Testing The Vanquish 540

On 3/25/2020 at 6:14 PM, EL NINO77 said:

I did a small separation nailboard test .... on a 4 gram silver coin ...

Vanquish 340 - V10 coil ... gained 5 points out of 8max ..

Equinox 800- 11 "reel ... scored in the nailboard test this 6-6.5 points out of 8 points max ...

Equinox 800 -11 "has been tested in Park2, ... recovery speed 6, IronBias F2 ... has been set to 5 .... to eliminate false signals from nails ...

By default, the Iron Bias F2 at Vanquish. 340 .. guess at value = 4 Equinox ..- ..Vanquish falsifies a little more on nails ..

Equinox 800 on Iron bias F2 =5 .....falsifies on nails less than Vanquish 340 ....

IMG_20200325_170044.jpg

IMG_20200325_165015.jpg

IMG_20200324_123250.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... tonight I did a similar Nailboard test Minelab Vanquish 340 ..but on a small V8 coil...

The results of the separation were definitely much better .... When some time ago I got up to 5 points out of 8max from the Vanquish 340 and the V10 coil in the same test .... now I got up to 7 points out of 8 points max in the same test on the small V8 coil ...

From the comparison of the depth range ... V10 coils and V8 coils I will give out that the range of these coils will not be far from each other ,,, at least on my Vanquish340 ...

The V8 coil is very stable even at the maximum sensitivity of the detector.

Vanquish is very well balanced and compact with the V8 coil ....

I even dare to say ... that if Vanquish were sold in a standard package with a V8 coil, it would be a more advantageous, better and even cheaper / 200 euros / alternative for both beginners and advanced detectors ...

Minelab should think about that ...

Another important thing at least for me .... when we think about it .... that the Vanquish 340 with a V8 coil would be practically worth 200 euros - we get to a technically important milestone ... and this is a multifrequent Pinpointer with a relatively long range and with the exact ID ... in depth .. at a price of 200 euros ....

It's only a matter of time before some manufacturers ... come to market with such a multifrequency pinpointer whith "ID" ...

• Like 3

Nice test El Nino … BTW did you compare the 340/ V8 with your Tesoro /6inches coil on this separation test ?

Palzynski....Thank you .... Right now I came from work ... but in the evening I will compare Vanquish with V8 coil and Tesoro Mojave with 15cm concentric coil on this nailboard test ...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

I even dare to say ... that if Vanquish were sold in a standard package with a V8 coil, it would be a more advantageous, better and even cheaper / 200 euros / alternative for both beginners and advanced detectors ...

I totally agree with that!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, palzynski said:

Nice test El Nino … BTW did you compare the 340/ V8 with your Tesoro /6inches coil on this separation test ?

So ... Separation tests have already been done ... and I included those tests in the Vanquish 340 with a V8 coil ... and also two Analog detectors .... Tesoro Mojave and Vista Gold Gain .... on small 5..7 "coils ...

IMG_20200508_191358.jpg

In the nailbordtest, I tested these three detectors on 2 different conductive coins of the same weight and size .... because I consider it a fair evaluation of any detector in the tests ....

It is more or less the rule that detectors have a bigger problem detecting a high-conductivity silver coin in a nailbord test ... and they achieve better results on a low-conductivity nickel coin ... but there are exceptions ... which happened during this testing ....

IMG_20200508_195217 (2).jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So we start with:

1.Minelab Vanquish with V8 coils in Allmetall won in this nailbord test:

Highly conductive silver coin..result is 7-point out of 8-point max ...

Low-conductivity nickel coin..the result is 8-point out of 8-point max ...

IMG_20200508_192303.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.Tesoro Mojave with 5.7 "concentric coil gained:

Highly conductive silver coin-result is 8 points out of 8max ..

What is interesting, I tried to find the maximum limit of the discrimination setting on Tesoro Mojave .. where it will still fit the high-conductivity silver coin still with the maximum result of 8 points out of 8max .... The safe limit is in the PT area in the picture ....

IMG_20200508_192110.jpg

How to set the discrimination for the best separation result on Low-conductivity nickel coins by writing at the end of the test .... but I can now say that the difference in the setting of discrimination is significant ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Vista Gold Gain with 5.7 "DD  coil  gained:

Highly conductive silver coin..result is 7-point out of 8 points max.

IMG_20200508_192651.jpg

If you raise the spool to 10 -15 centimeters above the Nailboard test, you will also get a result of 8 points out of 8 points max on a highly conductive silver coin ...

Another good and effective setting for Vista Gold Gain for better separation ... which is worth doing is to shift the ground balance to 9 hours -.... as it is in the picture ... -the detector then significantly better separates signals from the coin and when the spool is very low above the nailboard test and you reach 8 points max on both coins ..

IMG_20200508_193859.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When separating low-conductivity nickel coins, however, pay attention "..." and for the best result of 8 points max, you have to set the discrimination on Tesoro Mojave just below the label Foil ... as it is in the second picture ...

So in this case, Tesor has better results in the separation on high-conductivity coins and it distinguishes it from other detectors in the test ... maybe it's also due to the concentric coil ....

IMG_20200508_194528.jpg

• Like 1

Nice test again , so you confirm that the Tesoro Mojave is the best of this test , with a perfect score silver 8/8 and nickel 8/8 ?    

One more thing ( that cannot be seen on static separation tests , but rather on the field ): I found the Vanquish V8 noisy on iron trashed areas compared to my Deus HF , probably because of a lack of small irons filtering by the Vanquish electronics   . Have you planned to do field tests with your 340 V8 ?  I would be interested to have your opinion on this because I think that the Mojave 6inches will do better than the Vanquish V8 on the field. 

Actually I have the same pb ( noisy audio on iron trashed areas ) with the Equinox 6inches , however with the Equinox this can be improved using a high iron bias level at 6 , 7 .

On the other hand I have just been detecting a few hours with my 540 V8 , so perhaps I will find a better setting in the future… And anyway even it is not perfect , this V8 works very well , far better than the V12 in iron trashed areas and thats the most important … And my V12 is dedicated for searching coins in clean areas ...

The second equally important thing from this test is to show what the correct and effective setting of the detector is in the test - I consider it very important and also sufficiently instructive.

As for the test, Tesoro Mojave and Vista Gold Gain, when set correctly, won on both 8/8 and 8/8 coins ..that means maximum evaluation ...

Vanquish 340 which has a fixed iron bias to a high level reached 7/8 and 8/8 points ... which I also consider an excellent result, and I believe that the V540 which also has a low setting Iron biass can reach 8/8 and 8/8 maximum rating ....

These tests are only an approximation of how the detector will work in real field ... but I consider them to be very authoritative ...

So now I will see how Vanquish with a coil will behave in real detection and I will try to directly compare Tesoro Mojave and Vanquish 340 on 20 suspects signals ....in real detection ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'm puzzled by this, with my Equinox or Vanquish if I throw a nail on the ground where I have a coin buried they both hit a rock solid ID on the coin before the nail is there, once the nail is there they're completely blind to the coin.  It doesn't exist anymore, in discrimination mode there is no target at all, in all metal there is only the nail, no sign of the coin.  So if there was any nail right near the surface with a coin under it I'd not find the coin.

That's exactly why I place little stock in nailboard tests as conclusive indicators of relative, real-world detector performance because they are unrealistic 2-D setups.  Whereas the relative adjacent target depth aspect of real world 3-D target distribution in the ground changes the equation significantly as your simple demonstration illustrates.That being said, I find El Nino's test results interesting from a pure intellectual curiosity standpoint.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'm puzzled by this, with my Equinox or Vanquish if I throw a nail on the ground where I have a coin buried they both hit a rock solid ID on the coin before the nail is there, once the nail is there they're completely blind to the coin.  It doesn't exist anymore, in discrimination mode there is no target at all, in all metal there is only the nail, no sign of the coin.  So if there was any nail right near the surface with a coin under it I'd not find the coin.

What are your iron bias settings for your Equinox? Also what recovery speed settings are you using. My experiences have been exactly the opposite but I keep my iron bias settings on 0 or 1 at the most at least on the Equinox. I also use plenty of recovery speed by using the default settings at least unless targets are yards apart and there is little chance of multiple targets in the same spot.

Jeff

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

Yes but with the ElNino board test the nails are adjacent to the coin , so it is not exactly the situation that your are describing ( a 3D situation with a nail above a coin ), so the results are different which is quite logical... 

I prefer to go to a "real world" ( on the field ) to evaluate a detector iron trash separation ability. I have a lot of test areas  that I know very difficult for detectors , a garden near a house can be a good place , and it just take a few minutes to me to see the differences between machines on such areas. So again for the Vanquish 540 V8 it is very good but not as excellent as a Deus/Orx , this is just my opinion. And the Vanquish is more affordable than the Deus/Orx , you cannot have "the butter and the money for the butter" as we say over here ...🙂

BTW I never did 2D board separation tests up to now . Just done depth tests with boxes, which are very interesting and help me a lot to evaluate and adjust detectors settings .. But as soon as I have a little time I will try to make a nail board test and see how it goes... 

• Like 1