A Question About Sweeping Technique On Fields

My intention with this question is not to suggest that I think anyone is doing it wrong, or that I'm an authority on the subject, but to see if I'm missing something.

I can't help but notice that many online detectorists, especially those who frequently detect large fields, sweep their coils in large open arcs, missing much of the ground in between swings. They also tend to sweep very rapidly and walk quickly.

Is there a reason for this? Is it more productive in the long run to sweep like this on large fields?

What really perplexes me is when they find a nice target they often proceed to move rapidly away from it, using the same sweeping technique, whereas I would personally detect the immediate area with overlapping swings. 

Am I out to lunch?

I will frequently use such a sweeping technique when scouting. My specific intent here is to find old buildings or potential hotspots without spending a ton of time.  If I find something good, then I will slow down and grid that area. Sometimes I may continue scouting if I know I can come back this location later.

Machines have come a long way. In the ancient times 😄 a fast sweep was guaranteed to miss deep stuff. These days some machines require you sweep faster to grab a signal better. Too slow and they may not detect it at all. Now a sloppy pattern to your sweep, leaves the rest of us to clean up after them. So those guys sweeping like that is a good thing. Keep it up guys. 😇

• The title was changed to A Question About Sweeping Technique On Fields
10 hours ago, fogrider said:

I can't help but notice that many online detectorists, especially those who frequently detect large fields, sweep their coils in large open arcs, missing much of the ground in between swings. They also tend to sweep very rapidly and walk quickly.

I see a lot of incorrect swings which is good if it is were I go. 😀 The main reason for fast rough swings is to have a look around the area. I use it a lot when searching for a gold patch. A lot of ground has no targets and a lot of ground to cover. Some locations are full of junk and a quick swing around the spot will help find if the area is worth spending more time further out. When a good location is found that is were technique is important, and I see a lot of methods that would lose good targets on YouTube type posts.   

When I first picked up a detector I had a strange pattern that I was using, it was a figure 8 and I sometimes hit my head with the coil. Then when I was around 10 my grandfather taught me to keep the coil level with the ground and to go side to side. I swung the coil at a steady pace, not to fast and not to slow, and was finding all sorts of stuff.

I guess when a person is finding things they are looking for when they are detecting properly they just get hooked on detectors.

There is no one way to swing a detector, but it is better to keep it near the ground.

I think Geologyhound nailed it, I swing fast while scouting for the same reason and because I can 😎, the processors are so fast on the newest machines it almost doesn't matter. Sometimes I am blown away with what new machines can do in milliseconds.

I keep my coil flat and never too high over the ground. I'll change modes and sensitivity if there is stubble. 

It's never too fast however like some people we've seen in videos. 🙄 You're going to miss stuff. If you have repeat permission to return, it isn't all that critical, and next time you can go in a tangential or perpendicular direction. 😁

I'm also a fan of the "grab" that Schoolofhardnox mentioned, a high blip and I'm on it, trying to get it centered for a precise reading. It's an acquired skill.

The "turn" is also important, turning 45-90-360 on something can render all the info you need.

The benefit of this, and it's important to me, is to get my coil over the most good stuff in the least time. 😀

14 hours ago, Digalicious said:

Aside from finding hotspots that Hound mentioned, in clean ground, a fast swing speed will often hit on deeper targets better than a slow swing speed.

On a side note, I think this occurs because with a slow swing speed, the change in the coil's field on a deep target, is much more subtle than the abrupt change to the coil's field with a fast swing fast. Kind of like the difference between someone gently touching your arm, and someone giving a quick tap to your arm. That gentle touch isn't felt, but the quick tap is 🙂

For the most part when i am on my own permissions here in the UK i am not against the clock so i swing slow and low and very methodically and that just suits my style of detecting,but if i am on say a club dig or rally and we have the clock ticking against us like usually 8-10 hours during the summer months then i will speed up my swing speed still not by much though.

For me and always has been slow and methodical.