Manticore At The Beach

strick

17 minutes ago, strick said:

.I don't think there is a halo because stuff gets moved around on the beach...

There are two different scenarios that I "lose" a target after detected. 

First: I just plain move the target. Sideway's, deeper...whatever

The Second and more popular.  Open the hole and it fills with water. For some reason Minelabs hate this. All is well until that hole fills with water. Whether you moved the target or not.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2023 at 7:13 PM, F350Platinum said:

Wow! Nice run strick, glad you got some gold. Looks like you're getting in stride with that detector! 👍

And ya always find something cool to take a photo of. 😎

Thanks 350 That tree trunk is hard to describe how big it really is...it's hollow on the inside. And it landed perfectly up right? after my photo a guy and his wife stopped to take pictures with him standing on top of it. 

An interesting thing happened...I was detecting minding my own business and here comes this dude walking toward me with a concerned look carrying his detector (not swinging it) He wanted to talk. So I take off my head phones. He had  brand new 800 said he was learning how to use it. I told him that I had one as well. He had  zip lock bag with 3 pennies a quarter and a dime that he had found. I asked him where are your headphones as the waves are crashing..I did not bring them he says lol.. So I start going through the menu showing him how to use the functions and I set the detector up the way I would be using it....I could tell he was getting nervous at all the buttons I was pushing lol. I told him how to do a factory reset if he wanted. He thanked me and took off detecting...a few minutes later I find the gold pendant...hmmm.....

About 30 minutes go by and here he comes again looking much happier this time...great now he's going to show me a big fat gold ring Im thinking...(he was hunting about 75 yards in front of me) I asked did you find something good? He says he just wanted to thank me again as he was leaving and he said "I don't know what you did to that machine but I was finding stuff left and right after you adjusted it" 😁   a few minutes later I find the nice silver woven mens wedding band...hmmm 

strick 

• Like 6

Did that tree trunk wash up there or has the coastline eroded that much over time? That was a mighty tree long ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JCR said:

Did that tree trunk wash up there or has the coastline eroded that much over time? That was a mighty tree long ago.

Everything there has been washed up..

strick

• Like 1

Its mid summer here so I have been to the beach 11 times with the Manticore.

There is a jetty (Pier/wharf) that i would regularly go under that would send the 800 crazy from EMI - the Manticore does not know its there. I run it at about 22 on the beach so it is nice and quiet - still have not found a place (land or sea) where i can run it greater than 24.  With the 800 i would regularly  dig 4 or 5 bottle caps on every hunt - that has stopped now though i still dig ring pulls just in case. It certainly feels like it it is a more powerful machine and it is finding plenty (including my first Manti gold ring)  on the beach but time will tell after more extensive use.

Amazing how quickly you get use to the screen ID and rely on it - i tried the 800 again and kept on looking at the screen for more information.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, strick said:

As mentioned it happens with the nox as well. It's and interesting thing maybe the target is sinking or the orientation is disturbed...I don't think there is a halo because stuff gets moved around on the beach...maybe some "beach expert" can educate us on how this happens...

strick

I should have been more specific that my experience is with the Equinox. Had it happen a few times last trip to Maui. Your post was the first time I've heard of this happening so now I'll keep digging until the target comes out of the hole. I appreciate the advise. Next trip over will be with a Manticore!

• Like 1

First thing I noticed with mine was it’s immunity you EMI, I detected the lake front for a bit yesterday and I was able to run it with the sensitivity maxed out and it just had the odd burp and fart with no false EMI target IDs coming up, if I can do this in the gold areas with the small coil I’ll be happy. 

I’m about to take it to a salt beach for a detect now and see how I go with sensitivity, the beach is in quite a big city.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, VicR said:

Its mid summer here so I have been to the beach 11 times with the Manticore.

There is a jetty (Pier/wharf) that i would regularly go under that would send the 800 crazy from EMI - the Manticore does not know its there. I run it at about 22 on the beach so it is nice and quiet - still have not found a place (land or sea) where i can run it greater than 24.  With the 800 i would regularly  dig 4 or 5 bottle caps on every hunt - that has stopped now though i still dig ring pulls just in case. It certainly feels like it it is a more powerful machine and it is finding plenty (including my first Manti gold ring)  on the beach but time will tell after more extensive use.

Amazing how quickly you get use to the screen ID and rely on it - i tried the 800 again and kept on looking at the screen for more information.

I have some fresh water beaches and swimming holes where there are 2-3 bottle caps to the scoop at times...This is a big deal for me. My CTX would disk them out OK but it was slow and the black sand killed the depth. I hated the way the 800 sounded and acted when running the f2 at high end which is what I had to do to make it kinda work. The Deus 2 I never really gave a chance (my fault) because I'm not fond of the antenna which turned brown after the first dunk and I don't like that style shaft for water hunting....I bought it for relic hunting anyways..The M-core seems to be doing a good job so far...I tested a bunch of gold rings and none of them read into the bottle cap reject area...

strick

• Like 3

10 hours ago, strick said:

a few minutes later I find the nice silver woven mens wedding band...hmmm

Karma. I'm not superstitious, but doing good gets good. 👍

So who helicoptered a redwood to the beach? 🤣 Looks huge. That would make a hell of a photo background with all the stuff you're digging lately... 🤔

• Like 2

On 1/16/2023 at 6:13 PM, strick said:

The manticore ID's these targets correctly and with a faint whisper but then after the first scoop or two the target may entirely disappear...never fear it's still down there just keep scooping till it's out.

This was my situation today and more often than I care to recall lately with my 800.  You dig and poof.  You have to circle the hole to make sure you didn't get it out and shake it out of the scoop.

I was wondering if this happened with the Mcore but you already said that it does.  Thanks.

• Like 1