Research Is Paying Off

I was able to secure two out of three permissions that I want today. And I was able to spend about an hour and a half detecting around the tree that was at the start/finish line of the horse race track that I've been researching. The very first thing that set the equinox off was a horseshoe! Perfect. The owners wife asked if we found one she would like it. And it was my first target! Lots iron trash. Wire, nails etc. We did find a few square nails. 22 short rifle cases. One .32 s&w case AND a .45 cal muzzleloader ball that has a jag hole from being pulled out of the rifle. One overalls button and a Levi Strauss rivet made sometime after 1890. Broken harness buckle and a tag that reads James Farmer Bliss Ida. And of course a few dodads that I can't identify. 

Off to a good start.

KIMG0717.JPG

KIMG0716.JPG

KIMG0715.JPG

KIMG0714.JPG

• The title was changed to Research Is Paying Off

Nice hunt and don't forget to go down both sides of the track where the people stood. There is always good items left there.

Good luck on your next outing.

Some tremendous finds and that permission certainly has more potential from that race track,when detecting here in the UK i often look out for 'church spires' and if 2 are within sight i will detect between them as those are often prime locations for finds that have been dropped from horse racing....that is how 'Steeple Chase' got its name from.

Nice hunt LS,

A new permission is always a blast. 👍 When you start finding buttons and horse tack decorations, a lot of which look like furniture tacks, you're in the area where they mounted/dismounted. Nearby there should be a spot where they brought food and drink for outdoor picnics. There should be hotspots at each end and along the track, but not too close as it would have been dangerous. 

That looks like a working farm, I hope there is no electric fence.

🍀

The start/finish line was between the old tree a newer house. The next house appears to built right on the track. Everything behind is a working ranch. My wife and I will go back with different coils and time but rain in the forecast today. The fence through the tree is a property line which is pain but the equinox can get real close. The highway is to close and at the end of day EMI from some cars going by was getting worse. Have hopes for some good finds. The picnic area should be across the  highway (or under it😥). I need to work on that permission.

And I need new head phones. Mine has stoped pairing with the detector so I had to use the wired up method. 

Some of the descendants of the old families are now excited to see what we find.

Just now, Lost Scout said:

The start/finish line was between the old tree a newer house. The next house appears to built right on the track. Everything behind is a working ranch. My wife and I will go back with different coils and time but rain in the forecast today. The fence through the tree is a property line which is pain but the equinox can get real close. The highway is to close and at the end of day EMI from some cars going by was getting worse. Have hopes for some good finds. The picnic area should be across the  highway (or under it😥). I need to work on that permission.

And I need new head phones. Mine has stoped pairing with the detector so I had to use the wired up method. 

Some of the descendants of the old families are now excited to see what we find.

Forgot to add that we are digging most all of the signals knowing that a lot of wire and nails will come up but don't want to miss horse tack etc.

4 hours ago, Lost Scout said:

If you want a great cheap pair of headphones, check these out:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08QRQMLVY

Right now they are $34. They are great when it gets warmer, very loud for on - ear headphones. Been using them for a long time with my Equinox.

Nice ! An old abandoned horse race location . 

( I live on one but this one was never abandoned.) 

I recognized the storm window lock (top right in junk photos.) 

The horseshoe was a sign of good luck. 🥸

I predict a lot of silver.....🤔

18 hours ago, RickUK said:

Some tremendous finds and that permission certainly has more potential from that race track,when detecting here in the UK i often look out for 'church spires' and if 2 are within sight i will detect between them as those are often prime locations for finds that have been dropped from horse racing....that is how 'Steeple Chase' got its name from.

I never knew that. Cool.

6 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

If you want a great cheap pair of headphones, check these out:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08QRQMLVY

Right now they are $34. They are great when it gets warmer, very loud for on - ear headphones. Been using them for a long time with my Equinox.

Had to go to Boise today so picked up a pair of JLab studio pros on sale. I'll compare with the minelab sound quality.