Button ID And Age Please

To RobNC: 'Thank You' for the reply to my questions. You're fortunate to have the permission for that property for so long ... and also to know that is still can produce the occasional good find for you.

You mentioned a few models I can relate to and that got me drifting back down memory lane for a bit, only to flash forward to my newest detectors.  I've been doing some serious cleaning in my den the past couple of months to get rid of old paperwork (or clutter) and gather up my notes and past efforts so I can work on finishing my metal detecting book this winter.  We don't get a lot of snow where I live, but the cold weather is arriving in the next day or two that will keep me from going out to play.

I came across some of the older 'keeper' coins I've found and a note that listed where and when I found them and the detector and coil I used.  Most of the choice older coins came from a site I had permission for.  It was an unoccupied site, a good chunk of my favorite ghost town, that others have hunted through the years simply because it was there.  A few had been chased off by misguided government folks, but I never had a worry or a problem. I hit it first in early May of '69 and then when I had a whim to travel out to it through the years, but that was with earlier BFO  and TR or TR-Disc. models.  I found stuff, but the efforts with the old equipment was fun but not pleasurable, if you know what I mean.

Then in July of '83 Tesoro introduced their Inca with slow-motion silent-search Discrimination that gave us quick-response and fast-recovery performance and handled nails and iron trash quite well.  Since that July, 36 years ago, that townsite, that I had named 'Twin Flats' Utah became my all-time favorite hunt site.  Not just favorite ghost town, but hunt site.  I filled 4 binders with 2X2 carded coins and had more left  to clean and card.  I haven't had a chance to get back to it the past several years or else it was choked up with dense, tall weeds, plus it has since changed ownership and I'll need to track down the current owner for permission.

But on reflection, while I have used many models from different manufacturers, at least 95% of all the good finds it has surrendered came my way when I had a Tesoro model in-hand.  My production really picked up and held pretty steady ever since the 'original' Bandido was released (March of '90), and the Bandido, Bandido II and Bandido II microMAX (they used the term µMAX) were my favorite models.  Today, I keep two of the Bandido II microMAX units in my Detector Outfit, and it is one of the models I use when evaluating any make or model for handing iron nail contaminated sites.  I don't hesitate to take one afield with the 6" Concentric coil I keep mounted to it because it is a proven performer.  Not the deepest detector, but still an excellent general purpose unit for iron contaminated sites.

The T2 series, and I've had each variant and currently the T2+, has been a very good model for me, especially with the 5" DD coil in heavy litter, but even this model with built-in DST is only a little better when it comes to handling a challenging EMI bothered site.  The XP ORX, however, and I have two of them now, uses bigger-size coils (I have the 5X9½ HF on one and the round 9" X35 on the other) but is hardly bothered by EMI, and my 5 User Coin program has the Sensitivity saved at '99'.  I love the overall package design, ergonomics, balance and simplicity of the T2's, but they have all been more chatty than most anything else.

Monte

I watched the video Phrunt. Only a couple times have I seen my T2 act like that where the numbers are going beserk. Normally F3 works best for me. When I do have it go beserk its because of my pinpointer. Putting it in F3 now has became a habit and it takes away that weirdness.

I took my wedding ring off a couple nights ago and brought it close enough to the coil to get a response. I held it perfectly still and could hear audible "chatter" like I was halfway in pinpoint mode. I thought there had to be motion to get audio but obviously not. I tried another coil on the T2 and same weird thing. I notice my display part on the handle seems to flex a little too. Guess that is normal.

So I tried the same thing with my ring on the ORX. It did it too! So my guess is these things are so sensitive that gold ring even though not moving, creates some sort of mini antenna for EMI in the air. I was in my house doing these tests and do have Wifi and a number of things running.

Still, an interesting little test.