Minelabs X-Terra Pro.... Anyone Enjoying Theirs?

Did not know where to put this so I placed it here in the eq forum. 

Who is enjoying their new xterra pro??

I have one and it is a well made unit but I am finding it to be more of a tone ID unit since the VDI numbers fly around a bit.

Now with that said....it still picks goodies out of the trash...and it does ID a coin in clean ground.....but do not expect any miracles on accurate ID at average  depths much less deeper targets. 

But if you put a stock 11 inch equinox coil on it it does calm the numbers down a bit with more accurate ID in my soil. 

My ground conditions are mild. I am afraid that you fellows who live in high ground mineralization will be disappointed if the area you live in have those conditions. 

Anyways.....what are some of your thoughts on it?

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

I have had similar experience, I am impressed with the Nox 6 inch round, but my time has been limited. I have been expecting people to post great finds, I think they will be coming based on some comparisons I have done with the Nox 800 and Manticore.

My wish to the Minelab software engineers is to tighten up the IDs on the Pro and Manticore and likely the Nox 7 and 9. 

The expanded VID range is very helpful, but it seems to have come at a cost. 

• Like 3

I have no problem with people buying a detector like the X-Terra Pro for less intense beach or turf hunting where audio response is sufficient to dig. If target IDs are important........that's another story entirely.

I am not going to sugar coat this just because the X-Terra Pro says Minelab on it.

Owning the Equinox models since they were released, I am well aquainted with their single frequency operation in moderate to high mineralization. Up averaging of deeper targets using single frequency was severe, just like it was with the older X-Terra series, the selectable frequency Deus 1, ORX, Deus 2 Mono, Legend and any other detector that was only using a single frequency. I posted about it and made a long chart with a comparison of target ID accuracy for single frequency and SMF using the same detector. At least out here in higher iron mineralization, there was a huge difference in target ID accuracy. 15 kHz was by far the closest to ID quarters correctly here. Lower conductor and smaller high conductor coins....nope. The 6" nickel IDs are pretty good for all of the detectors charted using their SMF tech. The 6" clad dime IDs are slightly up averaged from surface clad dime IDs on all of the detectors using SMF tech in that test.

So, anyone expecting accurate target IDs using 5, 10 or 15 kHz on the X-Terra Pro on medium to deep targets just because it looks like an Equinox Lite, better have super mild soil or beach conditions. Otherwise, there is not enough secret sauce in the Equinox single frequency operation (which includes the X-Terra Pro) to make miracles suddenly happen.

DSCN0481.jpeg

• Like 6

I or we didn't mean to strike a nerve bringing up target IDs, my concern is more with my Manticore and pro that seem to jump around the same in ground or even with air tests of coins.  Or square tabs on top of the ground.

The Nox 800 seemed better, maybe only because of the condensed target range, but still seemed better.

• Like 3

I guess it seems maybe I am the only one who seems to think it is a fun unit??

What I mean by fun is this....It doesn't break the bank and it finds targets.

Good ergonomics and large nice display. 

I do not know if the software can be upgraded in the future. Maybe it can. 

But as a detectorist that started out with beep and dig machines from the 70s and 80s....it is a good unit. 

Yes it is a neutered eq600..... But with that said, it still gets good depth and finds things in the ground.

I already know with the 6 inch eq coil on the xterra pro is way better that the original xterra 50 with the 6 inch 18khz coil from my experience. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Dug D said:

I or we didn't mean to strike a nerve bringing up target IDs, my concern is more with my Manticore and pro that seem to jump around the same in ground or even with air tests of coins.  Or square tabs on top of the ground.

The Nox 800 seemed better, maybe only because of the condensed target range, but still seemed better.

Probably has something to do with the condensed target range, which also would make the unit more stable when said target stays within that block of conductivity. 

I can see where that would benefit better.

• Like 1

I hope nobody has had a nerve struck.

I don't own an X-Terra Pro. I do own a Nox 800 and a Nox 900 which appear to operate very similarly using them in 5, 10 and 15 kHz single frequency.

Like bigtim1973 said, the X-Terra Pro "doesn't break the bank and it will find targets".

Wondering about target ID stability on a $269 selectable single frequency detector is one thing. Wondering about it on an $1099 or $1599 detector from the same manufacturer with similar target ID scale and a lot more advanced technology is another.

If I lived in an area with very low mineralization or was mostly a lake/beach hunter and needed a backup/loaner detector, I would definitely be looking seriously at getting a fun detector like the X-Terra Pro. A selectable single frequency waterproof detector with a working saltwater beach mode, wireless, great coil selection and very lightweight for less than even $600 would be a good deal. Less than $300, amazing. 

Anyone just starting out detecting with very mild soil/beach conditions has to at least consider the X-Terra Pro.

It might still be a little early in the game for good find reports.

Nothing wrong with talking about tendencies, characteristics and impressions of this new detector.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, bigtim1973 said:

Looks like you have paid for your new xterra already!!!

Yes, it's already paid.

The vibration function is remarkable in the water (and you can cancel ferrous only).

Keypad backlight! ...whoever has a Legend knows what I'm talking about.

And pinpointer mode finally works.

The wedding band rang out in a clear and solid 22-23. From the beginning I knew it was there.

The audio is really good and now you got All Tones (At) and Deep (dP), what more could you want ?!?!...

I reserve the test on the beach with the 15' Coiltek coil for a little later. I think it will be awesome!

The €1 coin over 12 inches.

Perhaps the new X-Terra Pro will be the next game changer...

IMG_20221211_180640.jpg

• Like 9