Prospect Rules And Areas In Nsw..?

Hi guys just wonder if anyone familiar with prospecting regulations in NSW🤭? I have been checking on gov website saying need a permit if prospect in state forest..but didn't really give much info about what the forests are??? Anyone used to prospect in forests????

Also I met a guy from gumtree told me he got some gold from tibooburra. There is no forest there..? He said only need to pay some money to petrol station to prospect...I am a bit confused.  😑

I was meant to go to WA this year but new car is still waiting till July so IDK if I can make it. If not I👽 will go to NSW. 😌

yes Ethan, out at Tibooburra in western NSW you can pay a fee to detect and camp on the large grazing leases (farms) or you can stay at the van park in Tibooburra and may a small fee to detect on the Common, which is an area that people an go walking or riding or taking photographs etc a common area for everyone.

Or you can still stay in the van park and have all the conveniences and still pay to detect on the large grazing leases

As for the permits to detect in the "Forests" it is all a bit confusing as you need to know which ones you want to go to

cheers dave  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Ethan, take a look at Min View, It's what I've used and I'm old and not very 'Tech' savvy. It's got all the 'layers' you need, you'll figure it out. As Dave said Tibooburra is a good starting point for over winter and close for you, the drive from Adelaide is great. I'm planning a trip this winter, I'd love to meet up and have someone to camp with ? What detector did you end up with ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, blackjack said:

Hey Ethan, take a look at Min View, It's what I've used and I'm old and not very 'Tech' savvy. It's got all the 'layers' you need, you'll figure it out. As Dave said Tibooburra is a good starting point for over winter and close for you, the drive from Adelaide is great. I'm planning a trip this winter, I'd love to meet up and have someone to camp with ? What detector did you end up with ? 

Hey Jack, where you plan to go this winter? Surely if we go same place I'd love to catch up with you..I haven't found my first nugget yet lol.

I end up bought a second hand GPZ7000.  What detector you using now? I have both 6000 and 7000 😊

• Like 1

16 hours ago, davsgold said:

yes Ethan, out at Tibooburra in western NSW you can pay a fee to detect and camp on the large grazing leases (farms) or you can stay at the van park in Tibooburra and may a small fee to detect on the Common, which is an area that people an go walking or riding or taking photographs etc a common area for everyone.

Or you can still stay in the van park and have all the conveniences and still pay to detect on the large grazing leases

As for the permits to detect in the "Forests" it is all a bit confusing as you need to know which ones you want to go to

cheers dave  

Dave, thanks. Is there any links of informations to those farms or van park so I can have a research onto?

Kind regards,
Ethan

9 hours ago, Ethan in Adelaide said:

Hey Jack, where you plan to go this winter? Surely if we go same place I'd love to catch up with you..I haven't found my first nugget yet lol.

I end up bought a second hand GPZ7000.  What detector you using now? I have both 6000 and 7000 😊

Hey Ethan Tibooburra is where I'm planning to go, It's the nearest one for me that would have warm weather in winter, also there are a lot of options, the gold fields are spread over a wide area and most people find gold, however it's not known for having large nuggets. You may have more chance of finding SOME gold than in W.A. this may be disputed by West Australians, but I grew up in W.A. and have done a lot of prospecting there. I'm not suggesting W.A is no good, obviously, it's one of the best places on the planet, but the gold fields are spread out over a large area and without local knowledge or contacts, I believe Tibooburra is easier to find gold. As to where to go there, go to Min View put Tibooburra in the search bar, look in Add Layers go to mineral resources and then click on mineral occurrences. Change the base layer to NSW base map, bingo your own treasure map. As Dave said for a small fee you can get access to the common an area close to Tibooburra, but you can also get permission to camp and prospect on Mt.Stuart station for a daily fee, from memory its not much $/day. It's way easier than the permissions you need in W.A. also Adelaide to Tibooburra 847klm. Adelaide to Leonora 2,400klm. 

• Like 2

Ethan, your best bet is Tibooburra. Comfy place at the Van park or at the National park camp ground. Walking distance to gold at either spot. Obviously the van park is more amenable, being right in town. Fees are applicable to detect on 2 stations plus a lower fee for the town common. All the fees are payable at the roadhouse nowadays. Your GPX6000 will be the go-to detector, get yourself a 10x5 or 12x7 mono coil and crank it up to auto 1 and try 'normal' mode. Listen for whisper signals. Your 7000 will only be useful in creek beds and sandy flats where its depth advantage will be suited. The gold is generally small <1gram but good operators can often find 1-2 grams a day even on the common.

Tibooburra &nbsp;accom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blackjack said:

Hey Ethan Tibooburra is where I'm planning to go, It's the nearest one for me that would have warm weather in winter, also there are a lot of options, the gold fields are spread over a wide area and most people find gold, however it's not known for having large nuggets. You may have more chance of finding SOME gold than in W.A. this may be disputed by West Australians, but I grew up in W.A. and have done a lot of prospecting there. I'm not suggesting W.A is no good, obviously, it's one of the best places on the planet, but the gold fields are spread out over a large area and without local knowledge or contacts, I believe Tibooburra is easier to find gold. As to where to go there, go to Min View put Tibooburra in the search bar, look in Add Layers go to mineral resources and then click on mineral occurrences. Change the base layer to NSW base map, bingo your own treasure map. As Dave said for a small fee you can get access to the common an area close to Tibooburra, but you can also get permission to camp and prospect on Mt.Stuart station for a daily fee, from memory its not much $/day. It's way easier than the permissions you need in W.A. also Adelaide to Tibooburra 847klm. Adelaide to Leonora 2,400klm. 

Jack, this sounds very promising to me. Maybe We can meet there this year at some point If I do go there? We ordered new ute and wont come till late June then needs to put bull bar etc...So maybe only get ready by mid July this year. And yes I will have a look tonight for the map again. 

Many thanks,

Ethan

36 minutes ago, Aureous said:

Ethan, your best bet is Tibooburra. Comfy place at the Van park or at the National park camp ground. Walking distance to gold at either spot. Obviously the van park is more amenable, being right in town. Fees are applicable to detect on 2 stations plus a lower fee for the town common. All the fees are payable at the roadhouse nowadays. Your GPX6000 will be the go-to detector, get yourself a 10x5 or 12x7 mono coil and crank it up to auto 1 and try 'normal' mode. Listen for whisper signals. Your 7000 will only be useful in creek beds and sandy flats where its depth advantage will be suited. The gold is generally small <1gram but good operators can often find 1-2 grams a day even on the common.

Tibooburra &nbsp;accom

Thank you Aureous. We will definitely think about it. Does that area have phone coverage?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Adelaide said:

Does that area have phone coverage?

As long as you don't use an Optus-based carrier, YES. Tibooburra phone signal coverage

• Like 1