Axiom Programming Bug Or Quirk

This is a link to a video of a Axiom running a 13 inch DD coil.

I did a Factory Reset and ran the same ground balance a second time with the same results, the ground did not seem extreme, it was basically mostly Granite rock on a hillside with maybe an inch of loose soil blown on the surface. The target was on the surface and was likely a small 22 pistol size bullet half smashed.  It was as if the target had been mostly Ground Balanced Out, BUT there were no other targets anywhere near by, it only acted like it did in Fine Mode.  I could understand it if the ground somehow ground balanced very closed to the bullet reading, BUT it did not ground balance the same in any mode other than Fine. Bug in Fine Mode Balancing.?

Odd.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5PAE8CR6fKQarSf18

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

• The title was changed to Axiom Programming Bug Or Quirk

I watched the video, that's pretty bizarre.  Especially for such a large target, hopefully someone with an Axiom can chime in with some help.  I didn't even think it would be possible to balance out a 22 shell even if you tried.

• Like 2

I had similar issues with my first 11X7DD coil. I made a video and sent it to Garrett. They sent me a new coil BUT, I still am not satisfied with using any DD coil in Fine Mode.

Like Knomad, switching the DD coils to Normal makes them operate very well as far as ground balancing and sensitivity at least on my Axiom. It's weird and kind of counter intuitive since the DDs have that small focused core that mimics a mono coil with a DD surrounding it. That small mono core should love Fine Mode.

I just gave up at one site where I had only taken the 11X7" DD. Fine Mode absolutely would not ground balance and the ground at that site is not extreme. I make sure to take my 11X7" Mono coil with me no matter what.

If this iteration of DD coils shouldn't be used in Fine Mode, Garrett needs to let us know or fix the problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I use my 11x7 DD exclusively in Fine Mode and in the worst of ground with no problem.

Were you able to watch Knomad's video? It is very good and shows exactly what I was experiencing too.

The new coil that Garrett sent me does better than the old one in Fine Mode as far as sometimes ground balancing but sometimes not. Could the post production versions of the Axiom with the software update just be too hot sensitivity wise for some of those coils somehow?

13 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Were you able to watch Knomad's video? It is very good and shows exactly what I was experiencing too.

The new coil that Garrett sent me does better than the old one in Fine Mode as far as sometimes ground balancing but sometimes not. Could the post production versions of the Axiom with the software update just be too hot sensitivity wise for some of those coils somehow?

I'm running a production machine with the latest update.

The target in the video appears to be matching the ground balance point. Each mode ground balances differently as is made obvious by the different numbers when in different modes. Could be a problem with coils or machines or both - I am not saying it is not. Just that with multiple machines using multiple coils with hundreds of hours in Australia, California, and Nevada I have not encountered any odd issues with one exception. On small areas of nearly pure black sand up at Tahoe the mono coils will not work and the DD coils barely work. I've never seen a situation where the mono coils ran better on bad ground than the DD coil - just the opposite.

In Knomads case I'd try not ground balancing the detector to see if the target is being rejected only at that specific ground balance setting and coil in Fine mode as is shown. Trying other coils is always a good idea also.

Again I am not saying there is not a problem or making excuses to try and explain anything away. I'm just saying my experience with the DD coils is not the same as yours Jeff. And for all I know maybe there is a hole in the Fine Mode when running a DD I am unaware of because I can't know what I am missing.

I know Andy has also come to favor the DD coil over the mono.

• Like 5

I haven't had any problems running the Axiom DD coils and actually prefer them over the mono for multiple reason. I know in fine mode on my machine there's no hole in the GB that's taking out. 22 brass or lead because I've dug multiples of each on various trips. One thing I would try is a frequency scan.

In the video it doesn't appear the Axiom is ground balancing right in fine mode and maybe EMI is playing a part in that. I would try a frequency scan even if there's no auditable EMI being heard. I didn't notice what speed was being used either, I think medium is default, slow might be better as It let's less interference in. Other than that I don't know what be causing the weird response.

• Like 2

That was actually the 13 inch DD coil, not the 11 inch.  I was short on time so did not try anything other than a factory reset and Re-balancing, and different modes. I do believe the general sensitivity was not what I would expect, so that is why I put down a test target I had and did a factory reset, actually twice, but it was not until I switched modes that I regained most of the sensitivity and depth, I still think 6 inches on that target was not very good.  An hour later in different ground I was detecting TINY targets at greater depths. Conclusion - Some odd Quiet ground that did not look unusual, that the programming in fine could not handle.

• Like 1

One thing I noticed in your video is that your headphones were trying to connect while you were going over the target in fine mode. The audio actually went blank. But 2 swings into you trying medium the headphones were not trying to connect. I've had this same thing happen when trying to film video where you turn off your headphones but the Axiom is still trying to pair with them and the speaker audio goes blank.

• Like 3

I have not had any issues in ground balancing either DD that I have which is the 13x11 and the 7x11, both seem to balance great in Fine mode, I run my sensitivity at 4 or 5 sometimes down on 3, I do tend to run the 7x11 Mono more though, and I do not use the headphones that came with my Axiom, I use the relay that Wiggins from Avantree sent to me and the Avantree Torus exclusively also, the ground I detect Balances around 54-57 has been as high as 68 on the upper numbers and 44-47 on the lower number

• Like 2