A quick specification comparison of the two detectors.

whites-goldmaster-24k-versus-gmt.jpg
White's Goldmaster Goldmaster 24K versus White's GMT

White's GMT Instruction Manual

GMT Information Page

White's Goldmaster 24K Advanced Guide

24K Information Page

Despite similarities these two detectors have a different lineage. The GMT was part of the effort involving engineer Dave Johnson that resulted in both the GMT and MXT. The Goldmaster 24K however I am almost 100% certain is an offshoot of the MX5 project, variants of which also include the MX7 and MX Sport.

Notes on the chart above. The GMT has the ability to directly manipulate the ground balance up and down via the plus and minus buttons on the pod face. The Goldmaster 24K (GMK) relies on either automatic ground tracking or the ground grab, features the GMT also shares. However, the GMK has a ground balance offset feature. Under the section titled "Ground Scan" on page 15 of the White's Goldmaster 24K Advanced Guide:

"In Ground Scan you can also set a ground offset by using the UP and DOWN arrows. This selection will affect the ground offset in normal search mode whether using XGB or locked settings."

Note that the offset, once set, is active in both ground tracking mode and when using the ground grab function. Normally a manual ground balance is used to just tweak the setting derived from tracking or ground grab up or down a small amount. This can be done with the 24K but in a different fashion than the GMT. The fact the offset is active while in ground tracking actually gives the GMK an ability the GMT lacks.

The Goldmaster 24K has a volume control the GMT lacks.

A real biggie in my opinion is that the GMK can completely block the audio from ferrous targets. The best you could get with the GMT is an audio "iron grunt" on ferrous, but no way to shut it up. This is even more an issue when you get into some bad hot rocks that signal as iron. The GMT can get pretty noisy, but the GMK allows those signals to be blocked. It can in fact also block ferrous "wrap around" signals where ferrous reads very high on the scale, almost like a silver target.

Coils compatible? That very important note is to warn you that all past Goldmaster/GMT coils are not compatible with the new Goldmaster 24K. Just another tip that these really are different detectors under the hood.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Steve,  Great side by side comparison.  You brought up some pretty good bits of info and I personally have put at least 100 hours on the 24K.  Not having a manual at first, I was not able to do the Ground Offset, but now it is used often kind of like a hot ground balance...or cold if really bad soil.

The 24K runs much smoother and is easier for a beginner or novice hunter that only goes 5 to 10 times a year.  They will enjoy the new added features of the 24K and its better price point too.

Well done my friend.

• Like 1

Thanks Gerry - this was a quickie guide. If you liked it then here is the magnum opus :smile:....

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Aureous
      Hi, I just had to register and reply to this thread. I own a Fisher Gold Bug 2, a Gold Monster 1000 and now a Whites Goldmaster 24K. Ive also owned a Goldmaster Vsat, Goldmaster III and a GMT. Having used all of these, I have to say that the 24K isnt the most sensitive of the high frequency VLF's out there. Right now, the old Gold Bug 2 with the 6.5x3" is still king of the heap and the GM1000 is able to beat that under some circumstances. BUT, the 24K has the smoothest ground balance Ive ever used and rock-stable threshold. It finds deeper sub-gram gold than all of them using that 6.5" concentric coil. I had the opportunity to run side by side with a friend using a GM1000 and although he got 6 bits of gold to my 2, all but one of them was under .05, whereas my 2 weighed .4gm. I also found 22 bits of junk, versus his 4. All of this was from a patch that has been completely hammered over 3 decades. Last few times I used a GB2 there, I got nothing. Methinks the higher coil power and the matched concentric coil along with the XGB tracking make for a very powerful new machine for small gold. I am very keen to try the upcoming 6x3 shooter DD coil soon as the 10x5 seems pretty good on hotter ground here in Victoria. I'll keep you all posted with my finds. One thing I MUST say about the GM1000 in comparison though....some guys here are using them to great effect by ignoring the basic rule of reducing sensitivity to allow proper ground balance. They run them flat out at manual 10 sensitivity and then cannot even ground balance....but on quiet or mild ground, the digital audio of the Monster eliminates much of the noise and the tiniest gold can be 'plucked' from the pops, clicks and farts of the SAT adjustments and hot rock re-tunes.....but only by those people who have their 'ears tuned' to the sounds properly. Me personally, these noises are maddening and I rush back to the smoothness of the 24K and listen for the bigger, weightier targets. Stay tuned for results here folks!
    • By Mike Hillis
      I've been looking hard at what to pair up to my F75 for jewelry hunting, specifically Micro jewelry hunting.   The Whites 24K is under consideration for this.  I like the audio boost features, the iron cancel, hot rock cancel and the non-normalized TID number spread.  I also like that it has a concentric coil offering.    I guess the main question is, will it actually detect micro jewelry good enough to make me choose it over the Goldbug II.     
      My Micro jewelry measurement target is a 3mm 4-prong 10k White Gold earring post.   
      Any feedback is helpful. 
      HH
      Mike 

• By Steve Herschbach
      White's GMZ Operating Instructions, 353 KB pdf file, 3 pages
      White's GMZ - Steve's Review
      White's Metal Detector Forum
    • By Steve Herschbach
      White's Goldmaster GMT Owner's Guide, 2.82 MB pdf file, 31 pages
      White's Goldmaster GMT Data & Reviews
      White's Metal Detector Forum
    • By Steve Herschbach