Informal Testing Of The GPZ Vs The 5000 On Mossy, Wiry Gold

My old gold mine at Moore Creek, Alaska produced many pounds of specimen gold with GPX detectors so I know they do the trick. The area the gold Chris and I have was hunted earlier with SD and GP models and way more gold was found with those machines than we found later with the GPZ. What was left was the gold the GPX did not do well on. In other words, the specimens we have were already missed by multiple Minelab operators and so are exactly what a GPX would miss. The scary thing is you would never know they existed until a SDC or GPZ came along.

As Tom Dankowski constantly points out, how do you know what you are missing if the detector you have can't find it?

I would love to put a GPZ over the ground at Moore Creek.

• Like 1

Most of the gold was gold found with the GPZ that I missed with the GPX and GMT. I wanted to try air tests with the GPX at max settings to see if it could detect the gold at all. Most of the smaller specimens are invisible to the GPX.

Story of original in ground location of gold with GPZ http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/742-my-eureka-moment-the-rest-of-the-story/

What is the smallest weight in grains or grams will the GPZ find? The area where find both leaf, wire and sponge type gold on mine dumps and tailing piles a SDC, ATX, GPX or TDI will not pick up the wire gold, where as the GMT will pick up both wire and leaf specimens that are the same weight.

Good question. So far the smallest nugget (flake) I have actually found in the field with the GPZ weighs 1.7 grains (0.11 grams).

If the SDC will not pick it up your gold I doubt the GPZ will. In my opinion the SDC has the edge over the GPZ on the tiniest stuff. The stuff I was finding was stuff the GMT missed specifically because it was big enough to signal on either the GPZ or GMT but too deep for the GMT to find.

Good question. So far the smallest nugget (flake) I have actually found in the field with the GPZ weighs 1.7 grains (0.11 grams).

If the SDC will not pick it up I doubt the GPZ will. In my opinion the SDC has the edge over the GPZ on the tiniest stuff. The stuff I was finding was stuff the GMT missed specifically because it was big enough to signal on either the GPZ or GMT but too deep for the GMT to find.

What was the depth 1.7 grain found at?

Thanks! for providing a great forum.

For what its worth I just did a ton of air tests on my new Z yesterday with a bunch of different settings and compared it to my 4500 since I can't get out and hunt gold right now. It wasn't able to hit a 0.45 grainer no matter how I tweaked it (neither did the 4500). It did hit on a 1/4 grammer that was half quartz (so like less than 1/8th gram gold) about twice as deep as the 4500 though. But, from my rough and inexperienced tests I don't think the Z is going to be dislodging VLF's from my arsenal.

Also for what it's worth, what I saw was running without audio smoothing makes a big difference on hearing both smaller stuff and stuff at depth, which is something JP was saying.

I made a chart but seeing the reaction to the last chart that floated around I decided against posting it.  :D

Oh yeah, also gave it a go on some Gold Basin meteorites and surprsingly, the 4500 was equal or outperformed the Z in all settings I tried, which wasn't the case with gold, kinda surprised me.

Pinpointing with the GPZ7000. How is the Zed at pinpointing? Any major or subtle differences with the Super D coil?

The Super D makes some real complex warbly sounds on small nuggets up close. I am having a tough time pinpointing those little ones and digging holes far too big for the nugget size but I will figure it out eventually. Basically I just need to pay attention and try harder! It is another reason a smaller coil would help me chasing dinks - easier pinpointing. Nails tend to be found in the edge of the hole as much as ever.

Some Aussies are seeing similar good results on specimen gold http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t21142-another-gold-nugget-find-by-paul-andrew