Fisher Impulse AQ Now A Retail Model?

On 4/4/2024 at 9:13 PM, Tony said:

can also allow a longer pulse width which is needed to energise both higher karat gold rings and bigger ones as well.

Yes! Noticed the benefits of longer width when I was using the Sand Shark..  If only we had all the good features in a package that could be taken into the water.

On 4/4/2024 at 9:13 PM, Tony said:

The stated resolution on the Delay potentiometer is not that accurate (this is from Eric himself)....the minimum and maximum values are reasonably accurate but the settings in between are just a guide. I think your post illustrates this very well (especially as you say you notice quite a difference from 11 to 11.5). And yes, in moving salt water, 20uS is the goldilocks setting......I've been saying this for many years. 20uS tames the salt noise but can also allow a longer pulse width which is needed to energise both higher karat gold rings and bigger ones as well.

The AQs I tested did well with a 21K gold band, as far as the big rings.. the machine seemed to have sweet area, 5 grams and up, no matter the K/purity it would hit between 16 to 19 inches. Once past 19 it dropped off fast on all.

And weird is both of my AQ's did this.. In (my)rougher bay brackish waters I would go from 10.5 delay to the the next highest setting.. 11..the machines would calm down some than I would go to 11.5..hunt for about 15 minutes, than I could slowly adjust it back down too 10.5/11 and it would still be calm.

20 hours ago, tvr said:

If only we had all the good features in a package that could be taken into the water.

I cringe every time I walk out into the water with the AQ

2 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

The AQs I tested did well with a 21K gold band, as far as the big rings.. the machine seemed to have sweet area, 5 grams and up, no matter the K/purity it would hit between 16 to 19 inches. Once past 19 it dropped off fast on all.

And weird is both of my AQ's did this.. In (my)rougher bay brackish waters I would go from 10.5 delay to the the next highest setting.. 11..the machines would calm down some than I would go to 11.5..hunt for about 15 minutes, than I could slowly adjust it back down too 10.5/11 and it would still be calm.

I cringe every time I walk out into the water with the AQ

The AQ would punch even deeper if it had a longer pulse width........with a longer pulse width comes more battery drain and we all know that the measly battery capacity on the AQ meant Fisher were going to skimp on this feature. Eric built the Aquastar (and maybe the Deepstar) with an adjustable pulse width control.....this was a great feature if you wanted to go looking for the bigger and deeper gold. It cut the run time in half but was still good for about 5 hours. There is a possibility that the AQ's pulse delay control is "drifting".....what shows on the dial may not accurately represent what's going on "under the hood".

I mentioned earlier that Eric picked up "code errors" that I think may have been part of the pulse delay problem. Does switching off the detector reset the pulse delay to where it shows it should be? I'm trying to find the email where Eric talks about this.

Fisher need to offer a "recalibration" service that sorts this problem out......maybe they did on later models?

4 hours ago, Tony said:

The AQ would punch even deeper if it had a longer pulse width........with a longer pulse width comes more battery drain and we all know that the measly battery capacity on the AQ meant Fisher were going to skimp on this feature. Eric built the Aquastar (and maybe the Deepstar) with an adjustable pulse width control.....this was a great feature if you wanted to go looking for the bigger and deeper gold. It cut the run time in half but was still good for about 5 hours. There is a possibility that the AQ's pulse delay control is "drifting".....what shows on the dial may not accurately represent what's going on "under the hood".

I mentioned earlier that Eric picked up "code errors" that I think may have been part of the pulse delay problem. Does switching off the detector reset the pulse delay to where it shows it should be? I'm trying to find the email where Eric talks about this.

Fisher need to offer a "recalibration" service that sorts this problem out......maybe they did on later models?

No reverts back to 7 if I remember correct and you have to adjust, Carolina told me the details. As far as the recalibration, I highly doubt they did that to any of them.

Would have been a great machine if Eric had been a part of all. And I'm Happy with mine but like I said, Each trip out you say a pray. 

1 hour ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Would have been a great machine if Eric had been a part of all

I think pride (Fisher/Alexandre) got in the way of letting this happen......Eric would have gladly helped out (his words).

The desire at all costs of running ridiculously low pulse delays in a marine environment was detrimental to the overall function of the detector.......achieving proper damping / residual ringing at those settings means something is loss somewhere else (part of the reason the AQ had a short pulse width). Everything else in the electrical chain becomes ever more critical and no room for design flaws.....let alone mechanical ones.

They should have totally abandoned the Tone and Volcanic Sand settings......they had enough on their plate already to perfect.......hence my vision some years ago of an AQ "Lite" version.

In your hands Joe......you can make the AQ produce gold but for other mere mortals then they'd better know what they're dealing with 😬

What is it that is masking out some coins? Do you guys have a setup that seems to eliminate the problem - maybe at the cost of some other behavior?  I’ve never spent time on looking at this. I just know it happens and the design team thinks it’s a normal consequence of trying to have a gold sweet spot that no other detector has (???).

2 hours ago, bklein said:

What is it that is masking out some coins? Do you guys have a setup that seems to eliminate the problem - maybe at the cost of some other behavior?  I’ve never spent time on looking at this. I just know it happens and the design team thinks it’s a normal consequence of trying to have a gold sweet spot that no other detector has (???).

As Steve posted...  - digging coins in the surf is a waste of my time and effort.

I agree.. The AQ does the Cherry Picking for you..❤️