New Permission... Couple ID Questions

Wow that's a great looking site that you could probably never hunt completely out.The hexagon pieces look like trade tokens at a glance?Congrats on the SLQ in my opinion they are one of the more beautiful coins ever minted here in the USA.And tough to come by for a lot of us as well.Personally I have found many more seated and barber quarters than standing liberties and that seems to be the case for a lot of other diggers that I have known through the years.Good hunting at your new permission and looking forward to seeing no doubt many more good finds.

Doc.

• Like 3

Very nice hunt with some great finds.

Good luck on your next outing and stay warm out there.

Wow Rod, beautiful place and great hunt. Looks like you got a bit of everything from an un-hunted permission! Looking forward to your next search already. 😀

Here's a possibility for your hexagonal objects - cannery tokens. Are any of them stamped?1_90435acae0173dff72b7f63017e9fd98.jpg.b172e4d96a119aa169d41f9aa540b386.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/dictionary/p/coins-currency/trade/cannery-tokens

• Like 1

I agree, that is a pretty place & should have a lot more interesting finds.    The small wheel looks to be from a toy locomotive or train car. The octagon pieces remind me of the copper fasteners used on slate roofs but yours look to large and don't seem to have the wire shank. I would guess the stepped round brass pieces are some type of reinforcement piece for something made out of wood.   That's a special find on the SLQ.

• Like 2

Your coin is a KG2 Hibernia, depending on where the harp is pretty much determines its year. Could be a "Woods" coin making it even more valuable. If you can get some better pics of it (Don't clean it hard!) It would help, but start there. 👍

Awesome coin. "Georgius Dei Gratia Rex" 🏆 

Also, your Standing Liberty is in great shape 🙂 Hopefully @GB_Amateur will weigh in.

• Like 2

That permission is quite the Christmas present that hopefully keeps on giving for a long time.  The hexagonal tokens(?) show a variety of patina colors which is likely the result of the varying soil chemistry (e.g. acidity/pH).

The mint designers seem to have had a blind spot in the 1910's, with all three of Buffalo/Indian nickel, Standing Liberty quarter, and Walking Liberty half being vulnerable to rather quick loss of date due to the dates not being recessed.  For the SLQ there was a change made in 1925 to alleviate that problem but that was only partially successful.  Thus finding specimens with even partial (readable) dates is tough throughout the 15 years of production, let alone full dates.

As you likely know your 'Type 1' was only minted for 1916 and the first part of 1917.  The change resulted from complaints due to the 'topless' depiction of lady liberty.  Other changes were included, such as the number of stars on the shield and the easily recognized three stars added under the Eagle.  Even the latter difference shows up on the well worn (dateless) coins.

If yours had the 1916 date we'd be extremely excited.  As it stands the combination of discoloration and scratches in addition to the relatively high mintage figure (only 11 of the 37 dates+mintmarks+type listed in the Redbook have higher mintages) likely renders yours a display piece, but still something to be appreciated.  As Doc Bach points out, SLQ's seem to be particularly elusive to metal detectorists among small denomination silver 20th Century USA coins.  I myself have yet to find one, even a dateless version.

• Like 4

On 12/20/2023 at 7:25 AM, F350Platinum said:

Wow Rod, beautiful place and great hunt. Looks like you got a bit of everything from an un-hunted permission! Looking forward to your next search already. 😀

Here's a possibility for your hexagonal objects - cannery tokens. Are any of them stamped?1_90435acae0173dff72b7f63017e9fd98.jpg.b172e4d96a119aa169d41f9aa540b386.jpg

F350, I will try to find some markings.  I hadnt seen any at first glance, though.  really look like them, though.  thank you for the possible match

• Like 2

On 12/20/2023 at 7:25 AM, F350Platinum said: