Man Do I Feel Stupid

I had a similar experience to you.  First time out with the AQ on the beach.  Dug a few tent stakes thinking I was actually figuring out the new machine.  Dug a crusty penny and suddenly the machine was acting strange.  Every time I swung the coil from right to left the machine would signal a target.  When I went from left to right, nothing.  I changed settings, but nothing could change the machine.  I started to think that the machine was defective and that I would have to send it back to Fisher.  So I turn off the AQ and head back to the beach condo to get another machine.  Since it was a little cold and breezy I left the headphones on for warmth.  Once I got back into the room I took the headphones off and realized that I did not turn off my pinpointer after I dug the last target.  Since my pouch was on my left hip, every time I swung to the left it detected the pinpointer.  As Gilda Radner said "Never Mind."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

…or when you can’t figure out why a target is still there under a bush when you dig and dig and dig, only to notice then that there’s a little bit of wire tucked away up inside the branches of the bush?

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

All of the above, plus forgetting about the titanium in my shoulder when trying to pinpoint while kneeling. How many of you waste time trying to find your detector when you walk back to the truck for a break or wander over to check out what your partner is digging?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I drove 90 minutes to a swim area that had the water completely drained out. I get there all giddy, then realized I forgot my detector! The stupidest thing about it, is I had it sitting near my front door to make sure I wouldn't forget it! I was just so excited about that hunt, that my head was in la la land as I practically ran out the front door.

Since then, I always make a list for my long drive hunts. Especially for my in water hunts that require a lot more gear than dirt hunting. Even for short drive hunts, I go through a mental checklist now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I've driven a couple of hours to get to gold detecting spots a number of times over the years only to unload my stuff and find something missing, either my gold bottle which is a disaster when you only mostly find very tiny gold so now I have gold bottles stashed everywhere just in case, my scoop which I can survive without with great difficulty, or more commonly my pick as I keep it out in the garage not with my detecting stuff (bosses orders) so needless to say I have a few extra picks not ideal for prospecting that I've bought at nearby hardware stores due to this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I dug a potentially explosive cannonball yesterday. 💀

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 4