Sign in to follow this  
garikfox

GPX Coil Question

That's impressive, what's your opinion on the 14x9 evo?

On 8/24/2019 at 11:14 AM, garikfox said:

That's impressive, what's your opinion on the 14x9 evo?

I prefer the rounds mate on the GPX's. They go deeper. Full stop. Large round in the more open areas, the smaller in the scrubby stuff. Have not used the 14 x 9. But the 17 didn't impress me so I guess I'd be equally unimpressed by the 14. That's me though, some people love them on the GPXs, I dont. I like them on VLFs for wierd little specie stuff but never have on any of the SDs, GPs, or GPX's. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 11:40 AM, garikfox said:

I will stick to the Minelab 8'inch for awhile. But i was also thinking of ordering a Coiltek Elite 9"inch

Splitting hairs dude.  The 8" commander mono is an exceptional coil...No need for another one of nearly the exact size.

• Like 2

On 8/12/2019 at 10:10 AM, garikfox said:

Hi again everyone. I went ahead and bought my coils. after many hours of thinking and reading i decided to get 3 additional coils for my GPX. I should be set for life now 🙂

11" Minelab Commander Mono

Nugget Finder 14x9 EVO

Detech 15" Ultimate Spiral DD

On 8/20/2019 at 12:08 PM, garikfox said:

I seem to have messed up and bought another coil 🙂

Nugget Finder 17x13 spoked

I might be stretching the boy scout motto a bit far. Be prepared

Wow.  I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm for your newfound passion, but, frankly, I would slow down on the coil acquisition and focus on learning your new detectors with a minimal of variables at this point (i.e. different coils).  It seems you are just starting out with PI prospecting detecting (if not detecting in general) but it is not clear to me your background as a prospecting detectorist is with your VHF 800 and Gold Monster detectors so ignore the following if it is stuff you already know and I will just put it out there for anyone else new to the hobby in general.

Remember Steve's words of wisdom earlier in this thread: "People go chasing off after coils way to soon in a lot of cases when simply mastering what they have would be more productive."

My advice to you is to just get out there and start learning your new detectors with the stock coils.  There is a lot to learn just on setting up soil timings and learning nuances of the audio language of the GPX...and the GPZ is a completely different beast.   They are both very different than the VHF detectors you may be used to. 

Mixing it up with all these coils, you'll be spending more time loosening and adjusting coil bolts and cords than getting quality detect time training your brain on a consistent baseline coil audio response to various targets.  From that you can start to gradually learn how additional coil types sound and purchase coils on the basis of what they can actually bring to the table in terms of filling the target/capability gaps of your existing coil(s).  All these coils will make the GPX sound and behave slightly differently even with the same exact detector settings.

Avoid the temptation to be enamored of all the bright shiny hardware accessories and user claims of this and that until you get a handle on your detector, your sites, and the targets that reside there [you may already have].  Not sure if this applies to you, but for those new to the hobby, detecting takes a lot of patience, target acquisition and recovery is not all that easy (at least not as easy as the skillfully edited You Tube videos would lead you to believe) and before you invest TOO heavily, it is wise to make sure it is something you are going to enjoy for years to come.  I have seen many folks get frustrated and quit the hobby because they spent too much time wrestling with an overwhelming mass of hardware that they could not master.  Keep the detector piece as simple as possible when starting out.

Though it seems resources are not an issue for you, just know that standalone coils, especially specialty coils tend to not hold their resale value as well as detectors.  So be cautious in investing in coils you may not even need as your return on investment may be pretty low.

Regardless, have fun with your new equipment, but focus on learning those new detectors at this point and the best way to do that is minimize the variables that can reset your learning curve like too many coils.  There will be plenty of time in the future to acquire new hardware, it ain't going anywhere, will probably only get better, and frankly 90% of success in detecting is getting yourself onto a good site where the targets reside, knowing how to attack that site, and gaining field experience.  After that, the equipment's effect on success is really about splitting hairs and the perceived performance deltas come from our obsessive-compulsive personality disorders that make us think that the equipment really makes that big a difference.  I mean, who doesn't like to buy more tools just because they're cool and not because we need them.  :smile:

GL HH.

• Like 2

I understand thanks Chris. I appreciate your information. I'm heading out Sept 18th. I'm going to use just VLF that day. I'll focus on my GPX-5000 later in the fall, i'm probably going to start off with the 8"inch commander mono. 

Im very new i just got my EQ800 in December and just got my GM1000 two months ago. I only used the EQ800 for about 1hr total.

Gotcha. 

1 hour ago, garikfox said:

I understand thanks Chris. I appreciate your information. I'm heading out Sept 18th. I'm going to use just VLF that day. I'll focus on my GPX-5000 later in the fall, i'm probably going to start off with the 8"inch commander mono. 

Im very new i just got my EQ800 in December and just got my GM1000 two months ago. I only used the EQ800 for about 1hr total.

Ok gotcha, that's a good start.  Somehow I had the mistaken impression you just got your Equinox in May based on a previous post, so sorry for the confusion.  In any event, get used to your VHF detector, especially Equinox by just detecting your yard or local parks or ball fields.  You need to get some swing hours in so you are not lost out there in the field, trying to learn your equipment.  That way you can be used to the controls, displays, and audio BEFORE you trek all the way to the gold fields.  Besides claim sites and maps, are you getting any one-on-one assistsnce and instruction from any of your club members in advance of your September excursion?

I'm alone in my prospecting adventure. I've been doing self study of most things including geology. I haven't met any club members yet. I live in SE Maricopa County so its pretty far to our claim sites.

See if you can get with some local detectorists (not necessarily prospectors) so you can work on your detecting skills with local sites and get used to your machines before you hit the claims.  You will be more comfortable and proficient that way, and who knows, maybe you will find you enjoy coin shooting, hunting for jewelry, or ghost town relic detecting too. 

The key is getting to some productive sites if possible so you can be exposed to different targets and their recovery and can get used to how your machine responds to them.

Though it is not cheap, equipment is the least valuable variable in the detecting equation.  Just as expensive golf clubs do not make the golfer, expensive detectors do not really make the targets pop out of the ground any easier. 

I speak from experience.  I thought the key to better detecting success was better and more equipment.  I learned that it was not until I stopped playing musical detectors and focused on learning one type to the best of my ability (including getting some in-person instruction from experienced detectorists) was the key to getting proficient.  That is when things started to click and I started really enjoying detecting. 

The concept of hearing beeps or reading meters is deceptively simple, but the nuances are significant and it took me awhile to understand that the best classroom was not books or video but getting in the field and accumulating hundreds of hours of experience including digging a hell of lot of nails, pull tabs, bottle caps, tractor parts, aluminum cans and tin foil.  But when that gold ring glimmers in your scoop, or that civil war cartridge box plate or uniform button appears in the mud, or that silver quarter pops out as shiny in the sun as it was in 1852, then all the hours of tedium and digging trash become worth it.

I’m admittedly not a natural gold prospector, but the principles are the same, regardless.

Best of luck out there on your prospecting adventures.

Edited by Chase Goldman
Fixed some typos and grammar.
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 3:52 PM, garikfox said:

appreciate your information. I'm heading out Sept 18th. I'm going to use just VLF that day.

So, how did it go, Garikfox?  Hope you and your new detectors are getting along and you are finding some nuggets now.

• Like 1

It was way too hot, 101F. Dug one hole to find a piece of sheet metal, than i called it a day. At least I finally saw the Little San Domingo Wash 🙂

I'm heading back out Oct 4th 🙂 

• Like 1