Deus 2 Vs Nox 12" Deep Gold Ring Beach Modes 11" Coils

Jeff McClendon

Another great comparison from Calabash Digger. Deus 2 with 11" coil vs Equinox with 11" coil in default beach modes.

• Like 1

If this has already been posted.....SORRY.

This test shows a couple of things that I can see and hear.

The Deus 2 handles EMI fairly well. The Equinox does not handle high EMI nearly as well and that is coming from someone who likes the Equinox way more than the original Deus 1. 

The Deus 2 Beach modes with factory default turn on and go settings are setup much better for the serious user than the Equinox Beach modes. Many Equinox Beach mode users that are after deeper targets use only 1 or 2 tones with every target accepted. I like two tones best too and am looking for any possible ferrous/non ferrous identification insights from the target responses. On deeper targets the responses may be half and half (or worse towards iron) ferrous/non ferrous. So rejecting the iron range by factory default kills many of the deep target responses on gold and even silver jewelry. However, opening up the full target ID range on the Equinox just makes EMI handling worse and actual in the ground target responses harder to hear. This has happened to me too often at beach sites. No choice but to turn the sensitivity down and there goes at least 3" of overall depth. Opening up the target ID range also brings all of the shallower beach iron targets into play. Can't have that if one is a beginner or casual detector user.

This also shows how much more effective version 3 and later Deus 1 and now Deus 2's iron response handling capabilities really are and how much tweaking is needed to get the Equinox to handle iron responses more effectively. 

The Deus 2 default programs (and the Deus 1 programs that I often use) have been well thought out as far as settings chosen and perform extremely well even on tough targets just using turn on and go. As shown in Calabash's recent comparison videos the Equinox almost seems to be handicapped by many of its default settings as if Minelab was trying to satisfy hobby or more casual users and "keep them out of trouble' with the default settings. Those default settings are too safe and don't let the Equinox really "show off" in my opinion.

The Deus 2 is one amazing detector and is geared towards the serious hobbyist, expert or professional for sure as was Deus 1.

• Like 9

• The title was changed to Deus 2 Vs Nox 12" Deep Gold Ring Beach Modes 11" Coils
1 hour ago, midalake said:

Let's cut to the chase Jeff.

The Equinox got it's ACE handed to it in this test!!!!!!!!!!!

that is probably true but.......those are not the Equinox settings I would have used in high EMI on a 12" deep gold target in sand. In that heavy of an EMI environment I may have given the Nox a pass and just tested the Deus 2 without the comparison.

6 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

that is probably true but.......those are not the Equinox settings I would have used in high EMI on a 12" deep gold target in sand. In that heavy of an EMI environment I may have given the Nox a pass and just tested the Deus 2 without the comparison.

I see when he switched to Beach 1 the EMI was less.  I think the test is a fair one. EMI be darned.  Two detectors in the same spot same target. One lost.

I have heard that Deus2 pretty chirpy too in some EMI tests. 

I would bet that I could of heard that ring in horseshoe mode on the Equinox and made a 100% ID of a non-ferrous target.  

11 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

So rejecting the iron range by factory default kills many of the deep target responses on gold and even silver jewelry. However, opening up the full target ID range on the Equinox just makes EMI handling worse and actual in the ground target responses harder to hear.

That might be perceived. But just because the default discrimination beach modes might be slightly quieter to EMI, do not expect better depth performance as compared to Horseshoe mode. 

11 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Opening up the target ID range also brings all of the shallower beach iron targets into play. Can't have that if one is a beginner or casual detector user.

If in horseshoe mode Jeff, shallow targets which double ring with minus numbers, that target is ferrous 100% of the time.  Non-Ferrous targets do have the ability to double ring. But it will be a very shallow target with all positive numbers.    

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, midalake said:

So curious?  If you were on a wet salt beach. What settings would you have had? 

East coast USA with medium to low iron sand, I would be in Beach 1, 2 tones, nothing rejected, running as hot as possible with ground balance tracking, F2 as low as possible, and recovery speed where the targets sound best to my ears but not above 5. Beach 2, similar settings when Beach 1 is unstable.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, midalake said:

So curious?  If you were on a wet salt beach. What settings would you have had? 

East coast USA with medium to low iron sand, I would be in Beach 1, 2 tones, nothing rejected, running as hot as possible with ground balance tracking, F2 as low as possible, and recovery speed where the targets sound best to my ears but not above 5. Beach 2, similar settings when Beach 1 is unstable.

Just now, midalake said:

OK, define nothing rejected?  Would you be running in Horseshoe mode? Or just typical ferrous bin rejected? 

Nothing rejected means nothing rejected.

I don’t use the horseshoe button when I am planning to run a mode with nothing rejected. That way if I accidentally hit the horseshoe button my settings won’t change. So I manually accept all iron range targets with the accept/reject feature so Beach 1 and Beach 2 are preset for -9 to +40.

• Like 2