Hello,

I am new to the gold prospecting topic. Unfortunately there are almost no forums or websites with gold prospecting related content in Germany due to the fact that areas where it is possible to find gold are relatively rare compared to the USA.

Actually I am looking to pan some gold in the creeks near my village. I am just trying to find a tiny bit of gold in order to proof if the old "tales" in my village about the gold which was found in the small creeks of the so called "blackcreeksystem" (part to the Eder river) nearby  are true or not.

Due to the fact that I haven't been lucky so far, I am now looking to get some tips about how to do it right and how to improve my DIY equipment.

• Like 2

Welcome.

There is a whole prospecting section on the forum with really knowledgeable people there that might be able to help.

Welcome aboard pasju !

You will find many answers to your questions here.

Start your education on the prospecting section of Steve's Guides ...

Open a thread in the Prospector forum and ask away...

• Like 1

Hello Pasju!

Welcome! I wish you much luck in proving the the tales true! But beware, if you are right, you may start a mini gold rush there!⛏💰👍

There are many very experienced gold hunters here that can point you in the right direction!

Good luck!👍👍

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum and if someone here can help you I am sure that they will do so.

What part of Germany are you from? Are you close to Holzhausen or are you closer to Gensungen?

Start by taking samples of the area you want to check and classify it down and check for even the tiniest specks of gold in a pan. Then keep trying to find an area that will get you good colors in your pan.

What type of equipment do you have, and what help are you looking for?

Good luck and let us know what you need and where you live because it really helps us to provide you with the best ways to find the gold.

• Like 1

I live approximately 50km north of Holzhausen(Greifenstein).

Right now I am using a 15" pan and my small DIY sluice box that is built from some scrap aluminum sheet metal and contoured plates which I printed with a 3D resin printer. I just drew a few different types of riffles into the plates and hoped that it might work.

One question I have is if the DIY sluice box can concentrate gold and heavy grains at all or if I made some mistakes with those contours etc. 

Last time I took two neodymium magnets and placed them at the end of the sluice box in order to see if there is magnetite or any magnetic ore present in the material and it didn't took long until the magnet was completely covered. Therefore I would like to ask if this could mean that I am looking at the right spot if there is magnetic sand is present or could it mean that I am doing something wrong with the sluice box due to the fact that the magnetic stuff wasn't collected inside the riffles? Or could it be that the magnet thing could give me a false reading about the whole prospecting situation?

20210412_180610.jpg

20210413_152012.jpg

• Like 4

Trust your pan to show you "the right spot" to set up that sluice.

Test those ripples with bird shot or some pickers/specs from the pan.

(I learned that just reading posts here . You can prospect for clues on these pages too !)

• Like 1
10 hours ago, pasju said:

I just drew a few different types of riffles into the plates and hoped that it might work.

Welcome, pasju! Riffles are typically designed to set up vertical eddy currents to encourage the small gold to collect at the bottom surface of the sluice.  I found this image and this site.  (I don't know the reliability of the info at that site, though, since I'm no expert on sluice box design and operation.)

What kind (and brand) of pan do you have?

sluice_eddy.thumb.png.13320f4f05d2addbd0c8118206d272e9.png

• Like 2