800 Best Handled Emi With Freq Change

FlySAR

Today, as I moved towards High Tension lines, my 800 acted up while running Park 1 in Multi IQ. Noise Cancel had no affect nor did changing to Park 2. I decided to run through the frequencies. 5k was noisier, 10k a little better, 15k & up was quiet so I continued in 15kHz.

One more Equinox learned item for me.

I haven’t had too much trouble with EMI, but on one occasion it got pretty bad.. Lowering my sensitivity helped but switching to 10 kHz turned the Nox quiet..  Another trick I accidentally discovered when switching to my User Mode.. I had set that mode up to cherry pick high conductors out of Curb Strips. I had everything 17 and below set to Tone 1 and a lower volume..  Most of the EMI just came across as a bunch of low tone puttering..

Bryan

Also, if manual noise cancel didnt work (remember, also each mode requires a separate noise cancel too) don't forget to try to lower sensitivity first (I wouldn't go much below 15) before bailing on MultiIQ and going to single.

Example noise reduction sequence:

Obviously, avoid power lines, dog fences, electric fences, transformer boxes, cell towers, radio towers, airports, WiFi repeaters, busy roads, if you can, but site selection limits what you have control over. Even high altitude aircraft flybys can transiently cause issues.

Remove/shield personal sources of EMI (e g., cell phone, GPS Device, Walkie Talkie) and other powered on detectors.

Select Mode then

Auto Noise Cancel then

Manual Noise Cancel, if auto ineffective, then

Auto/Man GB if ground noise present, then

Lower Sens (wouldn't go much lower than 13 - 15),  then

Either try switching modes (don't forget to Auto/Man noise cancel and GB again, as necessary, when you do switch) or

If you still want to stay in the present mode, progressively notch out lower VDIs or

Go Single Freq (higher freqs are less sensitive to EMI but also less sensitive to higher conductors).

You can improvise and mix up the order of the last few steps at or after sensitivity reduction depending on your situation and personal target preferences.  It's all about tradeoffs and maintaining as much capability (e.g., depth vs. target selection)  as you possibly can.

Note: once you go single Freq I don't think it matters which Park or Field mode you are in at that point other than the tone, recovery, and iron bias default settings associated with those modes.  Beach doesn't have single Freq capability and Gold has VCO audio so they are different animals altogether.  

I have some high power lines running several hundred yards from my house and when playing out in my front yard with my 600, I noticed the same thing. Multi was a bit noisy, but still could use it, switching frequencies, 5k was terrible, very noisily and noise canceling again did nothing to improve it. 10 and 15 were fine.