Fisher Gold Bug 2 Price Decrease

The Minimum Advertised price for the Fisher Gold Bug 2 has been US$764 for many years. I just noticed that at least a couple reputable websites are now advertising the Gold Bug 2 for $699. The Gold Bug 2 is getting a bit long in the tooth, having been in production since 1995, yet you can still argue that to this day no detector does a better job of getting the tiniest gold bits with its little 6" concentric coil.

I am not sure if this is a temporary holiday price decrease, or just a response to all the new competition on the market. Still, I thought I would make a note of it for the Fisher Gold Bug 2 fans out there - you know who you are! :smile: Google search for "fisher gold bug 2"

fisher-gold-bug-2-metal-detector.jpg.4b2
Fisher Gold Bug 2 metal detector

I was originally looking to purchase the GM1000, but as they weren't available yet March 2017 and knowing Lunk had the experience, I called him up chatting about what areas I wanted to go detecting... N Idaho gold!. He recommended the Gold Bug 2 for me - he's right ...it fits my personality. He introduced me to Gerry and I met him during a trip to Boise and bought one from him with the 6.5" coil. I really appreciated Gerry's helpful nature in getting me started with it. 

My 3rd trip out I found my first nugget (ever) ...a 218 grainer out of an old tailings pile.  The last time i was on that mtn was for a gov't survey in May 1988.  My next three trips prospecting - nothing, and then 6 tiny pieces one weekend on a late summer trip with Lunk. For the record he had found 16 more to my 6!

He was right that I would like the GB2. The one thing l've noticed is that I can tell a difference in the sensitivity after a solid 8 hr. run on the batteries. It seems to like the full voltage of fresh batteries best. 

20181208_144056.jpg

20180902_092725.jpg

1 hour ago, IDMineralSurveys said:

My 3rd trip out I found my first nugget (ever) ...a 218 grainer out of an old tailings pile.  My next three trips nothing, and then 6 tiny pieces one weekend on a late summer trip with Lunk. For the record he had found 16 more to my 6!

That's a cracking bit of gold plus some solid follow up pieces. 

Well done and well done also to Lunk and Gerry - good service to set you on the right track  ?

9 hours ago, kiwijw said:

.03 of a gram. Not sure what that is in your language.

JW, that little ripper would be called an half grain bit in yankeese lingo. ?

11 hours ago, IDMineralSurveys said:

I was originally looking to purchase the GM1000, but as they weren't available yet March 2017 and knowing Lunk had the experience, I called him up chatting about what areas I wanted to go detecting... N Idaho gold!. He recommended the Gold Bug 2 for me - he's right ...it fits my personality. He introduced me to Gerry and I met him during a trip to Boise and bought one from him with the 6.5" coil. I really appreciated Gerry's helpful nature in getting me started with it. 

Mike, we sure enjoy hooking folks up with a detector that fits their predilections and search areas, and then seeing them going out and being successful with it. Congrats again on those nice nuggets, the first of many!

18 hours ago, phrunt said:

If that's the case you should seriously consider getting some Lithium or Lipo batteries for it rather than using normal alkaline 9v batteries.

Something like these

https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Premium-200mAh-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B004S7BF4G/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1544424915&sr=8-17&keywords=9%2Bvolt%2Bnimh%2Bbattery%2Brechargeable&th=1

Ad says they are NiMH....

Simon,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did pick up a set of Lithium batteries after my last trip out and am going to give them a try - maybe they will help the voltage stability for prolonged field performance like you mention.  It just might be a while as we have winter setting in. I will let you know how they perform in the GB2.

I think the price drop is because of competition and their price points.  $799 for a GM-1000 with 2 coils and $699 for a new 24K with 2 coils certainly is shaking things up a little.  The GB-2 will certainly go down in history as one of my all time favorites though.  My last 1+ pounder was recovered with a GB-2.

1E.JPG

1J.JPG

1Card.jpg

On 12/9/2018 at 11:50 PM, IDMineralSurveys said:

My 3rd trip out I found my first nugget (ever) ...a 218 grainer out of an old tailings pile.  The last time i was on that mtn was for a gov't survey in May 1988.  My next three trips prospecting - nothing, and then 6 tiny pieces one weekend on a late summer trip with Lunk. For the record he had found 16 more to my 6!

He was right that I would like the GB2. The one thing l've noticed is that I can tell a difference in the sensitivity after a solid 8 hr. run on the batteries. It seems to like the full voltage of fresh batteries best. 

20181208_144056.jpg

20180902_092725.jpg

Mike,  I appreciate you allowing us to help your gold collection get even bigger with our detector knowledge.  If I would have known you were goign out to score a nice ID specie like the one above, I may have headed you south...lol.  Nice finds and thanks for sharing.