Quest Xpointer Max Review (update 2)

Interesting update:

Just for the heck of it I decided to try the pointer with an external battery plugged in as if in an emergency.20211208_095041.thumb.jpg.143cdebdb9e2e35895d476c150c941d5.jpg

Sadly the Xpointer will not turn on when a battery is plugged in. This is why an external fast charging (PD) magnetic connector would add a significant feature.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Interesting update:

Just for the heck of it I decided to try the pointer with an external battery plugged in as if in an emergency.20211208_095041.thumb.jpg.143cdebdb9e2e35895d476c150c941d5.jpg

Sadly the Xpointer will not turn on when a battery is plugged in. This is why an external fast charging (PD) magnetic connector would add a significant feature.

I wonder if that is deliberate. Using a pinpointer like that would probably be asking for trouble with all the dirt and moisture that can potentially come inside.

On second thought,they advertise being able to use it with headphones without the rear cap/speaker on...

• Like 2

Just now, mh9162013 said:

I wonder if that is deliberate. Using a pinpointer like that would probably be asking for trouble with all the dirt and moisture that can potentially come inside.

On second thought,they advertise being able to use it with headphones without the rear cap/speaker on...

I'm just spoiled by the Equinox and its magnetic PD port. 😀 I could probably take bungeeing the battery to it in a pinch, but only if the connector was external. I'll just have to make sure I have the Carrot in my truck with a lithium battery in it, or add another 190g to my belt, but I like to travel light🤣

13 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I'm just spoiled by the Equinox and its magnetic PD port. 😀 I could probably take bungeeing the battery to it in a pinch, but only if the connector was external. I'll just have to make sure I have the Carrot in my truck with a lithium battery in it, or add another 190g to my belt, but I like to travel light🤣

Maybe it's just my Garrett Carrot, but I've noticed that this will lead to unreliable operation due to the 9V battery contacts pushing down on the battery terminals of the Carrot (then they get "stuck" that way, requiring extra spacers to be used in the battery cap. This is similar to the issue of storing gun magazines fully loaded and weakening the springs). Also, while I haven't confirmed it, I think the Carrot has a small bit of parastic draw. So if your battery is in storage for a while (12+ months), it could be closer to dead than full when you finally need it.

Another option is to install the 9V battery upside down, but the cap won't fully close (although it closes far enough to create a waterproof seal).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Calmark said:

Thank you for giving us a thoughtful review of your findings on this Quest pin-pointer.  Extra depth should save time by using it to find more precisely where targets are located from the surface and limit damaging something rare and valuable when digging.  I bought a Fisher Pulse that goes a bit deeper on coins in ground than my carrot and it helps save digging time that way.  :biggrin:

One idea I had for users of this pin-pointer and others using a protective tip, is to perhaps use the electrical shrink wrap and shrink some of it over where the protective cap on the tip snags the holster.  This might also help to keep from getting mud and gunk underneath it.  

Thanks to suggestions from you and @Voyager32, I widened the hole with a sharp Swiss army knife and a lighter to seal loose ends, then put a small amount of electrical tape on the tip protector. All that's left is the snap, we will see how it holds up.20211208_185710.thumb.jpg.7e46ec874d4570f447d959efd5751a26.jpg

• Like 3

Something confusing me, 14 hour battery life and people are concerned it will last a couple of hunts, that's 14 hours where it's powered on, during your 8 hour hunt you might only have it turned on for 20 minutes, it should last a long time.  -- update, just read some of the comments and see this is already pointed out 🙂 I was going to skip reading the comments, lucky I did.

Good review so far,  I wonder if I should try one.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Something confusing me, 14 hour battery life and people are concerned it will last a couple of hunts, that's 14 hours where it's powered on, during your 8 hour hunt you might only have it turned on for 20 minutes, it should last a long time.  -- update, just read some of the comments and see this is already pointed out 🙂 I was going to skip reading the comments, lucky I did.

Good review so far,  I wonder if I should try one.

If you're nervous about it, I plan to beat the heck out of it in the field and the water next week vs. the Propointer AT. This will be an ongoing thread with corrections (because I am new to detecting, one year on the forum soon) and suggestions. If you would like me to test something I will try.

Thanks, yes comparing to the Pro Pointer AT is all I'm interested in, I don't particularly like any other pinpointer, and I've just about got them all.  The AT is currently the only one I like for my purposes.  If I was more of a beach hunter I'd be more interested in using my F-Pulse over the AT but in my inland gold and coin areas the AT goes just as deep as the F-Pulse but more sensitive and just works better for me. 

Every other pinpointer I've been disappointed in, other than the XP which is good, but just not as good as my Carrot for my purposes which are small gold and coins in mild soils.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Thanks, yes comparing to the Pro Pointer AT is all I'm interested in, I don't particularly like any other pinpointer, and I've just about got them all.  The AT is currently the only one I like for my purposes.  If I was more of a beach hunter I'd be more interested in using my F-Pulse over the AT but in my inland gold and coin areas the AT goes just as deep as the F-Pulse but more sensitive and just works better for me. 

Every other pinpointer I've been disappointed in, other than the XP which is good, but just not as good as my Carrot for my purposes which are small gold and coins in mild soils.

Thus far I've seen that in boost sensitivity mode (I joked about that in another thread) it has an advantage over the AT, about 1 to 2 inches with large objects, and about 1/2 inch on tiny ones. Even ratchet mode seems eerily similar. Another member commented that he runs his in lower sensitivity to correct "falsing" and it doesn't seem to lose much. The tiny target was a .177 caliber air rifle pellet made of lead which identified at about 2" as non ferrous. The AT sounded off at about 1.5".

There aren't many great test videos out there as yet, one in a foreign language, and a German one in English that just covers operation. One guy uses a monitor! 🤣 The rest are pure hype, and everyone takes the inner gasket off to hide that flaw.

I'm not a YouTube guy. All I'm doing here is learning to write reviews the hard way, write my impressions and get my butt kicked for it 🙄

• Like 4