2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I found one and figured it was pre-CW.  Now I'm less sure.  But I guess the soldier who wore it was enlisted prior to the time they changed the designation, so in that sense it may be.  Mine is by a different maker -- Bradbury(?) -- that company in Connecticut. 

The context of the site/theater of war usually helps determine when it was lost.  BTW - If you find a button with a “service branch” letter that is post 1854 vintage, that typically designates an officer’s button.  Also, early in the war, Cavalry Officers often also used Eagle “R” (Rifleman) buttons until the Eagle “C” (Cavalry) became commonplace during the CW.  Finally, according to some references, even though the Dragoon units were subsumed into the Cavalry, Eagle D buttons (as well as the other branch buttons, I, A, R, and C) continued to be worn by officers until conversion to the Great Seal style Army uniform button in 1902.  FWIW.

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By kac
      Hitting old grounds but this time using my Tejon and picking out the deeper stuff with the 10x12. Was able to pick out this old naval button 1800's. It was a 2 piece but back was missing. Still has some gold plating left. Not sure what the age is pre or post civ war. 2nd weekend the Tejon keeps winning the day in these picked clean places. Really got my settings down and having fun.

• By Kaolin washer
      Special thanks to Calabash digger for his reasearch on the pitch mode being good in iron , and His heads up on keeping the silencer at -1 so the target does not get masked in iron . well i used the pitch mode on the DEUS and kept the silencer @ -1 and it came thru for me , Got a good hit on many non ferrous targets today and some right next to iron . i was using the full tones but when i seen Calabash diggers VDs on the pitch mode i had to try that and it has proven to work very well  the VDI on this target was 49 and 50 right where a 22 casing comes in  or some foils . glad i dug it 

• By F350Platinum
      I had to go get the first of 2 flu vaccine shots this afternoon so I decided to go out and get some relic hunting in this morning. Went down a hill in back of my house that I think is a trash dump site dating back quite a bit.
      There was a tremendous amount of iron present, but the Equinox did what it does best - tell ya where the good stuff is. Ground balance was about 53, I was in my trusty Farm 2 mode with all metal on, F2/0. Sensitivity 22.
      Got me a small pile of trash, I was only hunting about a half acre overlooking the river.
      Found these old Mason jar seals, usually I find them broken.
      Got a Big ol' ax head, put a penny on it for size:
      And now the finds. Bit of back story, the first button I ever found with a metal detector was from a WW1 military jacket...
      Thought I found another ox knob but it doesn't have threads. 1983 dime, beautiful 1939 wheat penny, a no date wheat. Model T Ford key, back code 69. Could be related to the hubcap I dug in the landing, and the, uh, model T Ford I found in the woods! 😀  Marble, came up with one of the coins. I think it's the kind that is in a paint can to stir the paint. It seemed to have a metal shroud around it, might have been part of the the can. Lug nut with "R". Military device clip, probably for a medal or badge.
      Centerpiece is the find of the day. It took a while to get the stamp to come up, had to use a grill brush and steel wool.
      When you find a dog tag it is obligatory (to me anyway) to find out who it is and attempt to find the family. This is a post-WW1 dog tag for the Marine Corps. The date is the enlistment date.
      Theodore H. Coleman, thanks for your service. 🇺🇲
      It may be related not only to the device clip, but to the jacket button I found along the road back in August.
    • By CVISChris
      We headed out Saturday morning to the camp.  Wife has given up on the Vanquish because all she digs is square nails.  So we swapped detectors later in the day.   She then found an ax head and a big chisel.  I scored the dime and other stuff with the Equinox before the switch.   We bought a curio cabinet to house our growing collection of history so I will include a photo of it.    Hope everyone is doing well out there.  

• By kac
      Was getting my last digs in on some state property before they sell it off for housing development. The areas have been picked cleaned for quite a few years now so takes a bit of patients to squeeze anything out of them.  Yesterday ran my batteries dry on the Multi Kruzer with external lithium pack and half way down on internals only to find a pewter figuring. Top and back are gone but was interesting anyways.
      Today I didn't spend as much time out because it looked like it was going to rain and I was using my Tejon with the 10x12. Hit a hill that I had picked up a reale on few years back and got this nice 1887 IH.  The other thing is a piece of brass enameled on both sides, maybe a decorative tab to something (junk).
      Buddy and I went to another field where I snagged the degraded 1880 IH and this silver clip that looks like it went to a strap. Says Patented OCT 16 1888.
      Think it was on a carry strap to a tool of some sorts, maybe a gun holster? Did some research on items with patents granted at that date but the machines didn't show this part.