Fisher Impulse AQ Now A Retail Model?

21 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

the changing of batteries in a 2-3 hour span, I would imagine, would turn off water hunters.

That was an issue with the AQ LTD that Joe Beechnut (OBN) solved and was gracious enough to build battery packs for many who had the first units. If the current units are not better than the original factory ones, yes that short battery life is a good reason to not buy one.

21 hours ago, tvr said:

That was an issue with the AQ LTD that Joe Beechnut (OBN) solved and was gracious enough to build battery packs for many who had the first units. If the current units are not better than the original factory ones, yes that short battery life is a good reason to not buy one.

Without Joe, the AQ would not be much fun to swing. Even with 2 batteries, you would be lucky to get 5 hours total. I wonder what was actually done to them recently?

On 4/1/2024 at 12:52 PM, schoolofhardNox said:

Without Joe, the AQ would not be much fun to swing. Even with 2 batteries, you would be lucky to get 5 hours total. I wonder what was actually done to them recently?

Almost nothing that 9m aware of. The last detector that Joe has had changes that were never implemented. What is being sold now is basically the same Fisher AQ as was sold in the beginning. Same 3.5 hour battery, same delicate cables, etc. What you see pictured on the First Texas website is what you get. Current User Manual referenced on that same website.

Ultimately there are some real questions about the max pulse delay setting and quality of the potentiometers being used at this time. Only First Texas can answer those questions, and people should be inquiring them for answers to those questions. In general all we are doing here is speculating and voicing opinions. What is clear is what is advertised on the FT website and nobody should expect anything more than what is being advertised.

fisher-impulse-aq-metal-detector.jpg

fisher-impulse-aq-control-panel.jpg

I wonder if they gave up on development, but wanted return on what they'd already invested so are just producing it as it were, then they need not spend any further money on it.

On 4/1/2024 at 1:09 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Almost nothing that 9m aware of. The last detector that Joe has had changes that were never implemented. What is being sold now is basically the same Fisher AQ as was sold in the beginning. Same 3.5 hour battery, same delicate cables, etc. What you see pictured on the First Texas website is what you get. Current User Manual referenced on that same website.

Ultimately there are some real questions about the max pulse delay setting and quality of the potentiometers being used at this time. Only First Texas can answer those questions, and people should be inquiring them for answers to those questions. In general all we are doing here is speculating and voicing opinions. What is clear is what is advertised on the FT website and nobody should expect anything more than what is being advertised.

😅 I was naively hoping they made improvements. I should have known better. 🙄 Maybe Alexandre should have tried this instead - Algoforce AQ. That would be an interesting collaboration. At least we know it would go into production 😏

Here is a the most curious thing I noticed. The original AQ had a maximum pulse delay of 11.5 uS. Later a change was made to increase that to a maximum of 15 uS.

The current pictures on the FT website at show 11.5 uS on the control faceplate still. And maybe they just never made a new decal, had a ton to use so never changed it. I never ever saw one that said 15 uS. But the User Manual now linked to on the new FT website also shows 11.5 Us as the maximum pulse delay.

FT linked User Manual for Impulse AQ

However, Kellyco still has the last manual I ever saw, a newer manual, linked to on their Impulse AQ page, and it shows 15 uS as the max pulse delay.

Kellyco Impulse AQ User Manual

It appears Kellyco no longer stocks the AQ but sells as special order only, lead time up to 14 days. Good luck with FT selling direct faster for less.

My guess is the max is 15 uS and First Texas never changed the faceplate. And that whoever made the new FT website goofed and linked to an older manual. But for some reason they could also be selling the unit now with the pulse delay set to 11.5 Us max with faceplate and manual to match.

Frankly I have no idea and only FT knows the answer on this one.

fisher-impulse-aq-control-panel.jpg

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The original AQ had a maximum pulse delay of 11.5 uS. Later a change was made to increase that to a maximum of 15 uS.

15uS helps in the moving water (waves sweeping over). Wish it were 20. With the two I have I'm pretty sure they are 15uS because there is little change going from 10.5 to 11 but from the 11 to 11.5 switch position is a good change in the right direction when in the salt water with waves. So much potential in need of just a little bit of polishing.

3 hours ago, tvr said:

15uS helps in the moving water (waves sweeping over). Wish it were 20. With the two I have I'm pretty sure they are 15uS because there is little change going from 10.5 to 11 but from the 11 to 11.5 switch position is a good change in the right direction when in the salt water with waves. So much potential in need of just a little bit of polishing.

The stated resolution on the Delay potentiometer is not that accurate (this is from Eric himself)....the minimum and maximum values are reasonably accurate but the settings in between are just a guide. I think your post illustrates this very well (especially as you say you notice quite a difference from 11 to 11.5). And yes, in moving salt water, 20uS is the goldilocks setting......I've been saying this for many years. 20uS tames the salt noise but can also allow a longer pulse width which is needed to energise both higher karat gold rings and bigger ones as well.

On 4/4/2024 at 6:13 PM, Tony said:

especially as you say you notice quite a difference from 11 to 11.5

he was pointing out that going from 11 to 11.5 is actually going from 11 to 15, so a bigger jump than the erroneous 11.5 marking implies. Assuming it is 15 uS which is all but impossible for normal users to know for sure. If it's something they said was done in the past but current photos and referenced user manual say different..... ??????

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

he was pointing out that going from 11 to 11.5 is actually going from 11 to 15, so a bigger jump than the erroneous 11.5 marking implies. Assuming it is 15 uS which is all but impossible for normal users to know for sure. If it's something they said was done in the past but current photos and referenced user manual say different..... ??????

I see now, missed that part. They sure made it confusing. Probably best to ignore the dial readings and just set it to suit the conditions.