A Reimagined CTX

longbow62

Forgive me if I've brought this up before. So I have a Nox 800 and a Manticore. I really like both of those detectors although other than side by side testing I don't use my 800 anymore. It's just basically a backup these days. I even have a backup for my backup a Nokta Legend. People love the Etrac and CTX for their I.D., depth, and silver finding abilities. Both are still formidable detectors. I do not understand why Minelab has not taken the CTX and put it in a Nox/Manticore form factor. I never owned a CTX, but did own an Etrac. If the Etrac had been as light as my 800 I probably would have kept it. It seems like a no brainer for Minelab to rework the CTX FBS II into a lighter machine. Other than it's weight doesn't the CTX still have a lot going for it? I'd also bet everyone that still swings a CTX would probably buy the lighter version. A 5+ pound machine these days is ridiculous. 

• Like 4

With modern processing technology they may even be able to improve recovery speeds of the CTX which seems to be its limiting factor in high trash.

I'm sure they could also increase small target sensitivity if they wanted to, the CTX has a lot going for it, I'm satisfied with a Nox 800, so the Manticore although having some better features isn't a giant jump over the Nox, if I had my choice, I would have preferred they release a new model CTX than a new model Nox 800.

Perhaps they've decided multi-IQ is their future and prefer to continue developing that rather than FBS2.

I would think seeing the Manticore basically has proven the fact they've tapped out multi-IQ already they may revisit the FBS detector range.

• Like 6

Batteries.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Batteries.

I kinda thought Minelab engineers should be able to fit everything in a CTX into a Manticore size package. I understand it would be a ground up redesign of electronics and power, but the CTX is a great detector. So many people including myself do see the Ferrous-Conductive I.D. as a plus. I was even hoping the Manticore would incorporate it. I also kinda think the CTX is way more expensive to manufacture parts wise than the Manticore is. Therefore I don't see why a redesigned CTX would cost as much as the present CTX. 

• Like 1

Let's look at the possibilities of both top Minelab detectors on large coils in comparison to 63 targets...
It is also an excellent comparison of CTX and Manticore detection technology...

• Like 1

I don't' have time to watch the full video right now but the CTX is clearly displaying it's accurate Target ID dominance in that video, rock solid whereas the Manticore is often all over the place.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 9:45 AM, longbow62 said:

People love the Etrac and CTX for their I.D., depth, and silver finding abilities. 

Don't sell it short on finding gold... it is a very capable of finding gold rings and other gold jewelry...yes a ctx in a lighter and faster model would sell well. 

strick

• Like 1

I still have the ET and have no intentions in replacing them with the Manticore. 

I feel the new Minelabs are less well made. And less likely to last. Both my ET's are likely to last for years.

I could not expect a Manticore or the 900 to last. And after warranty repairs are minimal at best on the new machines.

I see that Minelab is going to hike the prices up and I heard 25%. That will please the competition. 

I have the Deus 11 and that is really good though I prefer my ET still. 

I have always wanted a repairable water resistant ET but Minelab then brought out the CTX. XP loved that and sales of the Deus 1 went through the roof in the UK and Europe. 

I like Minelabs but they are getting throwaway machines and pricey. 

My next machine was going to be the Manticore even with my reservations but I cannot ignore the possibility that it will be and XP at some point.

My E.Trax's stay though.

I have rigged up a MR250 wireless module and August EP650 B headphones. Also use the RNB 3400 battery. 

The module needs a cover as it not waterproof.

Even now the ET is a versatile and capable machine.

Doesn’t the CTX have the heaviest coil set? A Pro harness can take the detector weight off you but the swing mass still is a killer. If they came out with a new line of lightweight coils…. I did the work of taking out a board from a damaged coil, now I’m not sure what coil could adapt to it. Wondering if one of the Detec Arrows would be good? Is its weight a problem too?