelines I’d be just trying my luck. I have the parts (have to check if as recommended above) but have several quite different recommendations for mounting/sealing the piezos, plus I have samples of different diameters. Piezos are for waterproof headsets and I don’t hunt where I’d intentionally dunk them. So I would think that an off the shelf non-piezo set would likely be superior in response - but all the talk is about using piezos. I use my CTX with the wm10 and earbuds and I’m good.  When I compared my AQ to a friend’s it seemed 1” less sensitive and both had identical looking headsets.  Mine also was re-validated at the factory although I haven’t been able to validate that performance myself. That factory performance should have been tested with the headphones I sent in attached to it. 

I tested several speakers on PI's and the Excalibur over the years......... Kobitone 254-DS408 8 ohm, AudioSears 2463 150 ohm, All Electronics 300 ohm, Kobitone 25CE500 600 ohm.. than a few others. For me, I liked the 50mm Piezo PUI Audio Unlimited, I got the most from that piezo. I do think if I was using a discrimination filter than speakers maybe the ticket... But i like all metal only and the Volume and sharpness of the piezo.

There's only so many ways you can mount them, play around some. You know how I like to do mine.. Mine uses the full ear cup and a horn to direct the audio of the Piezo directly into my ear canal while the earcup resonates the audio.... The most popular mount is the Piezo plate..... something I will never understand is why everyone uses a thicker piece to mount the piezo to.............the thinner, the wilder the audio. Try this stuff..(pictured below) very loud, more bass-ey than I like..  Use this glue to mount all..(pictured) Very LOUD.

A little trick I do when I mount them in the back of the earcup.....have them hooked up to the machine I plan on using them with, Press the piezo in place to get the strongest audio, than hold in place till the epoxy dries. Takes about 30 minutes each.. ............. when the black piezo rim (of the PUI 50mm) is pressed and held,... it will give louder audio. 

IMG_2012_rd2oyj.jpg

IMG_2014_yaps9t.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

• Like 1