Has The CTX Had Its Day? Coiltek Thinks So.

Thanks for the link Steve. So per Minelab the  Smart Coils and the advanced electronics in the CTX (what ever that may be) allow for more  "advanced signal analysis for more accurate detection"  I think "Accurate detection" are the key words there...If Minelab could make a faster and more accurate at depth CTX replacement I would put myself on that wait list...certainly the manticore is fast and deep enough it just lacks the accuracy of the CTX...

Since I've never used a E-trac I'm wondering how the depth and Accuracy of that machine was compared to the CTX seems they were both operating in the same frequency range.

strick 

The thing that just perked up my ears about the E-Trac was no chip, and sure enough because of this you can buy the full Nel range of coils for it, and even Detech have their 13" Ultimate, one of my favourite coils ever.

I'm annoyed now, I could have had an E-trac a few months ago for $368 USD, it had some damage to its coil cable with electrical tape over the splitting, but I could have fixed that, and I'd buy aftermarket coils anyway.    I didn't even blink at it thinking I had the far superior CTX and the aftermarket coils I wasn't aware of either.  Damn it.

In my use of both the CTX (borrowed a friends) and Etrac, I didn't find any significant difference in depth or target I.D. Having come from an Explorer with compatible coils, it was an easier transition to the Etrac. CTX has a lot more bells and whistles, but, other than the target trace and extra water resistance, I didn't see the extra $1000 in value (plus the extra expense of other coils), so, I went with the Etrac. It's a wonderful machine and found me lots of goodies over the years. If it was waterproof and lighter, I might still be using it. It's target I.D. is still better than the 800 and 900. Depth is too close to call in good ground. In bad or sketchy ground the Nox's are better.

I’ve owned and liked them both. The CTX brought a few more bells and whistles to the table for sure. Though I never really used things like the GPS, I did appreciate the improved screen, Target Trace and separation modes. Even though it was still heavy, I liked the ergonomics of the 3030 better. Especially the trigger style pinpoint button. I still prefer the flutey tones of the Etrac.

With the coil selection, the eTrac was always my favorite coin detector on land...excluding beach hunting.

The only time I preferred the CTX was for the saltwater beach.  I did however, like the balance of the CTX better.  

I guess the NZ detecting community thinks it's done its dash too, a CTX just sold for $460 NZD at Auction, $281 USD with a new battery that cost a bulk of that, it had the typical CTX faulty screen lines which you can put up with or buy a new screen from China for $30 or so USD delivered and fit it yourself, not even a difficult repair for the electronics challenged. 

I'm quite annoyed I didn't buy it, cheaper than a coil for it here.  I'll keep my eyes out for any other CTX's for sale now, I want a spare, it's my favourite deep silver detector by far.

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

I guess the NZ detecting community thinks it's done its dash too, a CTX just sold for $460 NZD at Auction, $281 USD with a new battery that cost a bulk of that, it had the typical CTX faulty screen lines which you can put up with or buy a new screen from China for $30 or so USD delivered and fit it yourself, not even a difficult repair for the electronics challenged. 

I'm quite annoyed I didn't buy it, cheaper than a coil for it here.  I'll keep my eyes out for any other CTX's for sale now, I want a spare, it's my favourite deep silver detector by far.

Wow! That was a great deal! I've done the screen repair before and like you said, it was really easy. I'd love to find one at that price just to have around. 

I'm a bit late to the thread... I have posted about my love of the CTX + 17" coil previously so I am very biased... but it really was the perfect machine for park hunting. Here in a large Midwestern US city park hunting is the only game in town... and the CTX was perfect for the job. Around 2012 seemed to be the peak of park hunting - my competitors with Etracs were getting a few hundred silver a year. Could have been their skill level but I always did well in the years afterward with the CTX in the areas they considered "hunted out". I look forward to any CTX successor, but I don't think there is too much left undiscovered with regards to silver, and I see people just assume newer model = instantly better so most people I know use the Equinox.

44 minutes ago, frozen_north said:

I'm a bit late to the thread... I have posted about my love of the CTX + 17" coil previously so I am very biased... but it really was the perfect machine for park hunting. Here in a large Midwestern US city park hunting is the only game in town... and the CTX was perfect for the job. Around 2012 seemed to be the peak of park hunting - my competitors with Etracs were getting a few hundred silver a year. Could have been their skill level but I always did well in the years afterward with the CTX in the areas they considered "hunted out". I look forward to any CTX successor, but I don't think there is too much left undiscovered with regards to silver, and I see people just assume newer model = instantly better so most people I know use the Equinox.

I agree, the CTX 17" coil is the pinnacle of deep silver hunting machines, not yet surpassed from anything I've used.

2 hours ago, frozen_north said:

I look forward to any CTX successor, but I don't think there is too much left undiscovered with regards to silver,

We are having a hard time finding silvers here too. But with the depth capabilities on the CTX it's hard to imagine that any coin has sunk much deeper than it's reach.